how to get myself past this?

I've been focusing more on upping my exercise
but it doesn't seem to make a difference

Help!

Replies

• vermillionlove
    vermillionlove Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem as you recently! Then suddenly my weight was 3 lbs less one day. You just need to keep going :) your body may be holding onto water to help your muscles recover.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you now been weeks and weeks at the same wt -- added exercise--up
    my calories down my calories- not been sleeping well lately I think that might have something to do with it to--hang in there one of these days it's going take a dip and you'll feel great
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    As far as the weight loss goes: How long have you been stuck? Have you actually seen any loss? Are you measuring yourself and if so, have you lost any inches? Weight loss is not linear and it's not uncommon to go a week or two without losing - that wouldn't be cause for concern. Remember that weight fluctuates and increased water weight can mask fat loss on the scale. You can retain water for lots of reasons including hormonal fluctuations, changing your exercise programme, eating more sodium or carbs than usual, eating more food than usual (ie greater volume for the same amount of cals).

If it's been longer than a couple of weeks: how many calories are you eating? Are you accurately weighing, measuring and tracking all your food? Are you eating back exercise calories, and how are you estimating that burn?

Have you been eating at a deficit for a long time? If so, it might be worth considering a diet break for a couple of weeks: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

But here's something else to think about: Try to change your focus on a particular weight goal. You are trying to stay "motivated" to hit that goal, and seeing a lack of progress towards that linear goal is making you feel discouraged and want to give up. Focus on what you are actually achieving. You are actively improving your health, regardless of whether you've seen a drop in weight this week. This isn't a race to the goal, and then you can focus on something else. This doesn't end when you're the weight you want to be. That is only the beginning. Your profile says that you've yo-yo dieted a lot. What you really need to do is learn how to maintain a healthy weight - even as you're still losing. You need to learn to keep living a healthy lifestyle (whatever that means to you) even when the scale stops changing and you stop seeing changes in your body.

You've lost an awful lot of weight. If you stop trying now, what's going to happen? I'd say there's a reasonable chance you'll gain at least some of that back. Is that what you really want? I know you've got a way to go, and it must seem like a mountain left to climb, but maybe stop looking at the finish line (which I promise, isn't what it seems) and look at making this a true, permanent lifestyle change that continues regardless of what the scale is doing. Weight loss is not easy, and maintaining it is (for a lot of us) even harder. Sometimes you just have to keep doing what you need to do, even when it's tough and boring and you aren't seeing obvious results every week.
  • Insomniac8
    Insomniac8 Posts: 182
    Options
    This article can help : www.nowloss.com/how-to-break-out-of-a-weight-loss-plateau.htm
  • jazzdspazz
    jazzdspazz Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Moar fruits!!!! Less cooked stuff? You got this superstar ♥
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I recently had the same problem. I knew I wasn't cheating. I double checked some of the calorie counts on here with the manufacturers websites and some of them I was using were quite a bit under, so I wasn't on 1200 calories more like 1500/1600 some days. I now check everything independently and I am starting to lose again. Not saying this is what's happening with you but it was the case with me. Good luck with it.
  • kaliedoskope
    kaliedoskope Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on a plateau for like a year and my problem was consistency. What finally got me going again was tracking everything I was eating and staying within my calorie limit. It feels soooo good to see the scale moving again and I just need to keep at this. Hopefully you will find what you need to get moving again too... Good luck!