So I'm aiming to lose 30lbs by July...

Options
Is the likelihood of that much by then possible?

I recently got a Planet Fitness membership and have been aiming to burn at least 200 on the elliptical each time I go. Mixed with a few ab workouts. I've been staying within my calorie intake limit. also when I work an 8 hour shift I'm on my feet for a good amount of time. So I'm just wondering if it'd be a possibility?

Some good suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    How much do you currently weigh and how tall are you? If you weigh 130 at 5'7 I'd say no way you'll lose that much by then (nor should you want to), if you are 5'1 200 I'd say absolutely you could do it.
  • LadyBaggins
    LadyBaggins Posts: 56
    Options
    175/5'7 :/
    At one point I was down to 150 and was stuck at a hump for a while then ended up gaining weight.
    So I'd like to get down to at least 135-145
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It looks like you only have 36 lbs to loose.

If you workout 6 days a week with a 200 calorie burn that is 1200 calories through exercise. That means you need to cut your calories by 2300 per week or 328 calories a day to see a 1lb loss per week. Because of the amount of weight you want to loose, it's not advisable to loose faster than that. 2 lbs a week would be a 657 calories less a day and that is alot.

While not impossible, I do not think it's a good idea. I would increase your exercise a little and shoot for 1 lb a week.
  • LadyBaggins
    Options
    How much do you currently weigh and how tall are you? If you weigh 130 at 5'7 I'd say no way you'll lose that much by then (nor should you want to), if you are 5'1 200 I'd say absolutely you could do it.
    Also, 113lbs lost? Jeez that's fantastic :D
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

there are 8 weeks until July. 30 pound loss in 8 weeks would be 4 pounds a week. I don't think that is reasonable even for someone who is very overweight to expect. I think 10 pounds in that amount of time is a reasonable goal.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

If you workout 6 days a week with a 200 calorie burn that is 1200 calories through exercise. That means you need to cut your calories by 2300 per week or 328 calories a day to see a 1lb loss per week. Because of the amount of weight you want to loose, it's not advisable to loose faster than that. 2 lbs a week would be a 657 calories less a day and that is alot.

While not impossible, I do not think it's a good idea. I would increase your exercise a little and shoot for 1 lb a week.
    This this this!
  • LadyBaggins
    Options

Thanks! Makes total sense. Yeah the past few days of me logging what I've been eating I've been about 300-600 below calorie intake
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Thanks! Makes total sense. Yeah the past few days of me logging what I've been eating I've been about 300-600 below calorie intake

So do you mean you have been eating 300-600 below what your maintenance calories would be or do you mean you are eating 300-600 calories below what MFP's calculator suggested you eat to lose weight? How many calories are you eating in a typical day?
  • LadyBaggins
    Options

there are 8 weeks until July. 30 pound loss in 8 weeks would be 4 pounds a week. I don't think that is reasonable even for someone who is very overweight to expect. I think 10 pounds in that amount of time is a reasonable goal.
    True.. In the past I have lost 15 in three weeks before. And was able to keep it off for a long time.
    Wasn't starving myself either or anything, just a lot of DDR and walking + drinking water :)
    But that was back when I was like 210lbs and my body wasn't use to exercising.
  • LadyBaggins
    Options

So do you mean you have been eating 300-600 below what your maintenance calories would be or do you mean you are eating 300-600 calories below what MFP's calculator suggested you eat to lose weight? How many calories are you eating in a typical day?
    300-600 MFP'S calculator. If I add you as a friend will it show you the my diary part as to what I've been keeping track of?
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started at 330 am now at 296 after a month but for someone your size I don't think that is reasonable. Also keep in mind that before I gained a ton of weight I was a gym rat for most of my teens and early 20's. I also use a nutritionist and my trainer is a former competitive natural body builder. I'm blessed in the fact that I don't need to work so I can get up go to the gym run 2 miles, work out for 45 minutes, go home,rest, have lunch, go swimming, and then I do an hour of light cardio, followed by TRX. It's brutal and I'm slowing down a ton now and plan to slowly lose the rest of the weight ( I only went that hard for medical reasons). Take it slow and steady and you will probably be much happier, healthier, and get better long term results :) Best of luck to you!!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Is te 200 calories burned what the machine says?

I wouldnt put too much stock into that.
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you netting in a day? you need a minimum of 1200 and then your 200 exercise calories.

I personally can't stick to eating more on exercise days and less on non exercise days so I eat 1450 everyday (with one cheat meal a week) and only eat back exercise calories if I'm starving. This works better for me and at certain times of the month I eat back every single exercise calorie and then some so it makes up for days I'm netting less than 1200.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

300-600 MFP'S calculator. If I add you as a friend will it show you the my diary part as to what I've been keeping track of?

I'd honestly prefer you just say publicly how many calories you are eating a day. That way you can get advise from more than just myself. Are you embarrassed by the amount you are eating?
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree with aarons last post. If you eat too few calories you will lose weight fast...until your body adjusts and you hit a plateau that can last for a month or more. Also you will be losing muscle which burn's more calories than fat at rest, making future weight loss and maintence much more difficult.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Eating too few calories will leave you pretty exhausted too. Believe me, I wish I could starve myself for a couple months on a juice fast, but I know its not a good idea. Slow and steady.
  • LadyBaggins
    Options
    Is te 200 calories burned what the machine says?

I wouldnt put too much stock into that.
    Yeah 200 is what the machine says
  • LadyBaggins
    Options

I'd honestly prefer you just say publicly how many calories you are eating a day. That way you can get advise from more than just myself. Are you embarrassed by the amount you are eating?
    Well for example my goal on MFP says 1540. Between what I've eaten today and walking calories added in, it says I still have 923 calories remaining that I'm allowed to eat. And I'm already done with food for the night.
  • LadyBaggins
    Options
    Eating too few calories will leave you pretty exhausted too. Believe me, I wish I could starve myself for a couple months on a juice fast, but I know its not a good idea. Slow and steady.
    Yeah I don't mean to.. For Breakfast I had a clif bar, followed by a half an hour walk. Accidentally neglected lunch, but had a banana for snack. BBQ chicken, mashed potatoes and about 1 cup of peas. And it still says I'm way under on calories): but I don't feel that hungry at the moment..
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Well for example my goal on MFP says 1540. Between what I've eaten today and walking calories added in, it says I still have 923 calories remaining that I'm allowed to eat. And I'm already done with food for the night.

Yikes you need to eat more. You're not doing yourself any favours eating so little.

Read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants