Having Trouble Actually Starting

Options
So yesterday, I signed up with MFP and made a profile. I haven't done much else except talk to people after that. I haven't measured myself. I'm not counting calories or logging my food or walks. I'm just WRITING about doing all this stuff but not actually doing it!

Part of me wonders if it's because I'm in a holding pattern with the weight loss plan our local hospital has. I called them yesterday and they gave me an appointment for July 2. I tell myself that I want to do stuff before that date, but I keep putting it off.

Anyone else have trouble taking the first real step? How did you get off your behind and actually work the program?

Replies

• Teenie71
    Teenie71 Posts: 52
    Options
    No. you just need to stop with the excuses and just do it.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Well you might as well record your calories. Having a complete food diary to bring with you in July wouldn't be a bad thing even if all you do is track.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    When you want it bad enough, you'll start.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely normal. Psychological studies say that your have to get ready to get ready. One thing you can do for yourself right now is set a baseline. Use the bar code scanner function in MFP and record what you are eating. Don't worry about counting calories, just record them.

I specialize in motivating the unmotivated. Please feel free to friend me.
    Ruth J Princess
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This!
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Well you might as well record your calories. Having a complete food diary to bring with you in July wouldn't be a bad thing even if all you do is track.
    this. plus it's good to develop the habit of being aware of what you eat.

If you wait until July to start, you will wish you had started today.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, at least start recording your intake. You can worry about limiting when you're ready, but spend a few days recording, getting a feel for it and getting a feel for how much you normally eat in a day. That'll give you a good place to start and give you a solid overall picture of what's going on. I know it's rough getting started, but after a while it's just natural as hell. Give it two weeks, it'll all be habit.
  • midnite81
    midnite81 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I agree with this. When you want to do something about your weight, you'll start doing something about it. This may come across has harsh but only you can do something about your weight. You only achieve when you don't make excuses. It's a lesson we've all had to learn.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Start adding in to your diary everything you have ate today. Then you will have started. Since you are new I will tell you what I did when I started. I actually ate normal for a few days, logged everything and got an idea of how much I was eating before I started cutting calories. That way I had some practice with logging everything and became more aware of what I was eating. Good luck, you can do this :)
  • lynnmhatcher
    lynnmhatcher Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tracking is important, I found i wasn't eating enough! Do it just fo get an idea of where your at. Log all you eat and break down of some foods will surprise you. It is work but gets easier. i use quick tools on breakfast because it is mostly the same each day. One step at a time!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Probably a troll but i'll bite.

You can start today or you can wait until you have a heart attack then decide it's worth it. Good luck with your decision, i'm sure whatever you choose will be right for you and your life.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Too often we look at things and they look really BIG and scary but if you break it down it really isn't that bad. I started by coming on here and just logging my food. I didn't change anything, I just logged it in. I started measuring to make sure I logged the right amount. I realized the portions I was eating were huge and then started to cut back a little. Take small steps and before you know it you have a much healthier and happier you. Also "There is NO finish line." Never stop improving yourself.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need a picture too.

I don't take anyone seriously if they haven't even committed to a picture here.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

^This is a really good idea. Having a diary will be really helpful. They can point out places for improvement.

Perhaps you can try for 1 good habit. If you don't exercise, look for an activity to increase. A pedometer will help you record your steps. Then increase a few hundred steps each day.
  • pkteen
    pkteen Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Start now! Feel free to add me on here if you want to check what I'm eating and exercising etc. it's easier than you think. The beginning is tough, then you get used to it. The changes in your body will keep on motivating you.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Why put off for two months what you can do today?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I think there are more procrastinators on here than would care to admit, otherwise no one would be on here because we wouldn't have let ourselves get into the situation where we needed MFP!

Took me a long time to get to grips with the weight I'd put back on after having my daughter, but I don't beat myself up about it. It wasn't years that I wasted, I did a whole lot of stuff, just not about my weight, and, right now, I'm spending time sorting that out.

I waited until my husband was on a long (3 week) business trip, got on MFP, worked out my calories and then just got on with with measuring, weighing, tracking, but I waited until I was ready. I haven't looked back.

Don't beat yourself up that you're not "perfect", just move on and do it when you're ready (although it sounds like you are if you're posting on here...).
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think I just need to kick myself into gear!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So yesterday, I signed up with MFP and made a profile. I haven't done much else except talk to people after that. I haven't measured myself. I'm not counting calories or logging my food or walks. I'm just WRITING about doing all this stuff but not actually doing it!

Part of me wonders if it's because I'm in a holding pattern with the weight loss plan our local hospital has. I called them yesterday and they gave me an appointment for July 2. I tell myself that I want to do stuff before that date, but I keep putting it off.

Anyone else have trouble taking the first real step? How did you get off your behind and actually work the program?

You've already started. You're already making decisions about your eating and your activity level.

If you want to make different decisions in order to achieve a goal, you need to know what you are doing now and then be able to see that you have made a consistent change. The question is how disciplined you want to be with it. MFP is a great tool. A wall calendar is a great tool. A notebook is a great tool.

If you don't make different decisions, you'll keep going on the same trajectory.