Decreased carbs = constipation?!

Options
JAVAGIRLSS
JAVAGIRLSS Posts: 18 Member
Approx 2 months ago, I decreased my carbs to mainly those found in fruits/veggies (NO breads, granola, or gluten at all), and increased protein intake (yes, and healthy fats). I thought this was supposed to be a good idea, but since then I've had *horrible* constipation... any advice? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Try eating more veggies. If you are low carbing and eating mostly protein you have fewer bowel movements.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'd monitor your fibre levels - make sure you're getting enough
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Approx 2 months ago, I decreased my carbs to mainly those found in fruits/veggies (NO breads, granola, or gluten at all), and increased protein intake (yes, and healthy fats). I thought this was supposed to be a good idea, but since then I've had *horrible* constipation... any advice? What am I doing wrong?

Unless you're gluten-intolerant there is no 'need' to cut out carbs (and even then it would just be gluten-containing ones). So unless increasing your fibre intake (soluble AND insoluble fibre) works, maybe increase the carbs? Shouldn't be a problem if you stay in a deficit. Some people do very well on low-carb & ketogenic diets but it could be that you're just not one of them.
  • alicha78
    alicha78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, + I eat tons of vegetables (arounf 7+ servings a day). I think it's more to do with our body just digesting the food and utilizing every bit of it, and since none of it needs to come out, none does? Someone may correct me on this, and they may be right. but that's just what I've found.

I've been have infrequent bowel movements since eating no-carbs other than fruits and veggies. I would say eat popcorn if you can. I find that helps!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Up the fiber intake and see what happens.

Also, prepare for the low-carb criticizers. They swarm these threads like sharks swarming a bleeding seal.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've been ketogenic for almost 2 years and I do not have digestive problems unless I eat grain, legumes, or dairy. I also have more digestive upset if my insoluble fibre intake is too high. I would make sure that you are getting enough veggies (including soluble fibre) and water. Other than that, I don't know, but I DO know that you do NOT need grains in your diet, especially if digestive health is of concern. Adequate amounts of fibre can easily come from vegetables.

Play with your diet. There are some people that do less well on a high fat/low carb diet and better on a diet higher in starchy vegetables such as sweet potatoes and squashes. I am not one of those people but you may be.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    FIBER!! But go slow in increasing it. And drink plenty of fluids.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A high protein diet can often plug you up. If you're not eating grains and beans, etc then it is possible that you aren't getting enough fiber with your vegetable and fruit intake.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Unless you're gluten-intolerant there is no 'need' to cut out carbs (and even then it would just be gluten-containing ones). So unless increasing your fibre intake (soluble AND insoluble fibre) works, maybe increase the carbs? Shouldn't be a problem if you stay in a deficit. Some people do very well on low-carb & ketogenic diets but it could be that you're just not one of them.

There are actually a number of reasons to cut out gluten even if you don't have Celiac or a gluten intolerance.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting plenty of veggies. I was constipated until I got up to 4-6 servings of vegetables per day. Depending on how low your carb level is, that might be really hard. I'm at 50 g/day so 4 servings a day is easy for me, 6 is really challenging.

You don't need insoluble fiber, that's a bulking agent (i.e. it makes you MORE constipated). Soluble fiber won't fix the problem either, but it might provide some short term relieve (so will a laxative). Here's a useful blog post about fiber (see Myth #12):
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dietary-fiber-is-bad-for-sex-thats-the-only-claim-about-it-that-isnt-a-myth/#axzz30skZkfHJ

Take care of your gut bacteria. Eating vegetables will help because the fiber will ferment in your stomach and provide food for your gut bacteria. Also consider a probiotic. Here's a post that explains fibers role in gut bacteria:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fiber-gut-health/#axzz30skZkfHJ

Another thing that can cause (or worsen) constipation is dehydration. That's another common symptom when you reduce carbs. Make sure you drink plenty of water. You might also add some electrolytes. You don't have to buy sports drinks to do that. A slice of lemon and a pinch of salt in each glass of water will do it.

I've also read some stuff about supplementing potassium and magnesium, but I don't understand enough to be helpful on that topic.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Also: Make sure you're eating plenty of fat: olive oil, fish, avocados, nuts, and flax seeds. I also started taking fish oil pills to help with my constipation.

Not all fat is bad for you. The fats to avoid are trans fats and polyunsaturated fats (like soy, canola, etc.) Think of these as the man-made oils and it becomes easier to identify. When reducing carbs, it's very important to eat fat.

The hardest thing about low-carb diets is that it takes some time for your body to adjust. So hang in there.
  • Kchloee
    Kchloee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been ketogenic for almost 2 years and I do not have digestive problems unless I eat grain, legumes, or dairy. I also have more digestive upset if my insoluble fibre intake is too high. I would make sure that you are getting enough veggies (including soluble fibre) and water. Other than that, I don't know, but I DO know that you do NOT need grains in your diet, especially if digestive health is of concern. Adequate amounts of fibre can easily come from vegetables.

Play with your diet. There are some people that do less well on a high fat/low carb diet and better on a diet higher in starchy vegetables such as sweet potatoes and squashes. I am not one of those people but you may be.

Thanks for this. I have been doing LCHF for about three weeks, it seems I only "go" when I eat grains. I will incorporate sweet potatoes and try to eat more veggies.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    More protein= your body need more fiber + water.
  • MysticTigress
    MysticTigress Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The same happened to me when I first cut carbs. I am low carb, moderate protein, high fat. What I did to fix it was to drink a bit more water and increase consumption of fibrous vegetables. I also added in low GI fruit like an apple a day. Apples are an excellent source of fiber and just adding that in really got me moving more normally.

Also drinking lemon water in the mornings really does wonders too. Can't hardly wait for lemons to be in season again!
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It happens when you cut the carbs. You have to eat lots if veggies everyday to stay regular. Salad greens, broccoli, cauliflower are good choices.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    7 servings of fruits/veggies a day isn't enough, if you aren't getting fiber from other sources. I get most of my fiber from fruits and veggies and I usually go over the suggested fiber by at least 10 grams.

Avg day for me (at 96lbs) is:

100-200 g kale
    100 g celery
    100-200 g lettuce
    1 banana
    1/2-1 cup berries
    1-2 cups of cooked veggies
    1-2 servings of crudités.

1/2 cup beans
    1/4 cup whole grains cooked
    1/4 cup raw oats.
    (This is just the good stuff. There's usually a chocolate and a glass of wine in there too)

It take a lot of food to make up enough calories to keep you full from fruits and veggies. I literally eat all day. I kinda feel like I can relate to my sons guinea pigs. My digestion is very regular though.

Edited to add that artichokes are fiber beasts. I couldn't believe how much fiber they have when I logged one. Raspberries have a lot too. So does chia.
  • jfrice12
    jfrice12 Posts: 16
    Options
    im on keto, and i cant eat many carbs - even too many veggies will topple me over my daily limit.
    the absolute best thing i've found for this problem is flax seed meal. it tastes ok, i personally like the taste, and it is completely carbless - also it's full of amazing nutrients.

i like to buy Bobs Red Mill Flax Seed and grind them up in my coffee grinder - then i either make flax bread (google the recipe, its the best zero carb bread ever) or sprinkle it on my food when i'm cooking. They also make pre-ground flax seed mill (by Hodgemill) but its more expensive.

yay for poops!

*edit* i guess i forgot to mention the most important thing - flax seed is a natural food commonly used to treat irregular bowl movements or constipation. it has extremely high levels of fiber, and it pretty much makes me go "number 2" within the hour.
    I usually eat 2 tablespoons worth of seeds (grounded up, that makes a little bit more than 2 tablespoons.) PSS - it's best to grind the flax seed rather than eat it whole for fiber purposes, but if you dont have time to grind them, eating them whole should help too.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I recommend looking at the simple fixes.
    1) review your water intake. The veggies you eat are supposed to work with water to help movement.
    2) Don't forget fruit, they help get things moving.
    3) Lower salt/sodium intake
    4) Lower the amount of drinks you have that have caffene in them.
    5) If you need bread, choose whole grain. Choose lite whole grain breads.

A lot of people (including me) just do not drink enough water. You are not supposed to count coffee or tea as drinking water because they are considered diuretics. I have increase my water intake and found I no longer crave bottled ice tea drinks.
    Good Luck!
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have actually found the opposite that this thread is saying - my fiber count has been lower than usual lately (not more than 10g a day) and I've managed to have no digestive issues, very regular. It might be the fact that I've increased my fat content some, or maybe my body just got used to eating keto? Either way, fiber is not the only solution.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Coffee is the only thing that consistently works for me. Even the fiber powders don't do crap. Atrocious pun most definitely intended.