Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Zumba... how many calories do you burn?

Options
I take fitness classes at the local gym and Zumba is kind of my "lazy" class, when I've not been exercising for awhile I attend it. I plugged in my numbers in a zumbacaloriesburned.hq website and it says I burned 498 calories... which seems too much. Although I do go hard and we have a lot of jumps, squat and lunge moves, I'm not dying at the end of it or anything. As a result I've been counting it as 300 and that seems a little too much of caution. Anyone who wears an HRM, how much do you typically burn?

Replies

• caracs
    caracs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For an hour zumba class I usually burn about 500 calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    When I first started it was about 500 calories. These days it's about 330-380 calories.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I wear my Fitbit and my HRM ... sometimes they are close, other times they are over 100 calories off. My HRM does NOT seem very impressed with me. I don't know if I'm not working hard enough ... sometimes I don't feel it's up to me really, if I'm trying to follow the prescribed steps.

I track all my numbers and post them to my Facebook page ... if you want to check mine out. I go to three different classes Tues/Wed/Thurs. Last Thursday my HRM came in at a pitiful 164 for the HOUR. Admittedly, I wasn't super into it that day, but that still seems low. Very rarely I'll hit 400, but usually I'd say 240-350.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1416235018633723.1073741841.100007417148882&type=1&l=405a1022cb
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I don't wear an HRM, but I always log less time for Zumba than I actually do. MFP burn seems way too high, and I'm working hard and drenched at the end of an hour class!

ETA: MFP calculates that I burn 648 calories for 60 minutes
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP estimate for an hour, which for someone my size and age is 477 calories. I am usually sweating by the end of the class, though, and I don't sweat that often.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    According to my heart rate monitor, I burn 455 in 60 minutes. I'm 5'1 and 168lbs currently.
  • 4myB
    4myB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM and burn between 650-800 for an hour class, my avg is 750. It depends on how much energy I put into it and the instructor.