Zumba... how many calories do you burn?

I take fitness classes at the local gym and Zumba is kind of my "lazy" class, when I've not been exercising for awhile I attend it. I plugged in my numbers in a zumbacaloriesburned.hq website and it says I burned 498 calories... which seems too much. Although I do go hard and we have a lot of jumps, squat and lunge moves, I'm not dying at the end of it or anything. As a result I've been counting it as 300 and that seems a little too much of caution. Anyone who wears an HRM, how much do you typically burn?

Replies

• caracs
    caracs Posts: 5 Member
    For an hour zumba class I usually burn about 500 calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    When I first started it was about 500 calories. These days it's about 330-380 calories.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    I wear my Fitbit and my HRM ... sometimes they are close, other times they are over 100 calories off. My HRM does NOT seem very impressed with me. I don't know if I'm not working hard enough ... sometimes I don't feel it's up to me really, if I'm trying to follow the prescribed steps.

I track all my numbers and post them to my Facebook page ... if you want to check mine out. I go to three different classes Tues/Wed/Thurs. Last Thursday my HRM came in at a pitiful 164 for the HOUR. Admittedly, I wasn't super into it that day, but that still seems low. Very rarely I'll hit 400, but usually I'd say 240-350.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1416235018633723.1073741841.100007417148882&type=1&l=405a1022cb
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    I don't wear an HRM, but I always log less time for Zumba than I actually do. MFP burn seems way too high, and I'm working hard and drenched at the end of an hour class!

ETA: MFP calculates that I burn 648 calories for 60 minutes
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    I use the MFP estimate for an hour, which for someone my size and age is 477 calories. I am usually sweating by the end of the class, though, and I don't sweat that often.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    According to my heart rate monitor, I burn 455 in 60 minutes. I'm 5'1 and 168lbs currently.
  • 4myB
    4myB Posts: 16 Member
    I wear an HRM and burn between 650-800 for an hour class, my avg is 750. It depends on how much energy I put into it and the instructor.