stomach bug weight loss?

Options
Hi everyone! i have seem to have come down with a nasty stomach bug. I wouldnt wish it upon anyone, but I just weighed myself and apparently I have lost 5 pounds! Is this weight loss legit or am i just going to gain it right back in a day or 2?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! i have seem to have come down with a nasty stomach bug. I wouldnt wish it upon anyone, but I just weighed myself and apparently I have lost 5 pounds! Is this weight loss legit or am i just going to gain it right back in a day or 2?

its water, you are likely at low sodium + dehydrated. Go eat something salty and drink some water should put it right back, you'll be okay.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Just water weight. Sorry. Hope you feel all better soon!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You're going to gain it back. It's definitely mostly water weight. However, your body has been running at a deficit and has almost certainly utilized other sources of energy to keep you alive and fighting that stomach bug. If you watch your intake as you start to feel better, you might have some kind of net loss - maybe a pound, which would be dramatic for two days.

Either way, focus on being healthy and feel better soon :)
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You emptied your bowels and are probably dehydrated. Once your feel better and start eating again you will start gaining it back. The stomach flu doesn't make you lose fat... unfortunately.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm losing due to stress. When I'm stressed I lose my apatite so this is a perfect time to drop the weight I need to drop.

Hope you feel better.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    You emptied your bowels and are probably dehydrated. Once your feel better and start eating again you will start gaining it back. The stomach flu doesn't make you lose fat... unfortunately.

I lost five real pounds on Norovirus one year. But that particular bug included a quite vigorous exercise program of dashing to the bathroom fifty times a day, then rotating both ends over the toilet at a frantic pace. It's the CrossFit of Sickness.

Diet and exercise are key. You really do need both.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I lost 2.5lbs last week...it was mostly water and stomach contents and intestinal contents... I'm back up 2lbs this week.
  • mjmccaghren
    mjmccaghren Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    well darn i was really hoping there would be some sort of plus side to this :( oh well thank yall!
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Lol! There's absolutely no plus side to having a stomach bug. Unless you're that badly in need of a day or two off work.