5K time for 300 pounder

Options
2»

Replies

• WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Any time for a 5k is better than not doing one! :)

I have run 5k's the last two weekends, and I have another this weekend. I finished the first in 0:36, the second in 0:34 (which was much hillier than the first), and I'm shooting for 0:33 this weekend! Granted, I'm a 5'1" woman with super short legs, but I weigh around 180 currently (a bit heavier a few weeks ago- all this running is melting pounds off of me).

Keep up the great work! :)
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I can't run yet, I'm still to heavy but I walk it in 55:00.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I run 5K in 33 mins and I weigh 260 lbs (118 kg)
    Roughly speaking you should shave a minute off your 5K time for every 10 lbs you lose. Say you weigh 300 lbs and you run it in 46 mins, if you go down to 240 lbs all things being equal you should run it in 40 mins.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Roughly speaking you should shave a minute off your 5K time for every 10 lbs you lose. Say you weigh 300 lbs and you run it in 46 mins, if you go down to 240 lbs all things being equal you should run it in 40 mins.
    If I ever get to 240 lbs weight I can surely do the 5K in 33 minutes, I wish:) May be 2 mins off every 10 lbs is a good target to achieve. With 2 mins at 240 I should be able to run in 34 mins.
    The main reason is I am only running 3 Kms and walking the rest of the 2 Kms.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I was 250. So I don't fit into the 300 pounder group. But I wanted to talk about the joint pain part of this:

When I was 250 and doing treadmill every day, I found the pain could get pretty intense. So I added bicycling to my workout regimen. I bought a bike and a used stationary bike. I cut down my walk/running days to about half walk/run, half bike. What I found was, not only did the stress on my knees decrease from the cycling, but I could do hard/long cycling workouts and build up my endurance that way. Then when I ran/walked I was actually more fit than if I was only doing walk/run.

You may want to consider a stationary bike, or bike trainer, or just hit the great outdoors all the time with your bike. It's great exercise, builds spectacular amounts of endurance, can help you shed pounds by burning big calories, and can make you a better 5K racer than you think.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

That's the theory. I've gained 8 pounds and saw my 5k time come down by a minute just due to more experience.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I know its tough not to, but I really wouldn't focus on what others consider a good time. I know its tempting to see how you must compare, but at 300lbs you can get amazing times and rubbish times and it won't help you really. Best thing you can do is set your own personal target and aim for that.
  • umer76
    Options
    At my heaviest, I was 250. So I don't fit into the 300 pounder group. But I wanted to talk about the joint pain part of this:

When I was 250 and doing treadmill every day, I found the pain could get pretty intense. So I added bicycling to my workout regimen. I bought a bike and a used stationary bike. I cut down my walk/running days to about half walk/run, half bike. What I found was, not only did the stress on my knees decrease from the cycling, but I could do hard/long cycling workouts and build up my endurance that way. Then when I ran/walked I was actually more fit than if I was only doing walk/run.

You may want to consider a stationary bike, or bike trainer, or just hit the great outdoors all the time with your bike. It's great exercise, builds spectacular amounts of endurance, can help you shed pounds by burning big calories, and can make you a better 5K racer than you think.
    I have got a bike and prefer to cycle outdoors than in the gym. I agree with cycling there is no/less stress on the knees. I have done few times Spinning classes and they are good workout. I will try to bring more cycling into my routine this summer. Only thing is I dont like cycling that much running outdoors is Awesome:)
  • umer76
    Options
    Just to update on my running progress. I have finally run full 5K in 43 minutes, thats a sudden jump from 3K to 5K in two weeks. I had been doing 2K and 3K but never tried going over. This last Sunday I wanted to improve my 10K time and along the way not only I improved my 5K time but I also managed to reduce 10K time from 100 mins to 94 mins.

I have been reading great advice on various threads and website and it is helping. The anti-blisters socks have proven to be a great help, previously I would do one run and due to blisters wont run for a week but now no blisters and within one month I have managed to improve a lot. I am just having pain in my right knee though.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    look into www.kttape.com it can cure up most any pain or soreness.