Outside running or treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• jwhmke
    jwhmke Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I personally hate the treadmill. I'm bored just looking at them. But sometimes it's necessary. I try to run outside as much as possible. I believe the thing that matters is energy exertion, not how you do it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I'd run outside. Muuuuuch more fun, plus it's free. You can do HIIT outside you know (e.g. sprint 100m, recover 200m).
    This!
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't know about different burns but I much prefer running outside. Other than the exercise I need it also gives me a good dose of fresh air and I find it a great way to start the day.

During the winter I did run on a treadmill and found myself a lot less motivated to do it. So, whatever works for you.
  • 4Pick
    4Pick Posts: 25
    Options
    do them both
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy. The important thing to focus on is burning calories to achieve your weight loss goals, and no matter the exercise the intensity is what determines how much calories you burn. I personally find that the elliptical helps me burn more calories.

I like the Treadmill/elliptical because I can hook up my phone and watch TV or listen to music while I workout. I like running but typically I use this time in the afternoon to watch TV and relax after work. My workout time is also my relaxing time.

I've started using the elliptical more in the last few months because I was worried about my knees and other joints and wanted to reduce the impact from the Treadmill. The Treadmill isn't bad, but maybe it couldn't hurt to mix it up with different cardio machines. If you ever want to run in a 5 or 10k I'd highly recommend mixing in some outdoors running time into your routine, even if you only do it 1 a week or twice a month. Running on a Tredmil vs running outside is totally different.

One caution I'd like offer against outside running. It takes some discipline to adjust your speed / intensity to make sure you are getting in a good workout. Running outside isn't bad, but on a tredmil you can select the speed which stays constant and most machines even have heart rate monitors attached. I suggest using a heart rate monitor when your running outside to 1. keep you honest about your intensity but so that you also don't burn yourself out by going too fast.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My treadmill is broken right now so I've been hitting the pavement and I prefer it to the treadmill now that the weather is getting warm again.

Treadmill is good for the winter days when it's stupid cold outside.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can be done without exercise...its almost all about what you eat. Calories burned are just more you get to eat.

That being said....ALWAYS chose the thing you enjoy doing more, because you aren't going to keep up with something you don't like :happy:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    How do you know you burn more on a treadmill? because the treadmill told you? Are you positive the treadmill is set correctly to display an accurate calorie burn? Unless you specifically enter in your gender, current weight, and age for your workout; treadmills automatically assume you are a 35 year old guy weighing 180 lbs and display the calorie burn accordingly. I assume your phone app also has your settings set correctly as well?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Trying to figure out what is best, I have been running for about 2 months now, at first i just ran outside then someone told me to do HIIT on the treadmill, so i decided to give it a go, it was hard work and I seemed to burn up more of a sweat with this, however I enjoy outdoor running more but I know doing the HIIT will probably give better results... Is this the case or will I still lose the same amount of weight running outside!!! Helppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HIIT has some benefits that are complementary to your moderate intensity and higher intensity sessions, there is no ONE TRUE WAY(tm)

HIIT is time efficient, but if you don't have a solid base then it's not going to make the same gains that it will do if used in conjunction with steady state moderate intensity and tempo sessions.

Notwithstanidng that the wider benefits of running outside far outweigh the purgatory that is the dreadmill. I do my highest intensity sessions on pavement, loathe running on a machine.
  • Grumbers
    Grumbers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Treadmill in the winter/bad weather just for exercise.

Running outside is for the soul! (burns a few calories too)
  • OnTheGround
    OnTheGround Posts: 78
    Options
    I doubt you'll see a significant difference in one or the other. I think the best one is the one you enjoy the most and will STICK WITH! I tend to get lazy with my running in the winter because I HATE running in the dark and cold, so I'm a treadmill girl in winter, but stick with outside running the rest of the year because I just like it more!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    According to my orthopedic surgeon, running outside will give you more of a workout because the ground isn't even, isn't flat, isn't consistent like a treadmill is. For the same reasons, treadmills are easier on your body because they absorb the shock of running on the base. I am sure there's a difference in the calorie burn between them but I don't know that it is significant enough to say one is better than the other. Do whichever makes you happy and your body can tolerate (for me, I can only do the treadmill. my spine and knees don't like running outside)
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Someone told me to put my treadmill outside and run on it huh ? ! ?
  • damcoole
    damcoole Posts: 12
    Options
    It's all preference. I prefer treadmill most of the time. I mounted a TV in front of mine, put something like YouTube or Netflix on, and just do an hour or so. Time flies for me. Every once in awhile, I'll do outside... but I really prefer treadmill.
  • Teenie71
    Teenie71 Posts: 52
    Options
    outside all the way for me. In fact I have never run on a treadmill in my life and prob never will :smile:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Do what you like--if you don't like it you will be more likely to quit.

My knees like trail running better than road/sidewalk running, and they like road running better than treadmill running.

The most important thing is to find something that you enjoy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    383756_2352324960193_1741574777_n_zps3119c3d6.jpg
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Spent the winter on treadmills, and it helped me start getting an idea of "This pace is 6.6mph....and this is 7.5mph".
    Warmer weather, and now I am running outdoors. I run the same 1 mile circuit, but switch which way I run each mile as one way is steep slope up, long slope down, and the other is long slope up, steep down. Currently about a 15 second difference in time depending on which way I go as the steep up becomes a 4mph crawl.