Serious Question

Options

Replies

• rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    If that were possible, my brother would be the skinniest man on earth... :laugh:

Along with my husband!
  • MrsJennaKwasniewski
    MrsJennaKwasniewski Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Are you wobbling when standing farting on the scales OP? This could account for the flatulation in weight?

No...no wobbling here...or sharting (thanks be to God) but it really was a serious question...can't blame me for not knowing where the weight went :-p

ETA: iPad corrected sharting to shafting...might've been funnier if I didn't change it though huh
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If that were possible, my brother would be the skinniest man on earth... :laugh:

Along with my husband!

hahahahaha
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Are you wobbling when standing farting on the scales OP? This could account for the flatulation in weight?

No...no wobbling here...or sharting (thanks be to God) but it really was a serious question...can't blame me for not knowing where the weight went :-p

ETA: iPad corrected sharting to shafting...might've been funnier if I didn't change it though huh

Wait, no shafting? That's no fun.

btdubs, most of the fat is burned as energy
  • SexiLexi1989
    SexiLexi1989 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Rotf.....This is as mature as I can get!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    can't blame me for not knowing where the weight went :-p

Who should we blame then? :-)

Your weight went the same way everyone's does, by respiration.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The new Dr Oz diet pill - makes you fart out all the fat.

Yup, it comes out like chicken fat.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    You know that weight loss pill, Alli...you should take that and then fart. I guarantee you'll lose weight and a pair of panties.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Oh, man... is this a thread for me. Of course, you can fart out weight! When I'm shopping for a new dress and it's a little too tight, I just rip out a nasty one right there in the store and tah-dah! It fits! Plus, I end up with a date for the night with the guy I ****ted my pants around while buying the dress. Men can't resist a gassy woman.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If there are skid marks after? Yes.
  • peachesx186
    peachesx186 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok so this is probably going to make people giggle cause thats what farts do but...(no punn in tended) Can you fart out weight? Like, there have been many times that I do not have a bowel movement nor do I find myself using the restroom more often than normal but, I have gas and when I step on the scale there is weight loss???

SO seriously...can you fart out weight loss?

I have a pseudo related observation -- when I'm losing weight I don't go to the bathroom as much. I'm guessing there's less bad food to get rid of OR all the food I'm eating is being digested and used as energy.

I don't think farts make you lose weight though.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I've heard that breatharians are the only ones who fart off their weight, but it's nothing to get excited about. It's all air weight anyway.
  • Sienna555
    Sienna555 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your posture shifted on the scale in a way that is so natural to you that you never noticed it. My digital scale gives me two different readings depending on how close together my feet are. Of course, the diff is never over .5 of a pound.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Ok so this is probably going to make people giggle cause thats what farts do but...(no punn in tended) Can you fart out weight? Like, there have been many times that I do not have a bowel movement nor do I find myself using the restroom more often than normal but, I have gas and when I step on the scale there is weight loss???

SO seriously...can you fart out weight loss?

I have a pseudo related observation -- when I'm losing weight I don't go to the bathroom as much. I'm guessing there's less bad food to get rid of OR all the food I'm eating is being digested and used as energy.

I don't think farts make you lose weight though.

Or you're eating less which would directly lead to less excrement...
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I googled it and came up with this:

If I fart, do I gain weight or lose weight?
    Like how a helium-filled balloon weighs less than an empty balloon, even though it has more mass.

Methane is lighter than air. Does that make it negative net weight? Though I bet the methane is pressurized. I suppose it would depend on how much your volume changes after farting.

This has been bothering me (as a physics problem. Excessive flatulence will never be a practical way to lose weight).

Best Answer:

Indeed the volume change would be the difference.

Given figures for air density at 1.205kg/m^3 and methane at .668 kg/m^3, that means you'd have to pressurize methane to 1.8atm for it to be neutrally buoyant. That seems quite a lot. I don't have figures, but my assumption is that pressures inside the colon will be much less than that.

So a scale should indicate greater weight afterward because the reduction in air displacement would more than offset the mass loss of the methane.

Measuring this is probably almost impossible because of other products in the flatus reducing the effect, and because a scale with sufficient precision is going to be thrown off by other motions and simply breathing.

EDIT: I found it difficult to locate anything about possible pressures inside the body. The most I could locate was that the lungs can be damaged by pressure differences of 1.5 psi. So a pressure of 0.8atm or over 25psi doesn't seem to be sustainable within the soft tissues of the body. I'd say that makes it unlikely that any significant volume of gas could be liberated from the body without a corresponding reduction in volume. So yes, a scale should show a (perhaps unmeasurable) weight increase.

Here is the link if you want to see more answers:
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110705151550AAvki91
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Oh, man... is this a thread for me. Of course, you can fart out weight! When I'm shopping for a new dress and it's a little too tight, I just rip out a nasty one right there in the store and tah-dah! It fits! Plus, I end up with a date for the night with the guy I ****ted my pants around while buying the dress. Men can't resist a gassy woman.

You have to be careful ripping them sometimes. Farting can cause bulkiness in women (as can lifting weights and doing other manly things) and that is not attractive to men. As we all know, being attractive to men is the only thing that is important in our tiny little lives.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Gas whether inside or outside does not weigh anything significant. So no.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Except that most of the weight you lose every day comes from you breathing. You know, expelling gas.

Farting doesn't change your weight significantly because you don't fart nearly as much as you breath, but to say that it doesn't change your weight because it is gas is dismissing the primary way in which you exchange matter into the environment.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

May of us would be! :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Except that most of the weight you lose every day comes from you breathing. You know, expelling gas.

Farting doesn't change your weight significantly because you don't fart nearly as much as you breath, but to say that it doesn't change your weight because it is gas is dismissing the primary way in which you exchange matter into the environment.

Too much science. :huh: