Shakes? Are They Worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• PrincessStupidhead
    PrincessStupidhead Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also use Body Fortress Whey Isolate. More bang for the buck -The chocolate is good, but I like the vanilla creme because it's so versatile as a base.

I buy mine on Amazon because I live in the middle of nowhere.

By the way, I was a total snacker, but the shakes keep me full until lunch.
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do drink a meal replacement shake from a vitamin shop. It costs $38 however it has 30 servings which equates to $1.27 for lunch. Also, it is very convenient for me because I don't have time to either make lunch everyday or sit down and eat a lunch everyday. I began drinking it for convenience but found the weight loss to be a good addition to the convenience factor.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone who reads this. :p

I am currently on day 8 on MFP (although it is not my first time on MFP) and I was wondering about shakes as a meal replacement. I am trying to lose weight about 65 lbs.

I have heard people talk about shakeology and EAS and many others, but are they really worth investing in, will they help me lose weight along with my "diet" (healthy eatting) and excersise?

I am hoping someone could give me some advice on a shake (if they are worth it) that I should purchase.

If it is a waste of money and all that I would LOVE to know that too. Cost is a big thing as I am on a budget but for the right goal I would be willing to push that budget just a little bit.

Advice Please?!

Happy to help you. They are a waste of money.

You can make shakes yourself, if you so choose, using protein powder and other ingredients you'd find in any store. Much cheaper option and you control what goes in them.

The magic shake salesmen (they call themselves coaches, haven't coached a day in their lives) will tell you all sorts of rubbish, how their shakes have the very best in magic ingredients and your skin will clear up and you'll feel like a majestic unicorn and you'll never get cancer.

They're just trying to sell you overpriced shakes.

So stick to eating real food and shakes you make yourself, if you decide to use shakes at all. They aren't necessary for weight loss.

Good luck to you.

This ^^^
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have never, ever had a protein shake, meal replacement shake, a grab a shake as I run out the door for breakfast shake. Nothing. Ever.

I think they are a gimmick.

I would rather eat food!
  • RoseZ12
    RoseZ12 Posts: 18
    Options
    Also would it be bad to make the shake the night before and put it in the fridge or freezer? Some mornings I only have enough time to dress and go! IF i did chose to go in the route of a protein shake.
  • crashster
    crashster Posts: 11
    Options
    Personally I prefer to make my own smoothies, and I use them as breakfast some days or to recover from a hard workout. They're also great for adding healthy nutrients to your body that are tricky to get otherwise.

I use Met-Rx Vanilla powder for the protein. It's 23g per scoop I believe, and only 100 calories. I then use unsweetened almond milk and add my favorite fruits. A banana is great to add for texture. I then put in a little agave nectar to sweeten it up, and add things like cinnamon, kale, or flax. Blend it all up and it's delicious and nutritious, not to mention much easier on the wallet.
  • RoseZ12
    Options
    Also would it be bad to make the shake the night before and put it in the fridge or freezer? Some mornings I only have enough time to dress and go!

Honestly? You're probably going to have to experiment a little bit to find out what you like and what works for you. A shake can be as simple as powder + water and go, or you can add half the produce section and other powdered supplements with almond milk etc. etc. That's kind of the nice thing. Making it yourself means you can customize it to your tastes and nutritional needs.

Well I think this could be a lot of fun. I think that I could have a little fun with mixing different ingredients.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I've replaced meals with Sonic Blasts... does that count?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Know what else works well? Put down $99 on a NutriBullet. Throw some protein powder, berries, bananas, whatever in there, whir it up, and boom...you have a shake ready to go, all you need to do it put the lid on!
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think you will get alot of "you are wasting your money" responces here... which I don't really think is true... because you are buynig food with your money, which you were going to do anyway...it's just a different type of food!

Well, sadly, there's no shake that makes you lose weight :-(. I keep trying to find them...but alas... a calories a calorie.

I like shakes - I drink them alot on weekends because they are fast and easy and filling. I think they are a great option for something on the go - especially on those really hot summer days if you are working outside and just don't feel like eating much. Really you can make your own - but I also get protein powder.... one of my favorite morning drinks is chocolate ptoein powder, some whole coffee beans, ice, water, and a half cup of Vanilla almost milk in the Butribullet - SO GOOD. I also make alot with spinach, kale, and fruit . I vote yes!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have the nutri bullet and i do like it for smoothies but mine are always more calories then I feel like in the am.

I have been using a shake from Vitamin World that I really like for breakfast and sometimes an afternoon snake at work. It's called "Fit N Full" meal replacement. It's like 140 calories and its protein based. I wasn't getting enough protein which was why I bought it at first but I find it's filling and I like it for breakfast with a piece of fruit as well.

I have also found that since I'm putting something in my body in the am, within an hour of getting up, that my weight loss has picked up again as well.

I think it's a matter of preference, time and your goals. I have friends who swear by shakes, others who swear by juicing, others who swear by whole, organic, vegan foods. It's simply a matter of what works for you and you alone.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I make whole juice and smoothies in my Blendtec. This way I can control which nutrients and how many calories I'm getting. The blender is worth the cost since you will save money on shakes and have it for many years. I also get alot of use out of mine during margurita/daiquiri season, and by making stuff like hummas, salsa, and falafels.
  • RoseZ12
    Options
    Know what else works well? Put down $99 on a NutriBullet. Throw some protein powder, berries, bananas, whatever in there, whir it up, and boom...you have a shake ready to go, all you need to do it put the lid on!

I was just looking into this online as I sit here at work.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love love love my ON Gold Standard. I'm a powder+water = on the go delight, kind of girl, but it also mixes well with fruit, etc if you want to go that route.

I usually mix up a little protein to go with my breakfast and then I have another after the gym in the evening (1 scoop each time). While proteins can be a little on the pricey side, I've found that if you keep an eye out for sales, you can do OK and I believe in if paying a little more means you'll actually use the stuff - do it.

If you're looking to purchase something you can mix, but also drink on it's own, try a few different brands/flavors. It took me a while to find out what I really like. Most companies you can buy small serving pouches. Again, not very economical... but more economical than if you buy a 5lb tub you hate... (which I have done, and it's still sitting in my cupboard)

Good luck and have fun with it!!
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I echo the comments on getting a nice blender. It makes a world of difference, especially if you add frozen items (ice/fruit). It really takes no time in the morning to throw stuff in, mix and go.