College student want 2lose weight/get toned. Do insanity?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm a college student looking to lose around 20lbs and get toned. I was a varsity swimmer in high school and I also play regular pick up basketball. I'm around 165lbs- goal is around 140-145

I was never toned or ripped (unlike the stereotypical swimmer) and I was never that strong (I can't do a pull up). I also haven't been working out regularly but I'm not like so out of shape

Do I need initial muscle to do insanity? Or do you recommend I try to do it?

Thank you!

-Risingstar9

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Insanity is good more for fat loss than weight loss so if you're going to do it, throw your scale away! At the end you'll still look AWESOME but your scale may not show it.

Insanity IS an extreme workout for a reason: it's damned hard! But I couldn't do pull-ups and I managed to finish the whole program. It's not easy for ANYONE, even the fittest people in the world but if you stick to it and follow the nutrition guide, the results are SO worth it!

Feel free to friend me and ask questions!
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Go for it if it appeals to you. They call it insanity for good reason though, it's really tough even for people in great shape but don't let that discourage you. Do as much of each workout as you can until you can get through the whole workout.
  • as124
    as124 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have the same story. Same weight and goals, college student. I was always relatively fit in high school and worked out often. I personally don't think I could handle insanity, but I've been losing weight perfectly fine just on deficit and weight training and cardio. But if you feel like Insanity will work for you, you should try it. I have heard great things about it, I just think you have to be mentally ready to handle a workout like that. Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Find a program you enjoy and can stick with ... insanity (or any other class/video exercise program), run, swim, bike, lift .. or a combination.