Meal planning... HELP!

Options
miketau2
miketau2 Posts: 29 Member
From our calorie counter I have discovered that I don't know how to eat properly. My food has too much bread and meat. But I am not a vegetarian and have had little exposure to vegetables other than broccoli and the occasional carrot. I just don't know how to add vegetables to the plan...

Does anyone have some healthy, easy recipes that I can start giving to my family? Maybe a website?

Replies

• LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am not really one to talk..BUT

When I use to make this it was delicious:
    I would make up a stirfry! Put in carrots, radishes, onions, broccoli, herbs, shrimp. Just do that with some oil and YUM :) (and yes...radishes, some people where floored until they tried it...DELICIOUS)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eating Well website. It has tons of recipes and ideas. I make a huge pot of chili with only one pound of meat. It has tons of onions and peppers and celery and 3 different kinds of beans and tomatoes. My husband ( the carnivore) actually likes it.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eating Well website. It has tons of recipes and ideas. I make a huge pot of chili with only one pound of meat. It has tons of onions and peppers and celery and 3 different kinds of beans and tomatoes. My husband ( the carnivore) actually likes it.

oh that sounds tasty!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Cut up all veggies and keep them in containers in the fridge. You will be more likely to eat veggies if they are pre-prepped (rinsed, peeled, cut up, etc).
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like eating roasted veggies. Last night I cooked onions, mushrooms, zucchini and asparagus. Slice the veggies, put on a cookie sheet ( I use parchment paper on the cookie sheet for easy clean up), drizzle a small amount of olive oil and a bit of seasoning. Cook for 30 minutes at 350-375. I stir them a couple of times for even cooking. Very tasty and easy to make.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    simple thing to do. go to the grocery store and buy the bags that steam the veggies in the microwave. There are all types and its easy. Just start serving them with your usual meal.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm a proponent of using prepared frozen veggies in normal everyday foods. They're cheap. They're already cut. They save me time.

Mix a mirepoix (celery, onion, carrot) blend in to your tomato sauce for pastas/lasagnas. Blend/process to the consistency of your liking.

Squash goes with a variety of proteins.

Eggplant parm (baked) can be a very rustic Italian meal that's made up almost entirely of veggies.

Parsnips can be sliced thin and used as a replacement for "chips". You can also slip them into a variety of baked goods.

Sweet potatoes are a great source of nutrients - granted, not really a veggie, but a goto side for us.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/

Use pinterest: High protein dinners, low carb dinners, healthy dinners, etc........... whatever you're in the mood for.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    simple thing to do. go to the grocery store and buy the bags that steam the veggies in the microwave. There are all types and its easy. Just start serving them with your usual meal.

Yep. That keeps it easy for me. I keep a small thing of Mrs. Dash at work, just to give the veggies a little zip.
  • mrsolsonwaters3
    mrsolsonwaters3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Grilled zucchini and asparagus with sea salt, pepper and garlic with olive oil are a low budget (in season) wonder for sides. My fiance love this and he isn't a huge fan of green things. I have also struggled with finding healthy sides that don't cost a lot and are on the easy side. Look up some recipes for acorn squash and sweet potatoes as well, those are great and satisfying sides that are not just a plain potato, which adds a lot of carbs and is sort of boring to me. Mashed cauliflower has more of potato feel/taste as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Yep. That keeps it easy for me. I keep a small thing of Mrs. Dash at work, just to give the veggies a little zip.

Ditto.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I put frozen peas or frozen shelled edemame in a lot of things. Also love roasted asparagus, broccoli, carrots, and I know it's a polarizing topic, but I LOVE brussel sprouts!! With a little bit of crumbled bacon (because bacon) and cornflake crumbs.... so good.
  • BrianJ53
    BrianJ53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Re-training my tastes in food was the first big step for me. I lost 17 lbs just by changing the types of foods I ate, not even paying attention to the quantity or calories at all. I stopped eating out for lunch during the work week all the time, and started eating more whole foods whenever I had the option -- whole grain breads, brown rice instead of white, foods with simple lists of ingredients (low-processed), more fresh fruit and vegetables, etc. I paid more attention to what made me feel good and feel satisfied.

I actually prefer those kinds of foods now. They make me feel better because I get the nutrients my body needs on a regular basis. It makes it easier a ton easier to stick to a restriction of calories now.

That worked for me. I just started trying all kinds of new things, keeping it simple. Spices can make a lot of vegetables quite good without adding much if any calories. I have some simple recipes that I can make and freeze for meals at work. There are also some great pre-seasoned vegetables and beans in cans, but you have to read the labels carefully to make sure they are reasonable for calories.
  • jillipaigev
    jillipaigev Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    avoid carrots. your body produces it as sugar. at every meal u should have a carb a protein and healthy fat. try 4 oz chicken, brown rice and green veggie or maybe even peppers.
  • miketau2
    Options

I will look this up! Thank you!
  • miketau2
    Options
    Re-training my tastes in food was the first big step for me. I lost 17 lbs just by changing the types of foods I ate, not even paying attention to the quantity or calories at all. I stopped eating out for lunch during the work week all the time, and started eating more whole foods whenever I had the option -- whole grain breads, brown rice instead of white, foods with simple lists of ingredients (low-processed), more fresh fruit and vegetables, etc. I paid more attention to what made me feel good and feel satisfied.

I actually prefer those kinds of foods now. They make me feel better because I get the nutrients my body needs on a regular basis. It makes it easier a ton easier to stick to a restriction of calories now.

That worked for me. I just started trying all kinds of new things, keeping it simple. Spices can make a lot of vegetables quite good without adding much if any calories. I have some simple recipes that I can make and freeze for meals at work. There are also some great pre-seasoned vegetables and beans in cans, but you have to read the labels carefully to make sure they are reasonable for calories.

This is what I need to do. I try to be patient and think 'little by little'... by little. LOL!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Try Brocoli slaw next time instead of noodles in your spaghetti. I tried it just last night and loved it!
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Stock up on frozen microwavable steamer veggies. Its easy, and quick and leaves no excuse not to have a vegetable with whatever meal
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options

oh that sounds tasty!

Love this website and I also have a subscription to their magazine. I make my chili with low-sodium V-8 juice (along with all the other stuff.)
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Just now reading the Mayo Clinic Diet book which goes by the food pyramid philosophy and not so much counting, but fruits and veggies are at the bottom. If you have a Kindle the book is on sale right now for $3.99. Lots of good info though I don't agree 100% with all of it.