tomato sauce lover!!!!!

Options
hiya im doing quit well at the mo, but the extra cals that seem to add up with me are tomato sauce! i love the stuff! However it is full of sugar!!!! any alternatives????? I also have far too much salt! im trying to cut down but really struggling. Is soya sauce a better option?:drinker:

Replies

• rjmalovany
    rjmalovany Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Make your own! Get a big can of crushed tomatoes, add basil, garlic, salt and pepper - anything else that sound yummy.
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    ohh that actually is so simple, why didnt i think of that haha, thanx duse. yummy xx::bigsmile:
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    thanx dude thats meant to say x
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm with rj, add some crushed garlic, if you want more of a marinara, throw it in the blender before you put it on the stove :smile:
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    ya that what I do, I buy can of tomato sauce, one of diced tomatoes sometimes rotel and then a small can of tomato paste. Let it simmer a few hours with what ever seasoning you like a viola yummy pasta sauce. I think hunts even has canned tomato with no salt added goes from 400 g of sodium to like 30.

Good luck
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I make sauce all the time... here is my favortie recipe

2 cans of peeled plum tomato (tutoroso is my fav)
    1 large vadalia onion
    3 large cloves garlic
    2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Fresh Thyme
    Fresh Parsley
    Salt
    Pepper

Slice the onions into 1 inch thick moons and slice the garlic thin.

Heat up a stainless steel pot and put in the oil. Wait 15 seconds for it to heat then toss in the onions and garlic. a generous pinch of salt and a couple cranks of pepper.

Cook them until they start to become translucent and toss in about 10 peeled sprigs of thyme leaves. Let it cook 2 minutes.

Add in the juice from one can of tomatoes and stir, then crush each tomato individually into the pan (This can be messy) the second can I just use the tomatoes and no jucie.

Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer.. Let it cook for about 45 minutes until the veggies have all broken down.

When your pasta is ready turn the heat back up on the sauce and throw in a handful of chopped parsley... stir it through and add your pasta right after draining into the sauce.
  • Smile143
    Options
    Have you tried the diced canned tomatoes?Flavored with Garlic?