c25k - ok to jump right in

Options
I have had no excercise of any kind for over a year, I found C25K and this is where I want to start but am wondering if I should take a week and do strength and cardio before jumping both feet into running or does it matter? Any help you can offer would be wonderful. :smile:

Replies

• jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Either way you feel comfortable. I usually spend a day walking before I start up the c25k. It loosens up my joints some. I just started again, and am on week 3! Care to join in?
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty simple program- as long as you can walk a 1/2 hour you should be able to jump right in. just remember to stretch!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise at all before I started it. I did fine. I had to repeat some of the weeks but I love it! I'd say it would help to do some walking or cardio before but I think either way is good. I was a couch potato at 266lbs when I started. :)
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I did it a few years ago, I just jumped right in. It's really a terrific program! Pace yourself, and remember that you can always stay on a week if you don't feel like you can move ahead to the next week at that time. I was doing it with a 57 year old woman who repeated week 3 probably for almost 2 months before she was able to move on. But she sure did finish the program! :) You can do it!!
  • Lindyteach
    Lindyteach Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Down here in Australia I had no idea what you were all talking about. Then I googled c25k. Now I am excited! I'll use the programme designed for treadmill and see how I go. Wish me luck! Oh and thanks all! :)
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone for the awsome advice I look forward to jumping in, tonight is my first night to the gym in forever, I think I will just do stretching, cardio and strength tonight to reintroduce my body and then jump right into C25K tomorrow.
  • kendradl
    Options
    Good Luck and enjoy lindyteach!
  • kendradl
    Options
    Either way you feel comfortable. I usually spend a day walking before I start up the c25k. It loosens up my joints some. I just started again, and am on week 3! Care to join in?

How would I join in - I would be a few weeks behind?
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's designed for you to jump in. If the thought of even walking for a half an hour seems like it is beyond your current physical capability, then I'd suggest starting with a week or two of walking for 15-20 minutes to ease your feet, ankles, legs, knees, etc in gradually.

C25K is a wonderful way to learn to run. I've used it -- it works. :) The two most important pieces of advice I'd offer are...stick with it cuz as I said, it really does work. You just have to give your body time to adjust from being inactive. Secondly, resist the urge to do too much too soon, no matter how good you feel. That's just asking for an injury.

I'm really happy & excited for you. Good luck!

PS - I also can't stress enough the importance of wearing PROPER SHOES in GOOD condition. They'll support & cushion you from the impact much better and reduce the likelihood of injury.
  • kendradl
    Options
    Yup, it's designed for you to jump in. If the thought of even walking for a half an hour seems like it is beyond your current physical capability, then I'd suggest starting with a week or two of walking for 15-20 minutes to ease your feet, ankles, legs, knees, etc in gradually.

C25K is a wonderful way to learn to run. I've used it -- it works. :) The two most important pieces of advice I'd offer are...stick with it cuz as I said, it really does work. You just have to give your body time to adjust from being inactive. Secondly, resist the urge to do too much too soon, no matter how good you feel. That's just asking for an injury.

I'm really happy & excited for you. Good luck!

PS - I also can't stress enough the importance of wearing PROPER SHOES in GOOD condition. They'll support & cushion you from the impact much better and reduce the likelihood of injury.

Hey - Thans so much!! Paring this up with 200 situps, really looking forward to all of it. Almost can't wait for summer season :smile:
  • triciamarie
    triciamarie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I hope so cause I'm jumpin in too :) I'm starting on wednesday and plan on running fri's and sundays. ( works best with my sched). I have also started the slim in 6 program :) so good luck to you all and enjoy :)