vegetables substitute

Options
Hi all as any 1 can see from my diary I dont eat many vegetables. I was wondering if any one from the UK who is like me uses a substitute and if so what one and is it any gud? Thanks in advance. .

Ps I only am asking ppl from the UK as thats where I live.

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Regardless of vegetable intake - you definitely need to eat more food.

Is there any reason other than taste that you don't eat veg.? Most of us use them to extend/replace the starchy carbohydrate in our diet. If there are some vegetables that you like try different varieties of them - if you eat lettuce try other leafy veg raw. Just keep trying different things until you can find some that you can tolerate - as has been said before - you don't have to like it but you do have to eat some - I can't think of anything, other than supplements, which will replace the fibre and vitamin content of veg and supplements will not help you feel full.

I see that you are using lactulose - veg will help overcome that problem too - as will using linseed, sprinkled in yoghurt,porridge or put in milky drinks while warming them - eg hot chocolate..

To sum up, in my opinion your menus are not healthy and you need to eat more and work at finding a wider variety of veg that you can stand to eat - I was taught to try and include lots of different colours into my diet - too much brown and beige food is probably not providing a wide enough variety of nutrients.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm from UK and as I grew up I hated Veg, didn't like a single things.
    Got over it by introducing it slowly into meals, little bits at a time, eat it with other things on your plate etc.

It is hard to get out of bad habits, but at the end of the day it is the good habits which help, so worth having a mouth full of veg and screwing up your face rather than just saying no.

Compared to veg I eat alot more salad, and am now trying to eat more fruit, because although I have nothing against it, I have never been in the habit of eating it regularly.

Again, it is about adjusting and developing, rather than looking for ways around it, look for ways to incorporate it.
  • vicfzy
    vicfzy Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried many vegetables over the years and disliked all exept Carrots and potatoes. Allways willing 2 try more if I come across them. Its the taste I carnt stand. Tryed 2 cover it up with spices but not worked.
  • CourtneyLeigh83
    CourtneyLeigh83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try adding vegetables to smoothies. I always add a huge handful of baby spinach or frozen spinach to all of my smoothies regardless of what flavour I am making and you can't taste it at all. One I make for a treat is bananas, vanilla or plain yogurt, a tiny bit of peppermint extract and about 1/8-1/4 tsp cocoa along with about 2 cups of spinach and 1/2 cup avocado. My kids love it and you can't taste the spinach or avocado.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I like most vegtables, my problem is finding the motivation to prepare them.

The few I did dislike I have gotten myself to eat over the last couple of years by hiding them in things. For examply I HATE celery...but thinly sliced and cooked in a stroganoff for example I find them palatable as th flavour is no where near as strong as when its raw.

Olives I used to loathe but I wanted to like them. So I ate a tiny little nibble of olive with something else like pitta bread and houmous or pasta. I gradually increased the ratio of olive to other food and slowly I started liking the taste. I love them on salads now!

Hiding them on pizza between layers of tomato and cheese helps too lol.

Not sure what you meant by subtitutes though. Were you talking like vitamin supplements?
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I make my spaghetti sauce with a ton of veggies, just puree them.
  • jsball319
    jsball319 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea!
  • vicfzy
    Options
    Yes I take vitamin tablets. I can not stand veg I have Tryed many time 2 eat the stuff but without success. I just gag on the stuff. I have gotten a liking 2 lettuce though on a sandwich. Never liked the stuff b4.
  • jsball319
    jsball319 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im not from the UK, but my family has really started to like asparagus. I just kept serving it and my rule has always been three bites and then you can be done. After awhile 3 bites turned into 4 and then they ate the whole thing. I only introduce one new veggie at a time and it may take a while, like months, for us to start to like it. Asparagus on the grill wrapped in bacon is a great way to introduce it...I mean who doesn't like bacon? Now we eat it sautéed in a little olive oil and garlic. YUM!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You are a 42 yo man, functioning on less than 1000 cals per day?? I would not worry about the veggies as much as your lack of protein and healthy fats. And simply not sufficient calories.
    Listen, I understand some people need to eat lower to lose. I am one of them. But I am a 50 yo woman, partially disabled so not much activity, with PCOS, and I eat more than you. My protein is 3x what you are eating. This is a good way to lose a lot of muscle mass and end up regaining all that you have lost and then some.

As for veggies- My husband hates pretty much all of them, and never ate them growing up. He will eat salads now, but with cheese and bleu cheese dressing all over them. I did introduce him to Spaghetti Squash last year, and he actually liked it. Of course it was covered in spaghetti sauce and mozzarella! He also likes cole slaw. But that is about it for him. He eats bananas, and cantaloupe, and that's about it for fruit.
    But he is very healthy. He eats much more than I do, and can throw down the carbs, but he also rides his bike like a fiend. He rode 150 miles in 2 days this weekend for the MS150, and came home and mowed the grass afterwards.

He quit riding for a couple years at one point and gained 30 pounds, so he knows he must stay active if he is to stay at a healthy weight. When his weight does creep up on him, he cuts back on the carbs, and it will go back down.

So again. You don't have to eat veggies, but you do need to eat. Increase your protein to at least 70-80 grams a day. I would shoot for 100 for you. Increase your healthy fats, like avocados, whole eggs, nuts, seeds, olive oil, olives, etc. 40-50 grams per day would be good for you.
    And unless you are under 5'5", then please increase your cals to at least 1200-1300 cals. I'm sure you probably could lose on even more than that, but if you have been restricting to under 1000 for a long time, you will need to increase them slowly.

You have worked hard to lose the weight you have lost. I know you don't want to end up putting it all back on because you get burned out.
    Find some men around your age that are succeeding on here and are losing in a healthy way. Friend them and get some advice on what will work for you.
    You can do this.
  • MelissaGranville75
    MelissaGranville75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do yuns have V8 or V8 splash juice there? I'm not great about veggies either, but that used to help me get them in : )
  • vicfzy
    Options
    Every 1 on hear is advising me 2 eat more. I would love 2 but if I do I will pile on the lbs again. I just dont get it. I thank you all for the advice it really is appreciated but I ain't putting the wait bk on. I will try 2 increase it to 1000 and see what happens.

You mention nuts. What type of nuts as I thought they all were high in calories?
  • vicfzy
    Options
    Please god just let me get down to 14 or 15 stone then I will slowly increase my calories.
    And soon.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
  • vicfzy
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Will look at last 2 posts later as busy with work now.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If your food diary is accurate, I think you're setting yourself up to fail. It's going to be incredibly difficult to switch from eating so little to eating at a normal level when you want to maintain your weight. I know you want to lose the weight, and it's so tempting to just eat as little as possible so it comes off faster, but it's not going to be helpful in the long run.

As for getting more vegetables, there are loads of ways you can hide them so you're getting more, but not necessarily having to taste them. Blending them into smoothies, sauces, and soups comes to mind. If you're having occasional treats, there are cake recipes that use things like beetroot and carrots. If you like fruit, you can increase your intake of that as well.

Best of luck! :)

Edited: And as for nuts, they are high in calories, but calories aren't your enemy. They are also high in nutrients and healthy fats, which your body needs. Nuts would actually be a great place to start for increasing your calorie intake :)
  • vicfzy
    Options
    Thanks for that reply. Im going 2 look at nuts 2 increase my calories as im ok with the amout of food im having at th the moment. What nuts do any of u recommend as I like salted peanuts but too much sodium in them?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I like almonds, pecans, and cashews. A lot of people advocate eating raw nuts. I don't really like raw nuts just to snack on, but they're really good in stir fries and added to homemade granola bars. Try a few different types and see what you like best! You've also got the option of things like peanut butter and almond butter :)
  • Roundabouting
    Options
    I really suggest you start making juices and smoothies and incorporate veg into them. I used to hate kale and celery, but now I chuck more and more veg into my juice as opposed to fruit because I actually enjoy the taste. It's all a matter of getting used to the taste consistently a little at a time, and not trying a bite and saying thats gross I'm never touching that again. Look up a video on youtube called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I'm not suggesting you juice fast, but incorporating more fruit and veg into your diet is always a good thing.

Also a handful of nuts a day isn't a bad thing, they can have good amount of healthy fats if you dont go overboard.

Also, try preparing veg a little differently, sometimes it makes all the difference. My 8 yo niece hates tomatoes, but I quartered them, tossed them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and then roasted them for 15-20 min and it made them super sweet and yum, and after heaps of cajoling to get her to try just one piece, she then couldn't get enough and stole the rest off my plate, and finished the rest of them up. I do the same with courgettes but add a bit more salt and roast them a little longer until they have a bit of colour.

Also, the reason people are on you about eating so little calories is because your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories to function optimally, and thats if you did absolutely nothing and just laid in bed all day. Eating less than that actually slows down your metabolism, so if you ever were to try and eat a "standard" amount of food, you would actually put on weight much quicker because your body is in starvation mode and once you eat an excess amount of food it starts to store it as fat much quicker in preparation of your body being starved again (aka the whole caveman thing).