Just starting out running on a treadmill- tips?

Options
Hello! Thought I'd ask for a little advice. I have a treadmill that I want to really start using, but I sort of stink at running. I've never been a fan of running (thanks to my severe asthma as a kid, I never was a fan of land based sports or track), but I've decided to push myself into doing some cardio daily! Except, I don't really know how to "start", in the sense of techniques or how to set/increase my pacing. And breathing!- Naturally, I'm a swimmer in breathing, so I tend to try and 'hold' my breath when a run, so tips on how to regulate breathing would be nice too!(it sounds silly when I type it)
Any and all advice will be welcome!

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend starting out with a C25K training app. Also, remember that running on a treadmill can be very different than on the roads. I use the "hills" program, which alternates inclines, to get as close to the real thing as possible. (But 9 times out of 10 I skip the treadmill and go outside! Haha.)
  • CarlyFaye713
    Options
    I'l download the apps, thanks! Yeah, I would run outside, but the roads aren't great for running where I live. Busy with traffic and no sidewalk or shoulders to run on :/ So treadmill bound am I!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k - made a runner outta me in my mid-40's. :drinker:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'l download the apps, thanks! Yeah, I would run outside, but the roads aren't great for running where I live. Busy with traffic and no sidewalk or shoulders to run on :/ So treadmill bound am I!

Where do your local running store/clubs/groups run?
  • CarlyFaye713
    Options
    My town doesn't really have an established running club nor established track. I live in a busy little suburban town with far too many gyms for the population.
  • mythopoeic
    mythopoeic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did.

I wanted to build up to running at 5 mph for 45 minutes. I learned that when you can do that consistently 5 days in a row, it will greatly improve your metabolism. I started at 3mph and 15 minutes. Within a week I was up to 45 minutes. I then ran at that pace and length of time 5 days a week for a month. The next month I increased the speed by 0.5 mph and repeated the process. With that foundation, I found I was in much better shape for interval training and other programs..

To make the difficulty approximate real running, you need to set the incline to 1%. 0% makes it a little easier than real running.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    There are some great treadmill workouts and walkthroughs on youtube if you search for them. I try to keep a few of my favorites listed at http://mentadd.com/jog if you prefer a select list to start, but they have ones specifically geared to beginning, so I'd for sure check those out. My favorites have music that keeps you motivated and great coaching tips built in. Wealth of help for you online for free all over the place, but I'd start with YouTube just to see how it goes. Not to mention you can walk or jog on it anyways... I never all out run on mine - I have a genetic heart thing that doesn't deliver enough oxygen to my body to pull off that sort of thing, but I still like doing what I can.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    #1 tip: Don't hold onto the bar

Seriously - do Couch 2 5k. Rundouble app has it (and a whole bunch of other programs) and its free
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    As for form and breathing, I have started following the chi running techniques. I try the belly breathing which is breathing in through my nose into my belly and then back out through my nose. Breathe in for two steps and out for three steps. If I need to breathe through my mouth, it is an indication that I am starting to run too fast. Good luck to you. I also try to step 3 times per second for my cadence while trying to hold my frame up straight.
  • HaraldurB
    HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yup, like the others I recommend C25K. I've just started week 4. I'm using this plan.

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html