Have kids and need to lose weight? Moms read this!

Options
I struggled with my weight ever since having my first child over 12 years ago. About 18 months ago something happened that made me realize I needed to do this now! My sister works for Life flight and had to transport a sick child, she told me they were unable to bring the Mom back with the child on the helicopter due to the fact that she was over 200 pounds. I just couldn't imagine what that Mom would have felt like! Your child could potentially die on the helicopter with strangers but because you are so over weight you can't be with them. This hit me especially hard since two of my children have died but I was there with them. I think the Mom was lucky because my sister decided to leave her bag and personal belongings at the hospital 4 hours away and convinced the medic to do the same because she was thinking of me... The Mom never knew any of this but I would have and if my sister didn't do what she did, or there was another nurse working that day she likely would have been told and left behind, just for me to think that, that child was so sick and they had to waste time discussing Mom's weight. This was it for me, this was my eye opener...

Replies

• AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wow... what a wake up call! I've never thought about it in that way... I'm luckily under 200 now, but still am a ways from my goal. Feel free to add me if you like. I'm a momma of two girls and am trying to get that baby belly off now. I'm here to support!
  • NetflixFitness87
    Options
    This story is shocking but I suppose I can see how crazy it is that a Mom could be told, nope, you are too heavy.

WOW! Thank you for sharing.

My first major goal is getting under 200. Never in my adult life did I ever think I would be over 200 but, yep I found myself there and now I am here to do something about it.

I am sorry to read of your personal loss.
  • pntbttrsmomma
    pntbttrsmomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    wow! What an eye-opener, thank you for posting!
  • sturgill
    sturgill Posts: 118
    Options
    Oh My I never ever gave this a thought. thank you for sharing- I hope you don't mind but I want to try to copy and post this to a very small group I belong to ( only 6 people)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. wow.

SO Sorry for your loss's. I cannot imagine.

You CAN make this change, when it means enough. Anyone can.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm not over 200 pounds, but I like to help others and we all have our struggles.
  • iangelbailey10
    iangelbailey10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting... I am a mom, and have been overweight since having my oldest almost 14 years ago. I have been over 200 pounds for about 11 years now, and one of my personal goals is to be under 200. I couldn't imagine not being with my child during something like that due to my weight.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh My I never ever gave this a thought. thank you for sharing- I hope you don't mind but I want to try to copy and post this to a very small group I belong to ( only 6 people)

Sure!
  • BankerMel1
    BankerMel1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is amazing. What a story and a real eye opener. I would never think I was TOO HEAVY to go on a helicopter with my child, but I guess I am! Thank you for sharing.
  • Shelley6591
    Options
    I wouldn't have either but it's just that the weight restrictions are so tight, my sister has to be weighted at work all the time and she has a cut off and so does the paramedic and the pilot. The Mom was lucky it was her working that day, I know she didn't even consider leaving the Mom behind but a lot of people would but she was thinking of me and the kids. By the way I am quite a ways from 200 pounds now :):happy:
  • blackizbutiful
    blackizbutiful Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    wow...just wow....
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Aww =/ wow. That is sad.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This breaks my heart because my close friend had hit 200lbs. To think I wouldn't have been able to go with her if she needed help is a horrible thought. I hope this opens a lot of people's eyes that they don't need to lose weight always just for themselves...sometimes it's for your loved ones as well.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That's really sad. That must have been a small helicopter. I'm thinking of how many times I've seen a half dozen adults on one. Maybe it's a different kind that is used for life flight? I wonder how they knew how much she weighed if she wasn't told that she couldn't ride due to being obese. What a strange event. So sad. I hope the kid's ok.
  • Shelley6591
    Options
    That's really sad. That must have been a small helicopter. I'm thinking of how many times I've seen a half dozen adults on one. Maybe it's a different kind that is used for life flight? I wonder how they knew how much she weighed if she wasn't told that she couldn't ride due to being obese. What a strange event. So sad. I hope the kid's ok.

Yes Life Flight helicopters and planes are completely different than regular ones for several reasons, they have very strict weight restrictions. My sister knew she was over 200 by looking at her. The child is fine. This situation happens daily though sadly, that was my point in posting it, some people have no idea, it was a real eye opener for me.
  • dejareedubose
    dejareedubose Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    never thought about weight from that angle so thanks for sharing im a mother of two girls and my main reason for wanting to be healthy is them
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this sorry for your loss .I have 7 children and a grandchild and they are my motivation as well good luck on your journey.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Yes Life Flight helicopters and planes are completely different than regular ones for several reasons, they have very strict weight restrictions. My sister knew she was over 200 by looking at her. The child is fine. This situation happens daily though sadly, that was my point in posting it, some people have no idea, it was a real eye opener for me.

I thought that might be the case. I have never seen one of those, honestly. My hope is that no one I know will ever have to ride in one!
  • corrine1973
    corrine1973 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow, how scary is that. I am a mom of 4 kids and my oldest has Cystic Fibrosis so it I have always been prepared for the day he might have to be hospitalized. Hadn't even thought of what would happen if he (or my other kids) would need to be transported to the hospital via helicopter. Luckily I am no longer over 200 lbs but I it will definitely keep me motivated to stay under it in the future. I can just imagine my kids freaking out and me not being able to be there. Not a good scenario for anyone involved.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    WOW
    I was over 240lbs
    they would not have been able to take me or my husband but if they said you are too fat to ride I would say fine meet you at the other hospital now GO GO GO !

I have 5 kids and Im diabetic that is what started this I was diagnosed in December so I got serious and went on a quest to fix my numbers
    so far it is working great
    I am diet controlled no need for meds and getting healthy will help put them off for as long as possible
  • jeanie2108
    jeanie2108 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Heart-breaking, for you to have said goodbye to two of your own children (I cannot imagine the pain that you have and still are experiencing) and to be told as a mother, that you are to heavy to stay with your child on a journey when they need you the most. I made a promise to myself when my eldest child (14) was born and that was to never drink too much alcohol that I would not be able to drive my child to the emergency dept if they needed it. The time waiting for an ambulance could be vital and I would never forgive myself.

Thank you so much for sharing. I am currently 234lbs and my goal weight is 133lbs, aiming to achieve this in a year. If my determination and plans pay off, at the end of 12 months, I will be debt-free, excess weight free and almost qualified in my chosen profession.

I wish you all well on your journey and would love to share it with you. Two days into this and I am aching, but, hey it feels good! :)