What should I do, oh wise MFP'ers? (Plateau from Hell)

Options
Hi all!
I'll get right to it ... I've lost about 20# in the last 2 years, but I've been on this wretched plateau for months now.

I've been sticking to approx 1300cal/day (eating back some of my exercise calories from running, lifting and spin class) and try to stick to my 40/30/30 macros as much as possible. I used to be a chef and use my scale every day...so I know all about nutrition and portion sizes, but I always weigh anyway. I also drink a buttload of water/decaf green tea every day.

I can't figure out what to do to break this plateau. Late last year I tried the super-low carb thing but my husband said it made me too cranky. Haha! In February I started running to break up my cycling and lifting routine. It's been doing great things for my cardiovascular health, but no weight loss from the added cardio.

Could it be as simple as eating more?

Stats:
F, 186#, 5'6"
Eating 1300ish/day
Exercising at least 5x/week (C25K, spin class, heavy lifting, hiking)

BMR 1595
TDEE 2263 (-20% = 1810)

I'm not going to lie - eating that much scares the crap out of me - since I seem to be maintaining at 1300, I'm afraid I'll just gain weight. Is it possible I've screwed up my metabolism by eating this way for so long? Even my primary care MD and Endo. don't even know what to do next. Aside from high cortisol, I'm perfectly healthy.

My diary is open. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have or stories of how you broke your plateau. Thanks!

Replies

• happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm so impatient. I hit a plateau only a month into it and tried eating over my comfort zone...IT WORKED. Try it for one week.
  • TNSLB
    TNSLB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You're eating below your BMR. I would do the TDEE-20% for a month and see what happens. Don't freak out if you have an initial gain though!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you have any medical conditions?
  • bullygirl979
    bullygirl979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you tried shaking up your exercise routine? You should vary it every 6 weeks or so.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Do you have any medical conditions?

Nope. Just the high cortisol, which my Endo is not all that worried about. Thyroid is fine, Glucose is fine, no food allergies at all.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have almost the same stats as you (5'4 185lbs) and I eat 1860 calories per day, it looks to me like you aren't even hitting 1300 calories most days and you exercise at least 5 days a week...try bumping up your calories a little, at least tp your BMR for a few weeks and see what happens
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have almost the same stats as you (5'4 185lbs) and I eat 1860 calories per day, it looks to me like you aren't even hitting 1300 calories most days and you exercise at least 5 days a week...try bumping up your calories a little, at least tp your BMR for a few weeks and see what happens

I agree with above. After plateauing for several months, 1 month change is worth a try.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Seems like you've passed the benchmark for every "why am I not losing" thread, so I'm not sure what could be happening. If you truly are not losing at 1300 you definitely wont lose by increasing your calories. You mentioned high cortisol which may be causing water retention but its unlikely that would last for months. This is the only circumstance which I could think where eating more would help because it would de-stress your body and aid in releasing water retention.
  • Bella0531
    Options
    Have you tried shaking up your exercise routine? You should vary it every 6 weeks or so.

Probably not as much as I should, but a bit.

I went from spinning 3x/week and lifting once, to spinning twice and lifting twice. Then, I added running a few months ago (started with C25K). So, now I do 2x/week running, 2x/week lifting (the 'big 3' and others), and only one spin class on Friday nights.

I get outside and hike whenever possible, too.

I've tried yoga a few times, but can't really get into it.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Try this... it worked for me when I hit a Plateau for a few months..

If your calories are 1500 a day break it out something like this.
    1500 x 7 = 10500 Calories a week

Mon = 1500
    Tues- 1800
    Wed - 1700
    Thurs - 1200
    Fri -1400
    Sat- 1600
    Sun - 1300

if you change is up over a couple weeks that should help.. You are still consuming the same # of calories in the week but your body won't know when your high or low and it will shake up your system.. Worked for me

Good Luck
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Pretty much Eat more & shake things up as already said
    Try eating between 1300 and your TDEE-20% (if you don't want to eat the full TDEE-20%) and you'll probably be glad you did it's how I break my plateaus, or try mixing up how much you eat each day whilst eating the same calories/week and mix up your workout a bit
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary from today, and I know that you said you use a food scale but I see a lot of entries that say "1 container". The pork chop "4 oz". Was it exactly 4 oz?

If you're not losing weight, you're not in a deficit. This could be because you're eating too many of your exercise calories back (MFP greatly overestimates), logging inaccuracies (do you log EVERYTHING? I mean EVERYthing? Those bites, licks, and nibbles?), or miscalculating your deficit.

Also, how long since you've lost any weight? What exactly has your weight done in the last 4 weeks?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Being that active and that height I really doubt you maintain at 1300 calories a day, that is very low. I think you should eat more for your health. You very well might gain weight eating more at first but thats only because you have been hugely caloric ally restricting yourself. Then again you might not gain any weight at all, you might find that you just have more energy and have an easier time with your workouts.

Months is not really proof of maintenance, could be just that your body is retaining water. Regardless though I think you have correctly identified a problem with your diet which is like so many people here you are undereating.
  • Bella0531
    Options
    I looked at your diary from today, and I know that you said you use a food scale but I see a lot of entries that say "1 container". The pork chop "4 oz". Was it exactly 4 oz?

If you're not losing weight, you're not in a deficit. This could be because you're eating too many of your exercise calories back (MFP greatly overestimates), logging inaccuracies (do you log EVERYTHING? I mean EVERYthing? Those bites, licks, and nibbles?), or miscalculating your deficit.

Also, how long since you've lost any weight? What exactly has your weight done in the last 4 weeks?

All excellent points.

Yes, it was exactly 4oz. I always weigh everything, especially meat, to make sure it is accurate.

The yogurt was in a single serve container. I take it out, weigh it in a bowl, and as long as it is within a few grams of the stated weight I'll just log it as one container.

Yes, I log everything. I don't like most condiments and dressings, so you won't find many of those in my diary and I cook with very little butter/oil if any.

In the last 4 weeks, I haven't lost anything at all. But, I haven't gained either.
  • Bella0531
    Options
    Pretty much Eat more & shake things up as already said

I think I'll do just that! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd get an appointment to see a nutritionist and have your BMR tested, personally. Or eat at maintenance for a couple month then at a 20% deficit to see if it helps.
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am about the same in stats as you. 5'6, 188lbs and a BMR of 1599. I try to eat around 1600 a day and I only walk for my exercise, I was in a plateau before because I was snacking well over my 1600, but once i got myself back down I started losing again. I think with your activity level you should be eating more. You may want to try eating at maintenacne for a month and then eating closer to your BMR
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would probably try to eat at maintenance for a week or two and then come off with a lower deficit and possibly reduce carbs a bit and increase protein. If you still maintain, I would consider either metabolic testing or doing an elimination diet to see if there are any sensitivities.

In all honesty, with how active you are, I doubt 1300 calories is enough for your body.