i feel like a loser

Options
i just started my diet today and i am starving. i'm so sad

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It takes getting used to if you've normally eaten much more calories than you are now. Try to eat enough good protein and healthy fats - these will keep you full longer, especially the protein. Almonds are great! Try to avoid processed carbs as much as you can - these will likely NOT fill you up and are full of sugar/sodium and other stuff that you don't really need. Eat lots of veggies - they are very low calorie and provide lots of "bulk" to keep you full.
  • fushion243
    Options
    Be sure not to try and lose too much. Start small and get your body use to it. Depending on how much you need to lose, be aware of exercise that can earn you more calories for the day. Just walking at "walking the dog pace" for 30 minutes can buy you some extra calories to help get you some relief without cost. I had a trainer tell me..."Feeling hungry is good." It is something we are not use to. We like to be comfortable. But, the body was never meant to be stuffed. It was meant to be provided energy. We have trained our bodies to make us unhappy if we are hungry and motivated to stop the "pain". Instead, remember, feeling hungry means fat being burned!!!! Every hunger pain is actually the feeling of losing weight!
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree -- the almonds are a great filler (I especially like the Emerald Cocoa Almond 100 calorie packs!). And drink lots of water! I felt the same way on my first day, but it does get easier. You can do this! You're not a loser -- you're a winner for wanting to make a lifestyle change!
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The first couple weeks were rough for me but it does get better. Eating stuff that will keep you fuller longer is a big help. Salads are great for me and oatmeal too, you might find fruits and vegetables to work too. Plus drink lots of water! Good luck! You can do this!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I agree -- the almonds are a great filler (I especially like the Emerald Cocoa Almond 100 calorie packs!). And drink lots of water! I felt the same way on my first day, but it does get easier. You can do this! You're not a loser -- you're a winner for wanting to make a lifestyle change!

I used to buy those packs too - but I decided it was MUCH more cost effective to buy almonds in bulk at our local health food store and portion them myself. It only takes a few minutes to whip up a week's worth of 100 calories almond baggies. The store I go to has plain almonds as well as a few different flavored ones in bulk. Just an idea I thought I'd pass on! (The snack packs are really expensive if you look at the small amount of almonds you're actually buying vs what you pay.)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Show your diet journal.
  • encapsulate
    Options
    when I'm starving, I drink water. or tea. very carefully prepared tea. very special water. I know I try to lie to you a bit, I'm starving myself right now :)))))) . but, hey, on my Evian bottle of water is says: AS PURE AS CAN BE. :) it's really motivating, isn't it?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The water is a great idea...maybe some high fiber fruit too? Apples aren't too bad and they can be filling.

There are also some high fiber english muffins that you could try. Maybe a little bit of peanut butter on those would be a low calorie snack that would fit in your day?

Maybe a high fiber tortilla with some fat free refried beans?

Oh crap, you guys are making me hungry! :laugh:
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree that it will all get better...It's day 1 and mentally this will be the hardest week for you. It takes time to adjust but once you get through a couple of days, week and then a month you'll look back and realize it has gotten easier and you'll love the results. Your body will adjust to the calorie reduction and as long as you drink plenty and eat healthy snacks you can get through this. There are so many supporters here to cheer you on to reach your goal...Good Luck and you're not a loser in my book. Taking on this challenge to improve yourself is someone that's a winner to me!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • yaseent01
    Options
    Give it a week. When u'r stomach shrinks you'll likely to feel less Hungary than usual. It's all about training your mind and your body and have control over it. I know it might sound nonsense now but when u reach to that point u'll know. Don't give-up as now you've stepped into this life changing challenge!!!! Good luck .... & keep logged in , you'll find lots of help & motivation here!!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I thought being a loser was a good thing....doh.gif
  • yaseent01
    Options
    Make your meal rich in protein & fiber as protein takes longer to breakdown hence keep your tummy satisfied longer & fiber keeps constipation at bay. Try killing your cravings with water or low calorie drink. Sometimes it might be a thirst but your mind telling you that u r hungary.
  • jennluvsstyle
    Options
    thank u so much for the motivation. i need it so please keep it comming. i'm doing the south beach diet and as of right now i have had less than 500 calories. it almost feels like i'm starving myself, but i know i can do it and will be much happier in the end.
  • Rondat
    Rondat Posts: 3
    Options
    I was hungry last night and decided to drink a glass of water and go to bed. Evening are usually the harderst time for me. So, last night I got some extra zzzzzz and managed to stay under my goal.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    thank u so much for the motivation. i need it so please keep it comming. i'm doing the south beach diet and as of right now i have had less than 500 calories. it almost feels like i'm starving myself, but i know i can do it and will be much happier in the end.

You may be trying to eat too few calories. Any diet that restricts your calories to less than 1200/day is not something I would consider safe. You are much better off using MFP to calculate how many you should eat and sticking to that (go to the home page and then to Goals, select change goals and choose "Guided".

Your profile says your in Colorado, so it's after 4pm, so you're definitely low on calories for the day. Eat a good dinner and then try to have a bigger breakfast/lunch tomorrow to spread your calories out more!
  • yaseent01
    Options
    Accountant_boi is right!!!! At least aim for 1200 calories a day and aim to burn about 300- 400 by doing any activity. This way u'll prevent your body going starvation mode. Or else u won't be losing fat instead start burning your muscles. U need energy to burn calories, and need food to get that energy. Don't take losing weight as a chore u have to do instead take it as your new healthy lifestyle or new eating regime. You'll see pounds dropping off like that!!! You'll drop initial lbs fast if u got lots to lose.
  • jennluvsstyle
    Options
    i feel really bad. i got a couple of friend requests and i accidently declined them. if u friend requested me could u please resend it. i would love to add u and have some new friends through this