Secret to Your Success

Options
What do you think is the one thing that you think has really made you successful in your weight loss journey? I know the obvious answers are counting calories, eating better and working out, but for me, I think it's that I've started planning my meals. I log my breakfast, lunch and snacks the night before so I'm not just grabbing junk while I'm rushing to get ready for work. I know exactly how many calories I have for dinner, generally my biggest meal of the day. And it's also stopped a lot of my random snacking because I know that it will put me over my calories for the day.

What's your secret?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    For me it was accurate logging, consistent logging, consistent exercise, dedication and patience. When these waned, correction when I LET THEM slide a bit then I began to gain some of the weight back so I am giving this another go and hoping to be just as dedicated/successful this time and realizing I need to be patient again too-- and realistic.

This 'diet' will never end. I made that mistake the first time. I never want to be a yo-yoer.
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think totally giving up soda has helped me. Also, I took a long term sub job this year (I'm retired). I have the same breakfast, almost the same lunch everyday. This is more for convenience than dieting. But it has worked. And I drink a lot of water. Good luck.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Consistentcy is my key. Holding yourself accountable
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    This will sound terrible, but unrealistic flights of fancy got me into the healthy weight range. I told myself life wouldn't be 'fixed' just because I hit a number on the scale, but part of me really believed unicorns would fart rainbows in my general direction.

What keeps me from gaining it all back? So far it's the knowledge that I'll undo all my hard work (and fast) and the hope that better things will jump out in front of me in the near future. I'll have to be fit and healthy enough to chase those things down if that happens, won't I?
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This!! Be honest with yourself.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    My secret is dogs. I have a husky/boxer mix who always wants to go-go-go. She keeps me off my butt when I'd rather sit and graze and watch TV. When I make one good choice (walking her before work), the rest of the day falls into place.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    a friend to push me to go to the gym every day i didnt want to. i can get by on my own now, but i doubt id be where i am without him to get me into it for those first few weeks
  • Heather_Nichole15
    Heather_Nichole15 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This will sound terrible, but unrealistic flights of fancy got me into the healthy weight range. I told myself life wouldn't be 'fixed' just because I hit a number on the scale, but part of me really believed unicorns would fart rainbows in my general direction.

What keeps me from gaining it all back? So far it's the knowledge that I'll undo all my hard work (and fast) and the hope that better things will jump out in front of me in the near future. I'll have to be fit and healthy enough to chase those things down if that happens, won't I?

This is brilliant!!!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

This is brilliant!!!

:smile: Thanks! Sometimes not having both feet on the ground can help people do wonderful things. And if this helps anyone have a sense of humor about it and deal with the reality of after the goal is met, then I did something good today.
  • blackizbutiful
    blackizbutiful Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I learnt the hard way to trust the process...allowing my body to reset after weeks of over exertion I learnt to step back and be realistic about expectations and goals. This is a journey a lifetime with changes, realistic that I can incorporate into my everyday life.
  • koosorlose
    koosorlose Posts: 186
    Options
    Not depriving myself! When I want to eat bad food, I figure out a way to keep it within my calorie goal. That way, it never actually feels like a diet! It's more of a lifestyle change.

Also, Zumba!!! I freaking love Zumba.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Logging consistently and being honest about my logging. I've cut calories before but the weight loss never stuck until I committed to logging my calories. I think the biggest eye opener for me was that I didn't have to severely limit my food intake. I could still eat what I loved (in smaller portions) and lose weight. That was my ah-ha moment. Knowing I didn't have to suffer to weigh less. The rest just fell into line after that. I don't think I would have had that ah-ha moment if it weren't for MFP.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    It's really about THIS. Whenever I review with any client where they went "wrong", it was because they became inconsistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • koosorlose
    koosorlose Posts: 186
    Options
    Logging consistently and being honest about my logging. I've cut calories before but the weight loss never stuck until I committed to logging my calories. I think the biggest eye opener for me was that I didn't have to severely limit my food intake. I could still eat what I loved (in smaller portions) and lose weight. That was my ah-ha moment. Knowing I didn't have to suffer to weigh less. The rest just fell into line after that. I don't think I would have had that ah-ha moment if it weren't for MFP.

YES!!! :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Eating very low calorie meals during the day, allowing me to still have the big dinners I love.

Indulging at the weekend. Not gorging myself - probably eating around maintenance level.

Reflecting on why I became obese to begin with. I really don't believe it's ever as simple as "I love food!" (although that's certainly part of it for me)

Reflecting on why previous weight loss attempts hadn't lasted. What did I do that made it impossible for me to stick to it?

Exercise DVDs and pole dancing :)

Weighing infrequently - every 4-6 weeks. This kept me focused on changing my lifestyle, not fighting with the numbers on the scale. (Similar to why I stopped logging calories)

Being patient
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Not calling it a journey.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Developing a healthy relationship with food.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Happiness and enjoying the process.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Real honest logging with measuring everything and if I was someplace I couldnt measure it I would estimate higher than it would be.
    If I closed my diary but ate something later I made myself go back and put it in even if that changed me to being over for the day.
    Water. Water. Water.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Happiness and enjoying the process.

Yep.

Also this quote (related)...

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition"
    --Alan Aragon