Recent Struggles - How to Change Your Attitude

Options

Replies

• Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hey! How is everyone doing? I taught my Aqua class today then went upstairs and lifted for an hour. I am tired now :-).

I have decided to switch my calories up and base my calorie goal on TDEE instead of just what MFP gives me. I am concerned that I am not logging my exercise calories accurately. Hopefully, this will help and it will certainly make my daily entries more streamlined. I am going to give it a couple of weeks anyway.

Have a great day everyone!

Leslie
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to keep going strong when circumstances like an injury get in the way. I believe in not beating myself up if I think I've failed for the week, and just taking things one workout at a time.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!

I understand the struggles to a degree....started on this path in April 2011 and lost 115 pounds until March 2013. I had skin removal surgery, and the recovery for that took a big toll on me. Then my father passed away in December. Last year just completely derailed me, and I gained back a lot more than I would have liked. It's been hard to find my "bad self" that was totally on track.

Liked seeing your update of 1.5 pounds gone. We'll get there!!
  • Addylouise
    Addylouise Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I didn't get anything done yesterday I was so beat from the weekend and had a lot of pain in my muscles and joints, so I took a couple of aleve and a muscle relaxer sunday night and it had me out of commission all day yesterday. I don't do this often because of having a low tolerance to pain meds and muscle relaxers. I don't like sleeping my day away but when the pain is bad I take it. I do feel so much better today and am ready to do some cardio and get back into the swing of things. The weather is beautiful today and I need to mow my lawn. Everybody have a great day.
  • livingtx
    livingtx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey Scott, I don't have thyroid issues, but I have a vitamin B12 deficiency which I get a shot every other week. My weight has been up and down for the past 10 years. I'm hoping to lose the weight for good this time.

I noticed that you live in McKinney. I'm in Plano.
  • ScottG_9905
    ScottG_9905 Posts: 46
    Options
    Good Morning Team

Sorry I was MIA yesterday but just one of those days where to much to do. I was spot on with my nutrition and I did get a lot of walking around in. I had a follow up with my doc and I will be going in for another procedure on my hip this Friday. My hip flared up big time over the past few days and has me hobbling around like I am 80.. (GRRRR Not happy) So this is a last ditch effort to deal with this injury with out full blown surgery.. So they are going to do some injections under x-ray and hopefully get this to work out. Then two weeks after that they will be doing a procedure on my spine to deaden the nerve that is going crazy..

So with this set back I am frustrated but not down in the dumps about it. It truly sucks to be where I am at right now and I so want this to be over with but it is just not in the cards right now so I have to focus on the positives in my life to help me get through what I am going through!

Nothing in life is ever easy and this struggle is going to teach me something. I am not sure what that is but when the dust settles something good will have come from all of this pain. I will not give up!

Leslie: What is this aqua class you teach? I bet you were crazy tired after water then lifting. That combo will burn some serious calories..

RaspberryKey: So true! Things happen and we have two choices to make when the do. We can be negative or positive! I choose to be positive and see what good can come out of the situation I am in at the time. No that being said I am human and I do have bad days where it will get a hold of me but it is short lived because of groups like this and my will to persevere.

cebreisch: Thanks so are you!! You lost a great deal of weight and that is such a huge accomplishment. I know that you have gained some back but still you know how to do this and all it takes is us getting back to that passion that got us to our original success. I find it a bit harder to do but I know it can be done we just got to keep pushing ourselves and reaching out to others when we are starting to slip!

Addylouise: I totally understand when the pain gets to that point! Glad that you got the rest you needed and you feel better and ready to get back into things! Keep up the great work!

livingtx: WOOT another Texan in the house! Do you know what the cause of your b12 deficiency is? What are some of the side effects that you have from this? I would assume that you have a lack of energy due to this deficiency. Looking forward to seeing how you progress on this journey and glad to have you come join the team.

Well off to join some conference calls...

NO EXCUSES TEAM! THIS WEEK IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

-Scott
  • Teeladog
    Options
    Scott - I teach four Aqua Group Fitness classes a week. On Tuesday/Thursday mornings I teach an high intensity cardio focused class. We do a fair about of HIIT in some of those classes but I mix it up and we do all sorts of cardio work. We do a lot of kick box actually and tomorrow I am doing an "oldies" class with music from the 50's through the 70's that is actually a little bit more dance based. I generally use current music in my classes but sometimes it is fun to throw in the "the Twist". On Wednesday/Friday I teach an Aqua Flex class where we focus on Range of Motion, strength training and flexibility. The cardio in that class is all low impact.

My classes are generally pretty big - 25 people or so for Aqua Flex and 45 - 50 for the Cardio class. So, I teach from the deck because if I was in the water only a few people could see what I was doing. That means for me it is like a straight up Group Fitness class. Only it is really hot and humid on the pool deck so I sweat even more than I would in a regular aerobic/kick box class. I can't wait until we move outside to the outdoor pool on June 1st - at least the air is moving out there.

I am sorry about your hip. Hopefully the shots on Friday will give you some relief. I hurt my IT band a couple of years ago while training for a half marathon. I hobbled around for 2 weeks only making my injury worse. I finally went to the doctor about it and they gave me a shot (with an enormous scary needle). It made all the difference. I hope you have a similar experience (perhaps without such a large needle).
  • livingtx
    livingtx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    livingtx: WOOT another Texan in the house! Do you know what the cause of your b12 deficiency is? What are some of the side effects that you have from this? I would assume that you have a lack of energy due to this deficiency. Looking forward to seeing how you progress on this journey and glad to have you come join the team.

Scott,
    I don't know what caused the B12 deficiency to begin with. I am diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia, meaning that my body cannot absorb B12 from food because of the lack of intrinsic factor (a protein). So, this is how it will be for the rest of my life. I experience fatigue, weakness, and painful burning/tingling in my hands/fingers when my B12 gets too low. Before I was diagnosed 4 years ago, my hands hurt so bad that I couldn't even open a door.
  • bobsmar
    bobsmar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    good group...another texan here, thyroid issues basically under control, stress eater, gets sucked into negativity and gains weight. i'm so excited that i am exercising again and tracking my food and exercise. i have about 25 lbs to lose and hopefully 15 in the next couple months so i can fit into some clothes/swimsuits for vacation. bigger goal is to keep exercising on vacation and not gain much. one day at a time though. for today eating has been good and i got my walk in even increasing distance and effort. i hurt from it having just started again and doing it just a week but i'll just take tylenol and aleve as needed. next three days are long workdays so hope only to get in about 15 mins of elliptical in the morning. ask me about that monday! need accountability and encouragement!
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    This thread just fits perfectly for me and I've been enjoying reading everyone's adventures, struggles and optimism! I've always struggled to like my body, and weight has always been an issue. More so in the post-baby years (to start with 9 years ago)! Done WW twice, both with good results, but I've yo-yo'ed slightly due to some depression (which was successfully treated), mean old plantar fasciitis (which exiled me from my gym efforts), and a long 2 year adventure through what I thought was severe IBS (but which through a LOT of education and trial and error discovered was actually Candida in my gut and some food sensitivities)!
    My latest journey (I no longer call them start-ups, but rather continuums) started last fall with WW again, to lose the last 15lbs I've been eyeballing! Started well, and then BAM, life decisions and changes, gave me the perfect excuse to stop WW, start eating again, and stop exercising! Negative self-talk "I'm stressed, I'm going through a lot, I'm not going to add weight loss to these times of change" got me to gain the weight I lost at WW again... until 3 weeks ago, I said ENOUGH! If I keep going this way, by the time my life 'gets back to normal and stable again', I will be back at my post-baby weight of 189lbs!!! NO WAY, it's not worth it!!!
    Plus what makes me think life's roller coasters are temporary... life is... plain and simple. Get disciplined to include a healthy life in the normal crazy life!!!
    So, got back to the gym (which admittedly, I am not a fan of working out but love the way I feel afterwards -- what a dichotomy) and I am eating healthy again!!
    My main goal right now is remaining accountable, not so much for the good eating and exercising choices, but accountable about being good to myself and stop with the negative self-talk!
    So, here I am, another Texas inhabitant, looking for a group to cheer on and to get support from when bad habits creep back in!!
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

I started the morning off with a coconut milk and vegan chocolate Shakeology shake this morning. Super tasty! I finished up yesterday with my nutrition solid as a rock! My wife made a grilled chicken salad with a citrus dressing dinner and it was a perfect way to end the day! Light and had enough protein to keep me satisfied!

So I go in first thing in the morning for the procedure so I wont be checking in tomorrow morning. I will more than likely be checking in later in the afternoon after I come out of the drug haze... :yawn:

Leslie: That is a nice size class! I have had some shots already that didn't really do anything but this one is under xray so they will hopefully find the sweat spot and get this taken care of..

Livingtx: That is interesting! I experience the pain and tingly issue with my hands as well. My pads swell a bit and turn red when it happens. I just chalked it up to another side effect of my thyroid disease. Not fun when it flares up for sure!

Bobsmar: I know where you are coming from. Sounds like a page from my book on the getting sucked into negativity and stress eating! You have taken the first step now we just got to keep you on the path! Glad you will be joining us!

NadiaMay: There are always those life moments that sneak in and give us an easy out on our nutrition and fitness. I cannot count the number of times that I have done this exact same thing! I got feed up a little over three years ago when my health started failing rapidly so I got off my butt and did a program called P90X and lost 35 lbs in 90 days! That was a start to a new way of thinking for me.. Keep coming back and we will help you stay the course because we all know what happens when we go at it alone!

Have a great day team!

-Scott
  • Teeladog
    Options
    Scott - Best of luck tomorrow morning. I really hope this round helps.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Scott - Good luck tomorrow buddy!
  • Addylouise
    Options
    Praying for you Scott that the Drs find the sweet spot and you come out of there better than before. Tell your wife for me that I wished I lived next door so she could make me awesome meals too, sounds like she is a good cook. There are already good things coming out of your struggles Scott, you not giving up and staying positive help me to do the same, as a matter of fact I have started to do some strength training I'm not at the level that some of you are but I am doing it and it feels good. I am even doing planks :happy: I can't find them in the database to log them so if anyone knows how to log planks please let me know.

I do appreciate everyone here and reading about your daily activities and the things that you have going on in your lives, it really does help to motivate me to do better in my daily activities. For heavens sake I'm doing planks now something I haven't done :laugh:
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Been a busy week for me. Nothing especially interesting, just trying to juggle work, plus the online class I'm taking, plus family stuff, plus workouts and PT. Skipped yesterday's swim because I was just soooo tired and I wanted just once to get home before 8pm. Problem is tired and stressed and no workout leads to binge eating for me. Today was teacher appreciation day and the parents put out this big lunch spread for us. I stayed in my room and ate my packed lunch. I need to get back on track. I've now gained back about 10lbs since I reached my goal weight.

Scott - hoping your procedure went well!

Addy - I LOVE planks!!! Yes, I'm weird. I generally log ab/core work as part of my strength training. But on those few occasions when I do it separately, I use the calisthenics home/light effort (or something to that effect).
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!

The procedure went well this morning. I am still tired from all the drugs but man is it nice not to have any pain. I know that it might just be the medicine right now but a day of relief is awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed it continues! Just wanted to do a quick check in. I am super tired and going to crash early!

Have a great weekend team!

-Scott
  • Addylouise
    Options
    Scott I'm so glad everything went well and praying you wake up pain free.

Ka97 thanks and I think I'm liking the planks I feel it in my abs more than when I do crunches. You said that you are a teacher, I have a lot of respect for teachers my sister in law is a teacher and with the cuts and the low budgets the teachers are having to buy their own supplies to properly teach the kids. They have been cutting a lot of teachers and the kids are suffering because of it. Our teachers are over worked and I don't feel they get the recognition they deserve. So I salute you and thank you for the sacrifices you make. God bless you.
  • JerseySandy
    JerseySandy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This thread caught my attention because so many of the posts seemed so familiar to me. They’re my story too. I’ve been hypothyroid since my late 20s – 36 years ago – and I am convinced it is rooted in the diet pills I took as a teenager in the 1960s, when they were wildly popular. It’s fairly well controlled, but I have to work out and diet constantly to lose a little. I measure success in tenths of a pound. I am a WW life member, but the latest changes to the program made it even tougher for me to lose. I’ve probably kept my weight gain to a reasonable amount by being devoted to a daily walk, weight training and Zumba. But the past two years have challenged me more than any time in my life. My beautiful daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer a month before her wedding and has had a really tough time with just a brief respite of a few months. As a result of her illness, we learned we are BRCA2 positive. My high risk (60-85%) for breast cancer and significantly elevated risk for ovarian cancer led me to have those surgeries, just as my daughter has, but without the chemo. I am fine now, but the last several months, including a layoff in 2013, have been tough and not conducive to taking care of myself. Combine that with age and absolutely no estrogen and, well, you get the picture. For me, the first thing to fly out the window is my diet, and I’ve gained over 10 pounds since the end of last year, which is a lot when you’re relatively short, like I am. When I went back to MyFitnessPal, I couldn’t believe my records. Those progress graphs are very telling. So, I am hopeful that this virtual community can offer the kind of support I need to stay on track. I now work at home and sit at my pc all day – another negative – but at least I can write whenever I have the urge, which I what I do for a living anyway. I find that that at the end of the day, which is the end of my calories, if I hit “complete my entry,” it’s a psychological signal to stop eating. Period. And I’ll end here too. Thank you for sharing your stories and struggles.
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Looks like I am not the only one that had a few days of MFP! The last two days have been pretty rough. All of the drugs they have been pumping through me had me just trashed so just didn't have much in me to log in or really do anything other than lay around and weight detox. But so far I am doing pretty good and I would say about 78 to 80% of the pain is gone at the moment so will keep my fingers crossed that they have pin pointed the the area and I can move forward..

I am swamped at work so I will be back later this evening to follow up with everyone!

JerseySandy: Sounds like you have been through a lot! thanks for sharing you story with us and look forward to getting to know you and helping each other through out our journey!

Lets make some noise team!!!

-Scott
  • JerseySandy
    JerseySandy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon, Scott. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts. I hope your recovery goes smoothly. It's been a tough few days, though we were able to enjoy Mother's Day with my daughter and son-in-law. She's getting some tests, which is always stressful for everyone, bu t I am hoping to work off some stress in Zumba tonight. . I have major problems with evening eating, so I try to save calories for later. CNN has a video posted of someone who lost 100 pounds using MFP. Very inspiring, btw.