Return...no progress

Options
Hi all!! Been a MFPer for a couple of years now, and lost 60+ pounds. Then about a year ago, I hit a plateau that lasted a couple of months, regardless of changing calories, activities, etc. So I quit "for a while..." and gained 30 pounds. So I am starting over. I never had unreasonable calorie goals (typically between 1600-1800, depending on where I was weight-wise), and so have started again at 1600.
No weight loss - after about 2 weeks. Ok, went up to 1750. Nothing. After weeks. Trying to tell myself that I need to be patient, and that results will come, but NOTHING IS HAPPENING. And yes, I am logging EVERYTHING. I do allow myself one cheat day weekly - always have. It's what gets me through the other 6.
I need suggestions. I'm a 42-year-old woman, with a goal weight of 175 who's currently at 218.
Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated...this is SO FRUSTRATING!

THANK YOU so much!!

Replies

• ziggification
    ziggification Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of things. When I plateau, I find the problem is always related to insufficient exercise.

Another route that might provide some results is varying the balance of your macronutrients, fat-carbs-protein.
  • Emporor_Augustus
    Options
    Weight loss isn't always linear, so don't lose hope! Stay the course, keep up the good work, and you'll see results. Make sure you're exercising as well, as that will speed up the process significantly! :)
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Log your cheat day and see if that is offsetting your rest 6 days hard earned deficit. Also take care of metabolic conditions like thyroid and PCOS.

Good luck,keep fighting.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hello & Welcome Back!

How tall & active are you? How did you arrive at that number of calories? Do you have any health issues that are making this more difficult?

I agree with the above poster about logging your cheat days, because I recently saw a documentary that revealed that we usually (without logging) underestimate our calories by 60%! It can take a while to figure out what your ideal intake and exercise numbers should be, but long periods with no progress can be demoralizing. Also, do you share your diary with your friends? Maybe they (or I, if you add me;) could give you some feedback.