Eating 1200 calories a day...and getting massive headaches.

Options
LauraPH7
LauraPH7 Posts: 14 Member
On days where I work out, I eat a lot more as I typically burn 500-650 calories on those days and follow what MFP says (I eat most of those back). However, seeing as I haven't had time to work out the last 3 days, I've only been eating 1200 calories, but I've been getting constant headaches at night. I do overestimate my calories as I prefer to overestimate than under

I have 217 calories remaining today, but I am FULL. I cannot eat anything else, but my head is pounding. Is this from not eating enough despite the fact that I feel very full?

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    So you've ate roughly 1000 calories today and you're so full you can't eat anything else?

You're gonna think I sound like a d*ck when I say this, but you didn't get to 190lbs? eating 1000 calories a day why are you all the sudden full on a 1000 calories?

You're getting headaches because you're not eating enough..pure and simple.

I'm guessing? you need to be eating 1800-1900 a day..

Good luck.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I might actually go for some sugar if I'm getting a headache like that! Who am I kidding, I have no idea about this problem

Try to use calorie denser items to meet your goal: more oil, butter, avocado, nuts, peanut butter and other nut butters, etc. You should be able to add these to meals you already consume and easily meet your goal.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of things causing the headaches including you're not getting enough calories. Probably a good idea to start there and see if they get better. If your drinking a lot of coffee or taking diet pills full of caffeine, that will suppress your appetite and give you massive headaches. Not sure why you are so full on 1000 calories you can't eat anything. If that keeps up you'll have to eat some high calorie things to make sure you get your calories in.
  • patriciapowerswilliamson
    Options
    I mean this in the kindest way possible. There is a TON of information out there not only on MFP but also on Google if you did searches. How much are you really working out? How intense are your workouts? These matter because if you are like me where you are burning 400-600 calories per workout your calorie needs are going to change. When I take a day off, I try to stay at 1200 calories and not overeat.

Good luck and hugs
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, if you've recently cut out caffeine, that can cause massive headaches. But I wouldn't underestimate calories if I were only eating 1200 a day.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    You could also not be drinking enough water. That will cause headaches, too. I find when I get headaches, having some water and a light protein snack like a piece of cheese or a greek yogurt helps.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Have you cut off your carbs and/or sugar abruptly?
    Also ,in a previous post you mentioned your BMR to be 1650.can't say if eating below BMR is doing this to you.
    Also try to remain hydrated.
    Please, open your diary so more knowledgeable people can advice you accordingly.good luck.
    P.s. my goal is 1200 also, but my TDEE-20% comes to 1300 and BMR 1135(avg from multiple sites)
  • LauraPH7
    LauraPH7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of things causing the headaches including you're not getting enough calories. Probably a good idea to start there and see if they get better. If your drinking a lot of coffee or taking diet pills full of caffeine, that will suppress your appetite and give you massive headaches. Not sure why you are so full on 1000 calories you can't eat anything. If that keeps up you'll have to eat some high calorie things to make sure you get your calories in.

I had a cup of black coffee this morning, and two more iced coffees in the afternoon.

Also, to the first poster, I realise how silly my post sounded, but seeing as I've been eating much less than I normally do, I'm not as hungry as I would typically be and am fuller a lot quicker than usual.
  • MrJay75
    MrJay75 Posts: 1
    Options
    You might try the TDEE method and average your workout calories over the whole week so you don't have to eat so little on days you don't work out.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Hydration, caffeine, blood sugar, adequate sleep... These are worth considering, but perhaps you're just not eating enough to fuel your workouts and recovery after the workouts.

When I first started lifting "heavy," I didn't count a calorie burn for it. The morning after every lifting workout, I would wake up with a headache that - shock! - went away after breakfast. If I did any significant cardio activity during that "day after," I would almost always get an exertion headache. And - shock! - it too went away after eating, as long as I didn't let it go too long. An elliptical trainer isn't the same as a barbell, but with the resistance levels you reported in another thread, you might also be in need of some muscle recovery from that training.

About tonight... I don't know about you, Laura, but I usually can't eat much after a headache gets to a certain point... I just have to sleep it off. If this is you too, I'd suggest you try to get some extra food into your system tomorrow. And maybe eat about 300-500 calories more per day for a week or so (you'll still lose weight at that level) and if the headaches go away... then it'll be up to you to decide whether you want to lose two pounds a week with chronic headaches or you'd rather lose more like one pound a week without them.

And if it's not that, then I'd suggest checking with your doctor.
    Good luck and please keep us all posted! :flowerforyou:
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    So you've ate roughly 1000 calories today and you're so full you can't eat anything else?

You're gonna think I sound like a d*ck when I say this, but you didn't get to 190lbs? eating 1000 calories a day why are you all the sudden full on a 1000 calories?

You're getting headaches because you're not eating enough..pure and simple.

I'm guessing? you need to be eating 1800-1900 a day..

Good luck.

^ This. Though I don't know about 1800-1900/day. You'd have to see a nutritionist to know for sure, or calculate your TDEE as close as you can.
    I personally eat close to 1500/day, and I never feel hungry, and I don't get headaches. But it's different for everybody.
  • Calamitycazza
    Calamitycazza Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i suffered the exact same as you, but for a year. I was on 1200 calories a day, exercising and then not eating back my calories! it made me feel awful! I had terrible headaches, i was lethargic and very emotional, but i stuck with it because I was dropping the pounds. until about 6 months ago my weight loss stopped and I was really confused, basically long story short, I decided i wasn't eating enough, so i upped them and now I feel great and the weight has started coming off again! I now eat 1,590. you need to be more realistic with your calories, don't eat lower than you metabolic rate because it'll make you feel crap and after a while, your weight loss will slow!
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Definitely think about hydration issues.

Make sure you have your electrolytes.

A very bad headache could be hunger...it could also be stress. Or over-exerting yourself; constriction of the blood vessels to the brain causes headaches. Having someone massage your neck might help.