Help - Tweaking Net Cal

Options
I don't really know what I'm doing with the numbers yet. Today is my first day and I was literally starving. I ate:
2 eggs scrambled with butter and topped with cheese for breakfast.
A PBJ on wheat for lunch
1cp pasta and spaghetti for dinner

My fat, sugar, and especially cholesterol is over the limit on a 1,200 net. I changed it to 1,400 and that didn't make much difference. Now I'm not very active person and I normally eat one big evening meal with munchies throughout the day, which is of course changing. My stomach started talking to me and hurting, so I ate 2 oreos. Then I went back and had 2 more. I know I shouldn't, but the tummy was talking, you know.

How much should I adjust my net calorie goal at a time to find one that's comfortable for me?

As far as I'm aware, I don't eat because Im feeling good bad or bored. I eat because my tummy feels empty. What are some good foods to fill an empty belly without filling my nutrients summary with minuses?

Replies

• javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Try eating something with more protein or higher fiber. Some of my favorite "go to" snacks are string cheese and almonds (100 calorie pack). Oatmeal is another good meal that sticks with you. I love 1 oz. cheese melted on a whole wheat tortilla in the toaster oven! Hummus is good, too, for dipping raw veggies in. Good luck. Don't give up.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I believe you're good if you choose something with protein and fiber when you need to fill that void in between meals.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try eating something with more protein or higher fiber. Some of my favorite "go to" snacks are string cheese and almonds (100 calorie pack). Oatmeal is another good meal that sticks with you. I love 1 oz. cheese melted on a whole wheat tortilla in the toaster oven! Hummus is good, too, for dipping raw veggies in. Good luck. Don't give up.
    Good to know I'm not just making the protein and fiber thing up in my head. :wink:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would adjust your calorie goal, I would try to find foods that are more filling with less calories so you are able to consume "more" food during the day. Definitely find things that are high in fiber and/or protein. Apples, high fiber english muffins, a little peanut butter...those things might help.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Use MFP's guided goal-setter (HOme page-->Goals-->Change goals-->guided)

Realistically set your weight loss goal - if you think you are better off with slower loss that gives you more food to eat, then select one of the lower loss goals. I suggest trying to stick to that. If you go over, you go over - it just means you won't lose as quickly. Exercise (and log your exercise) and it will earn you more calories to eat without hurting your weight loss efforts. Let MFP do the math for you - don't try just picking numbers out of mid air!

Edited to add: if you eat good quality foods, you shouldn't feel hungry all the time. A little hunger is okay - a healthy person shouldn't always feel full. Like other said, protein, healthy fat, enough fiber and drinking enough water really help.
  • Momma5366
    Momma5366 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with Katy, adjust what your eating, not your cal goals. I know for me a whole wheat mini-bun and peanut butter fills me up for quite awhile. Or a 100 calorie pack of cheese pieces is good and filling too. Instead of the oreos, add a salad to your dinner. I have read that it helps to have a small salad before dinner (with a low-cal dressing) and then have dinner. If you're still hungry, have another small serving of salad. Figure it's worth a try! God luck and stick with it!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what I'm doing with the numbers yet. Today is my first day and I was literally starving. I ate:
    2 eggs scrambled with butter and topped with cheese for breakfast.
    A PBJ on wheat for lunch
    1cp pasta and spaghetti for dinner

My fat, sugar, and especially cholesterol is over the limit on a 1,200 net. I changed it to 1,400 and that didn't make much difference. Now I'm not very active person and I normally eat one big evening meal with munchies throughout the day, which is of course changing. My stomach started talking to me and hurting, so I ate 2 oreos. Then I went back and had 2 more. I know I shouldn't, but the tummy was talking, you know.

How much should I adjust my net calorie goal at a time to find one that's comfortable for me?

As far as I'm aware, I don't eat because Im feeling good bad or bored. I eat because my tummy feels empty. What are some good foods to fill an empty belly without filling my nutrients summary with minuses?

You need to fill your stomach so that it won't do that talking to you. Protein fills you up and stops you snacking.

Eat some sort of protein at every meal and do not have hours and hours and hours between each meal (I am not talking two or three hours, I am on about six or seven). If you have too massive a gap between each meal you will find it hard to "hang on".

Eggs are a good source of protein - both the yolk and white that is, not just the white as all the goodness is in the yolk. Chicken is very filling, make sure you remove all the skin though, that is where the fat is. Baked beans are full of fibre and protein, they are filling. If you can buy some Quorn, which is a meat substitute, it is high in protein.

All of this will enable you to quit the snacks inbetween - an oreo there, an oreo here, blast I've had two, may as well make it four - three of the things are 170 calories, a poached egg on one slice of toast would be the same amount, more nutritious and much more filling, it would have got you through to your next meal.

Do not starve yourself, but do not try to fill up on empty calories, you can do this x
  • rjmalovany
    rjmalovany Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First, yes, you can adjust your calories - by either changing your weight loss goal to a smaller amount per week or going into the "goals" tab at the top and choosing "set manually". I'm not a nutritionist, but if you've never dieted, I would set your calories to something higher for a week or two and gradually lower. Maybe 1750 for this week? if you pay attention to your body, you'll figure it out. I know that for me, my body functions just right at 1600-1700 calories a day. But even that is a challenge. I don't know how people do 1200.

Second, cut out the Oreos! (or at least limit to one as a treat). They aren't "real" food and won't fill you up at all. Choose foods that are nutritious (you know what's healthy even if you don't want to admit it!). Whole grains, lean protein, veggies (not potatoes!), fruit, dairy - all good stuff. Nuts are super filling and good fats. Peanut butter on an apple is a great snack!

and lastly, as an experiment, try making your eggs without butter. I bet you don't even notice a difference and then you can eat an entire snack later that you would have just wasted calories on the butter. it's the little things that really add up!

Good luck.
  • clover27357
    Options
    Oo great tips. Thanks everyone! I've gotten so much information and stuff to research through reading the boards. You guys are awesome <3 After one day, I can see what my food choices are lacking and I'm starting to make changes that I can live with. This is a lot of fun.