help please!!!

Options
I am a 21 year old female, I am 5.6ft tall and weigh 10stone 7lbs . I am not classed as overweight, however I am on the top end of the scale on my BMI. I have taken my BMR reading and it says I burn 1449 calories a day doing nothing. If I am looking to lose a 1lb in a day how much more does this mean I need to burn??

I know to lose a pound you must burn 3500 calories so does this mean I need to burn 2001 more calories in order to lose a 1lb a day? (I only intend on doing this kind of diet for a week as I know its not safe long term)

Also if i am only eating 1200 calories a day does this mean the remaining 800 calories i would of eaten come off of the 2001 calories more or not. I hope this post makes sence.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Aiming to lose 1 pound a day (7 pounds a week) is totally ridiculous with the little amount you need to lose you should be aiming for .5 pound a week. Put your numbers into mfp set .5 pound loss, weigh all your food and eat some of your exercise calories back and you'll lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way
  • charlotte077839
    Options
    even if i was only to lose 4lb i would be happy.. i am just aiming at 7 as my motivation is very rubbish and my target to lose all my weight by was 16th of may 2014 so i am very behind. it is just so if i slack a day or two i am still getting somewhere on the remaining days.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    See the 2 posts above...

I'm gonna add this link to what you should read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

I'm also going to say set a realistic goal. Losing all of the weight you want to do in the next 10 days is NOT realistic and you are setting yourself up for disappointment and failure. Not to mention, if it did happen (it won't) but if it did, it wouldn't be sustainable so you would gain it all back.

Do you want to lose it and keep it off? Then eat sensibly, create a small deficit. Aim for .5 lbs a week.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight in a week right? So you won't lose it in a week either. Be patient and do things the smart and safe way.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    losing 1 lb a day is simply ridiculous and pretty much impossible, it would mean exercising from the moment you wake up till you go to bed, while eating pretty much NOTHING, so it is just a ridiculous goal and would lead to huge muscle loss, sickness and most likely an eating disorder eventually, but, if you are going to crash diet then do it properly, google "lyle mcdonald's rapid fat loss diet", it's a diet of basically nothing but protein and essential fatty acids and fibrous veggies; the fastest way to lose weight while maintaining muscle mass and basic bodily functions, and even that will not get you anywhere close to a rate of 1 lb a day of true fat loss
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There's this thing called "reality". Grasp it.

You *might* be able to lose that much but guess what, as soon as you ate normally again you would gain it all right back. It's not realistic or sustainable. Since you can't turn back time and start 6 months or a year ago, all you can do is accept now this is where you are and set a reasonable goal.