No Appetite

Options
I have been struggling for the past week and half to eat enough throughout the day. I don't have an appetite, nor do I get hungry. I do take medication, but have been out this for over a year so not sure if its playing on my appetite. When I began this medication I did nothing but eat. I don't go to bed until I at least get 1000 calories, but this is truly hard when I'm not hungry at all. I'm 52 years old so maybe age????

Replies

• mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Have you changed up your diet at all? Increase the fat? Fat keeps you feeling fuller for longer. I pretty much lose my entire appetite when I do low-carb high-fat
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Diet/lite foods? Lots of fresh produce? Perhaps its time to look at your food choices and go for things more calorie dense like nuts, oils, avocado, etc, to bulk up your calories.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's causing your lack of appetite. With your medical issues and medication, it might be worth mentioning it to your doctor. Not eating enough can certainly make a lack of appetite worse, so if you can manage to get more calories in, that might help your appetite return.

Aim for more calorie dense foods like eggs, cheese, olive oil, nuts, seeds, full fat dairy, avocados, chocolate etc. Some people find it easier to drink their calories than eat them, so protein shakes, smoothies, milk etc. Maybe look at how often you're eating too. It can be easier to eat more without feeling stuffed if you have lots of smaller meals/snacks through the day. Set an alarm every couple of hours if that helps. Try to eat more earlier on so you don't feel like you're having to stuff loads of food into you late at night.
  • TimElwis
    TimElwis Posts: 56
    Options
    I think you need to eat more calorie dense foods. Maybe more fats and protein.