whole foods/ clean eating cleanse.. day 5

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Unless you have allergies to dairy or gluten, you are actually doing yourself a disservice by eliminating those things from your diet. our body produces certain enzymes on a "use it or lose it" basis. Using the example of dairy, if you cut it out your body stops producing lactase. Once you reintroduce lactose into your diet (say a scoop of your favorite ice cream, perhaps?) your body can no longer digest it.

Congratulations, you've made yourself lactose intolerant

If you ever want to eat those foods again without gastrointestinal distress, I suggest you think twice about removing them from your diet because some arbitrary (and unnecessary) 'cleanse' tells you to do so.
    Please provide sources for the above.

The sources are my degrees in Nutrition Science, Nutritionist certification and so on... but if you need more specific sources I suggest you do some research.

Eh although you might be right I have to cringe a bit at your response of just degree dropping and acting smug. Honestly not everyone has the time to do multiple years of study. If you have done so and are familiar with the literature you have the opportunity to help someone who I believe asked a legitimate question and is probably willing to hear your answer.

Thank you! I would love to hear the answer.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Unless you have allergies to dairy or gluten, you are actually doing yourself a disservice by eliminating those things from your diet. our body produces certain enzymes on a "use it or lose it" basis. Using the example of dairy, if you cut it out your body stops producing lactase. Once you reintroduce lactose into your diet (say a scoop of your favorite ice cream, perhaps?) your body can no longer digest it.

If you ever want to eat those foods again without gastrointestinal distress, I suggest you think twice about removing them from your diet because some arbitrary (and unnecessary) 'cleanse' tells you to do so.

The sources are my degrees in Nutrition Science, Nutritionist certification and so on... but if you need more specific sources I suggest you do some research.

Right. Bonjour! Because saying you have degrees just makes everything automatically true.

If you really have those degrees...good for you. But if you are going to make certain statements, provide the studies.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    OP, it's not necessary to eliminate any certain food group.

You can eat "clean" if that's what works best for you, that's your choice.
    I think people get upset because this type of diet really isn't sustainable, though I did see you say you where planning to eat fats again soon. Personally, I enjoy the foods that I like, while making sure I hit my macros.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Most of the people responding in this thread have been on this site for years, have reached their goals and know what they're talking about. Telling someone that they're doing something unnecessary/potentially dangerous is helping. Turning a blind eye to bizarre diet trends and just going "Yeah, that no fat, no carb, all water diet is totally gonna work! You can do it!" is not supportive.
    At the end of the day, the users here who warn against fad diets are the ones that I pay attention to, and whose advice I will follow. Mindless 'supporters' who tell the successful people to shut up when they're trying to share their knowledge, well, they should take their own advice.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I cut out dairy for a few months and then tested as lactose intolerant (and dairy caused all kinds of problems when it did not before I cut it out). I then slowly reintroduced dairy over a period of time (first w/ the lactase tablet and then without) and can now eat dairy without any problems. I asked the gastroenterologist who dxed my intolerance if it could have been caused by my cutting it out for months prior and she said no. *shrug*

TL;DR - I think I did just this...made myself lactose intolerant...but then reversed it.

That said, I don't have any research cites to support it nor do I have any fancy degrees in anything nutrition related with which to impress anyone...and I'm not even entirely personally convinced of my n=1 results and that there isn't some kind of skewed personal bias involved that I'm just overlooking.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I cut out dairy for a few months and then tested as lactose intolerant (and dairy caused all kinds of problems when it did not before I cut it out). I then slowly reintroduced dairy over a period of time (first w/ the lactase tablet and then without) and can now eat dairy without any problems. I asked the gastroenterologist who dxed my intolerance if it could have been caused by my cutting it out for months prior and she said no. *shrug*

TL;DR - I think I did just this...made myself lactose intolerant...but then reversed it.

That said, I don't have any research cites to support it nor do I have any fancy degrees in anything nutrition related with which to impress anyone...and I'm not even entirely personally convinced of my n=1 results and that there isn't some kind of skewed personal bias involved that I'm just overlooking.

Yeah anecdotal evidence never going to convince me, no offense. That said I'm willing to believe it is possible but I just haven't seen evidence that it is true.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Well, you are sharing your experience, not just making a blanket statement. I appreciate that (and I always appreciate you posts anyway).

I wish I'd made myself lactose intolerant because I'd love a bowl of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, but every single time I've tried to introduce lactose back into my diet, I get the horrible headaches and stomach problems.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Yeah anecdotal evidence never going to convince me, no offense. That said I'm willing to believe it is possible but I just haven't seen evidence that it is true.

No offense taken. Quite honestly, I think I'm in the same place you are with this one (even though I realize that seems like an odd thing to say given that I seem to have experienced it myself). Or perhaps this kind of transient intolerance is to be expected and is repeatable.

Just to be safe, I'm going to continue to have a bowl of ice cream every night that it fits my calories/macros just to keep my lactose tolerance up.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Well, you are sharing your experience, not just making a blanket statement. I appreciate that (and I always appreciate you posts anyway).

I wish I'd made myself lactose intolerant because I'd love a bowl of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, but every single time I've tried to introduce lactose back into my diet, I get the horrible headaches and stomach problems.

Have you tried the tablets? During my time of apparent intolerance, the difference between having some dairy with and without a tablet was the difference between no problems and quite disturbing intestinal distress. (Remember, please practice safe ice cream consumption.)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

No offense taken. Quite honestly, I think I'm in the same place you are with this one (even though I realize that seems like an odd thing to say given that I seem to have experienced it myself). Or perhaps this kind of transient intolerance is to be expected and is repeatable.

Just to be safe, I'm going to continue to have a bowl of ice cream every night that it fits my calories/macros just to keep my lactose tolerance up.

Nah man its a healthy attitude to have in my opinion. You shared your experience and you gave it with the caveat that it was a n=1 which I totally appreciate. Human subjective experience is not a very good indicator of truth even if is your own. Its reason to look into something further but not to believe it outright and tell others about how its true. There is a reason that Science doesn't go off of anecdote.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Have you tried the tablets? During my time of apparent intolerance, the difference between having some dairy with and without a tablet was the difference between no problems and quite disturbing intestinal distress. (Remember, please practice safe ice cream consumption.)
    I have thought about it but decided not to. Maybe I'll try anyway.
  • jazzdspazz
    jazzdspazz Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the 80/10/10 diet? 80 carbs from fruits 10 percent fat 10 percent protein. I think it definitely might help your marathon trainning. Fruits revitilize the body with the pwrfect source of hydration and nutrition
    I lost 70 pounds or so changing up to nore whole foods plant based diet. And 811 is my next step. To go super human. Anywho. Good luck on your journey through self discovery. One Love ♥
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    OP - this is your diet so it's your rules.

If you want to cut out/back on junk food for a while and replace it with food that has a higher nutritional value per calorie - good for you.

The only thing to keep in mind is that you hit your protein and cover your bases with the micro nutrients.

Good luck with starting the marathon training.
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options

So are you a nutritionist or a registered dietician?

The "use it or lose it" claim doesn't make sense when it comes to food sensitivities. For example, vegetarians don't become allergic to meat. If I don't eat nuts for a year, will I develop an allergy to peanuts? Shellfish?

At least in certain populations, it seems that a gene allows digestion of lactose regardless of intake. Increased intake of dairy lead to an evolution in a population to be able to digest lactose. I don't think an individual skipping milk for a few months or years even will overcome the evolutionary change.

For more, very dry reading:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182075/
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I have thought about it but decided not to. Maybe I'll try anyway.

It's certainly worth a try...because ice cream.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Have you heard of the 80/10/10 diet? 80 carbs from fruits 10 percent fat 10 percent protein. I think it definitely might help your marathon trainning. Fruits revitilize the body with the pwrfect source of hydration and nutrition
    I lost 70 pounds or so changing up to nore whole foods plant based diet. And 811 is my next step. To go super human. Anywho. Good luck on your journey through self discovery. One Love ♥

LOL...

...and LOL.

:laugh: