Shakes? Are They Worth it?

Options
Hello everyone who reads this. :p

I am currently on day 8 on MFP (although it is not my first time on MFP) and I was wondering about shakes as a meal replacement. I am trying to lose weight about 65 lbs.

I have heard people talk about shakeology and EAS and many others, but are they really worth investing in, will they help me lose weight along with my "diet" (healthy eatting) and excersise?

I am hoping someone could give me some advice on a shake (if they are worth it) that I should purchase.

If it is a waste of money and all that I would LOVE to know that too. Cost is a big thing as I am on a budget but for the right goal I would be willing to push that budget just a little bit.

Advice Please?!

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Shakes can help in creating a calorie deficit, which is what you need in order to lose weight. However, they can be quite expensive.

You can weigh and measure your food and create that same deficit for much cheaper!

Since you're new, I give you this. It's full of a lot of helpful info. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I bought some protein powder for smoothies (with just plain liquid it would be shakes). But that is mainly because I hate breakfast and usually have very little time in the morning (I am not a morning person) and my son (the one who joined the gym with me) likes to use them for recovery from his workouts. I do not purchase the prepared shakes as they are expensive and I like to add my own ingredients to my smoothies.
  • RoseZ12
    RoseZ12 Posts: 18
    Options

You can make shakes yourself, if you so choose, using protein powder and other ingredients you'd find in any store. Much cheaper option and you control what goes in them.

What are some Protein powders you would recomend?
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yup what they said! I actually do have a shake most days for breakfast because it is quick, easy, yummy and I can take it to go after my workout. That being said - I make my shakes with "real people food", some fruit, nuts, non fat greek yogurt, almond milk and protein powder and there you go. The options for flavors are limitless, the shakes are as cheap as you want them to be and I get a good 300-400 calories in that aren't all chemicals and fillers. :) If you do it, don't buy into the scams, just calculate it as part of your daily calories and focus on calories in, calories out.

I use syntha-6 whey protein powder. Vanilla icecream is a great flavor for adding things too - but their chocolate milkshake, strawberry milkshake and mochaccino are all awesome too.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eat real food like I hope you intend to for the rest of your life. One of the benefits of food logging and calorie counting is the self-educational aspect of portion control and making wise choices. You won't get that by drinking meal replacements.

Don't waste money and effort doing something you will have to "unlearn" at some point in the future.
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ^^This^^ when I feel I want a shake I buy the fruit and veggies and make it myself it is nice to know what is inside it .
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

You can make shakes yourself, if you so choose, using protein powder and other ingredients you'd find in any store. Much cheaper option and you control what goes in them.

i dont have money to toss around at supplements, so i opt for body fortress. decent taste, good amount of protein, and a great price-point. amazon has it if its unavailable to you at brick-and-mortar stores.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My advice is always, "Don't Drink Your Calories." Shakes can be easy for consuming in the car but your brain and body want you to chew your food to prove you are eating and help you feel full. If you really want a smoothie, eat it with a spoon while wearing arm weights.
    Ruth J Princess
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't use them as a meal replacement, but sometimes I have trouble getting my protein when I exercise so I use the Garden of Life brand as a supplement. I always try to hit my macros with actual food and if I workout and need it, I will drink the shake.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone who reads this. :p

I am currently on day 8 on MFP (although it is not my first time on MFP) and I was wondering about shakes as a meal replacement. I am trying to lose weight about 65 lbs.

I have heard people talk about shakeology and EAS and many others, but are they really worth investing in, will they help me lose weight along with my "diet" (healthy eatting) and excersise?

I am hoping someone could give me some advice on a shake (if they are worth it) that I should purchase.

If it is a waste of money and all that I would LOVE to know that too. Cost is a big thing as I am on a budget but for the right goal I would be willing to push that budget just a little bit.

Advice Please?!

Happy to help you. They are a waste of money.

The magic shake salesmen (they call themselves coaches, haven't coached a day in their lives) will tell you all sorts of rubbish, how their shakes have the very best in magic ingredients and your skin will clear up and you'll feel like a majestic unicorn and you'll never get cancer.

They're just trying to sell you overpriced shakes.

So stick to eating real food and shakes you make yourself, if you decide to use shakes at all. They aren't necessary for weight loss.

Good luck to you.

Pretty much this.

I use protein shakes, but just a basic whey isolate. From there you can add flaxseed meal, fruits, cinnamon, etc for pretty darn cheap.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I agree with BrettPGH.

To further clarify, if the shake you are referring to is a marketed powder that is supposed to be hyper nutritious give you amazing powers, then yes, it is a waste of money.

That being said, nothing wrong with making a shake with your own ingredients.

The Body Fortress brand whey powder has the cheapest cost per gram protein that I have seen. I'd suggest you get a tub of that (2lbs for about $16) and mix your own.

Add in some leafy greens, fruit, juice, milk, nuts, avocados, etc. to make a shake that has the protein / fat / carb profile you need.

You can google and find tons of recipies and you don't need to spend $60 per lb on your shake mix.

Good luck!
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    The latest that we bought was Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. We got the vanilla as I thought the flavor was more versatile with combining with fruit and liqiuds (I freeze the fruit/peanut butter and other things, and add ice also, with almond or coconut milk, gives it a nice milkshake consistency and I eat it with a spoon). I spoke with the nutritionist about it since I really do not have time to make breakfast during the week and she said to look for one that had whey isolate as the main ingredient. Those are a little more expensive but she seemed to think it was worth it.
  • wheird
    Options
    My advice is always, "Don't Drink Your Calories." Shakes can be easy for consuming in the car but your brain and body want you to chew your food to prove you are eating and help you feel full. If you really want a smoothie, eat it with a spoon while wearing arm weights.
    Ruth J Princess

I do agree with the advice to avoid drinking your calories if it is convenient. My first source of protein and micronutrients is always food. If it is inconvenient to get it from food, then throw in a shake and a multi.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are worth it.

That is all.
  • PrincessStupidhead
    PrincessStupidhead Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a budget. I just use whey isolate (high protein powder, you can purchase on Amazon, or almost anywhere) and make my own shakes.

My "basic" shake is a scoop of powder, a cup of ice and a half cup of liquid (water, cream, use whatever fits into the way of eating you've chosen) I then build on that. I use MFP to keep track of the nutrients and calories and I can build them into whatever I want them to be. Fruits, veggies, liquid flavorings, whatever you choose.

They work great for me in the mornings for a breakfast replacement when I'm on the run.

I do have a blender that has a single serving attachment, so that's really helpful.

Inexpensive, delicious and healthy! They keep me full and on track.
  • wheird
    Options

I'm probably not the best guy to ask, I buy Muscle Milk 50. Really just because it's the only brand my grocery store carries and I don't care enough to go to specialty stores to find something else. But you really only need it if you're tying to up your protein consumption (which is common).

If you're just looking to cut calories, I wouldn't recommend shakes at all. Because you'll be hungry, as an above poster said. Try to get your calories from healthy food, as much as is possible.

Mostly I just don't want you buying anything from an MLM salesperson. They'll drain your wallet and promise you the world.

I buy Body Fortess Whey Isolate. Again, because it is what my grocery stores carry.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Ruth J Princess

While this may be true for you, my body doesn't care how it gets full...as long as it's full. A decent protein shake works for me when I drink them. A protein shake in the morning will last me well into lunchtime. My body doesn't need anything to prove it is eating.

I will agree that drinking a calorie laden milkshake from Sonic, or a 12 pack of Mtn. Dew isn't the best way to use your daily calorie allowance, but a protein shake isn't exactly on the same level calorically or nutritionally.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I honestly could never meal replace with shakes, but that's just me ;)

I do use protein shakes as a recovery and snack most days. I also have a hard time meeting my protein macro without it.

I use Nature's Bounty chocolate protein powder. It's got a lot of extra added vitamins, fiber, and probiotics. It's a low calorie shake mixed with almond milk and is pretty darn tasty.