Protein Powder

Options
Before anything just quick question... what is the purpose of a protein powder ? It keeps you full longer ? I'm in the search of a protein powder... Any suggestions ? And where I'm able to put my hands on one?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Before anything just quick question... what is the purpose of a protein powder ? It keeps you full longer ? I'm in the search of a protein powder... Any suggestions ? And where I'm able to put my hands on one?

The purpose is to supplement your diet with additional protein in a convenient and cheap manner. You might want to do this if your diet is particularly low in protein and you don't want to bother with whole foods like chicken or turkey or tuna because they are expensive or you don't have time to prepare them. Does it make you full longer? Well, in the way that any protein does yeah I suppose so...most people find protein very satiating relative to other macros.

You can get your hands on some in any nutrition store or just on amazon.com.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The purpose of protein powder is to give you more protein. It's that simple
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

why are you in search of one?
  • WNT2BSKNEE
    WNT2BSKNEE Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make protein shakes every morning and they keep me full for a few hours. I get a low carb protein at the vitamin shoppe. Their store brand is tasty, especially the chocolate mint flavor. I LOVE it with a banana, 1TBS choc PB2, some flax, 1C almond milk and a few ice cubes!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    protein powders are also available in most grocery stores. I get mine in bulk at Sam's club.
  • briggitte59
    briggitte59 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    To add to breakfast smoothies
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I drink a protein shake most days but the way I have my macros set my protein goal is often 200 grams and its hard to get that without a little supplement now and again. Unless you are on a particularly high protein diet it is probably unnecessary and you will get sufficient protein just with a normal diet. Wouldn't harm you to try it though if you want to.
  • jon830
    jon830 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Aaron is right in that protein can be used to help supplement your diet if you are finding it hard to reach your daily intake goal. But not all proteins are recommended for a meal replacement. Some proteins absorb quickly and will leave you hungry within the hour. If you are looking for a slow digesting protein, you should look into purchasing casein. If you are just looking for a protein powder to help you reach your intake goal, then good ol' whey concentrate will do. Whey concentrate is the staple protein for beginners.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    To add to breakfast smoothies

cool.

but why?
    you say you don't know what they're for, yet you're looking for one.
    just thinking maybe you're putting the cart before the horse.

aaron and jon have the best advice in here. nice posts.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some protein powder on Amazon. My protein intake has been very low so I'm going to try 2-3 servings of powder a day. Along with tuna over tossed salad and boiled eggs for my snacks.
    I may add some egg beaters for more if I find I still need more. Some days I've only eaten 20-30 grams all day, with carbs and fat being my major food groups!
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have a small case of protein powder and some protein shakes ("muscle milk") handly for those days that I have trouble meeting my protein requirements. Otherwise, chicken is the main source of protein for me.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Aaron is right in that protein can be used to help supplement your diet if you are finding it hard to reach your daily intake goal. But not all proteins are recommended for a meal replacement. Some proteins absorb quickly and will leave you hungry within the hour. If you are looking for a slow digesting protein, you should look into purchasing casein. If you are just looking for a protein powder to help you reach your intake goal, then good ol' whey concentrate will do. Whey concentrate is the staple protein for beginners.

Yeah I know casein is marketed as slow digestion and whey is fast digestion but honestly my whey protein shake is very filling and keeps me satisfied for a while. I still eat anyways because I need to for my calories but I'm never hungry.

Personal experience is subjective though, find what works for you...ignore marketing campaigns imo.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein powders are no different than a multi vitamin. They supplement a part of your diet where you lack adequate nutrition. If you aren't achieving 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, protein powders are a good thing. But they are not a requirement.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

Yeah I know casein is marketed as slow digestion and whey is fast digestion but honestly my whey protein shake is very filling and keeps me satisfied for a while. I still eat anyways because I need to for my calories but I'm never hungry.

Personal experience is subjective though, find what works for you...ignore marketing campaigns imo.

I agree with Aaron on this. I saw no benefit from casein as compared to whey. In fact, looking at the protein and fat ratio in either is probably more important than the type of protein. Personally I found muscle milk whey the most filling.
  • Abnersama
    Abnersama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with Aaron on this. I saw no benefit from casein as compared to whey. In fact, looking at the protein and fat ratio in either is probably more important than the type of protein. Personally I found muscle milk whey the most filling.

And the chocolate flavor is FANTASTIC. ;)
  • 503pdx
    503pdx Posts: 31
    Options
    I use protein powder in a breakfast smoothie. I use 1/2 cup milk (almond milk works too), 1/2 cup of yogurt (Greek yogurt for even more protein if you like, I just use light and fit mostly), 1 cup frozen fruit (usually strawberries) and a scoop of protein powder. It helps me hit my macros and keeps me full all morning. I just throw it all in my Magic Bullet and breakfast is ready. I usually throw it in the freezer at work until I'm hungry or eat 1/2 then a couple hours later finish it so I'm eating every 1.5-2 hours.

I use the Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Isolate powder. They have a chocolate that is very good and also a chocolate peanut butter. I plan to try the strawberry next to switch it up. They sell at Wal-Mart for around $15 for 21 servings, so about $.70 a day.
  • PeaceLoveTrees
    PeaceLoveTrees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use pea protein and add it to my meal replacement shakes in the morning to bulk up the protein count. I have read all kinds of varying things on how much protein you should get in a day which I find confusing, but based on what MFP tells me, I rarely ever hit it. I'm actually thinking about adding "snack" shakes to add more. I went with pea protein because I'm vegan, and I got a tub with 28 servings of it for $9 on Swanson Health.
  • MamaBearCPA
    MamaBearCPA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We like the Cytosport Brand - available at Costco - it's the lowest carb protein powder we've found. It only comes in chocolate and vanilla - but we add other flavors or ingredients to it.

For variety - we add the Torani sugar free syrups (made with Splenda - not the pink or blue artificial sweetners) - the chocolate protein powder with salted caramel syrup - amazing - and keeps me full until lunch. If you need more fiber - add in some flax seed. I also make fruit smoothies using the vanilla powder - powder, fruit, water, ice and maybe some of the Torani syrup for added sweetness. I also add a tablespoon of coconut oil - good fat - don't really taste it.

I personally was having a horrible time getting enough protein without using it. Now I use it pretty much every morning for breakfast. Make a shake - and drink it on my commute to work. I'm not hungry until lunchtime.

I strive for a very low carb - good fat - lean protein diet - trying to eat according to a ketogenic diet. No wheat. No soy. No corn. Minimal dairy (just the scoop of protein powder). I've reset the nutrition percentages in "myfitnesspal" to equal the way I eat - so be aware you can do that in this program if you want.

Good luck!
  • pkteen
    pkteen Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    All types of protein in any shape or form keep you full for longer. I have whey protein everyday just to supplement my diet with extra protein since I exercise a LOT.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Bottom line if you exercise a ton and/or you have a very high protein macro goal you might find it difficult to hit your protein grams per day without a protein powder supplement. Other than that though you don't need to have protein shakes and as such a protein shake just becomes another type of food like anything else.

You may as well have asked about chicken breasts in the same way. Its just a food, no magical properties. You might find you enjoy it and its satiating and that works for you or you might find that it tastes like chalk and you hate it. Just remember you likely don't need it unless you have a really high protein gram target.