About how much are "good" running shoes?

Options
I'm planning to go to a local running store to be properly fitted for running shoes. They don't sell online, so their website doesn't list prices. I'm curious how much can I expect a "good" pair of shoes to be?

I understand they'll have a variety of options and prices. I am hoping to come in under $100, but I have no idea how realistic that is.

If it helps, I have next to no running experience. I want to start C25K but my cheap sneakers aren't cutting it. I walked a 5K a few weeks ago and I want to be able to run one before summer is over.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• ManjeetBhatia
    ManjeetBhatia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Expect to pay around $100-$130.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    About $100-$150 depending on your needs.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Mine were last seasons colours in the sales. Nike structure 13. Think I paid around 50-60 UKP. I love them. They're like a pair of slippers from the first wear. Definitely worth going to a running shop and being fitted correctly. If I remember correctly they looked at my arches, my ankle stability, and my gait. They're also half a size bigger than I normally wear to allow for hot swollen feet :)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    $100-150, depending on the brand....although you can probably find the same pair a bit cheaper online. Just be sure you buy your FIRST pair at the running shop that does your fitting and gait analysis. :smile:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My last pair were about $100 on sale with a coupon. But they were the outdated model (Kayano 19) and on sale because the newer model had just hit the shelves (Kayano 20).

The 20's were $170.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am rotating 3 pairs of shoes right now. Asics GT2000, Saucony Ride 6 and Pegasus 30. I paid about $85 on average for each, plus tax. They will all last between 300-350 miles, which is par for the course for me. Other than getting ripped off buying a pair of Newtons, I have not spent over $100 on any pair of shoes and have been running for 25 years+. I generally buy exclusively from running stores and expos. I have not bought online for a long time.

Of course, if it turns out you need something like a Kayano or similar shoe with lots of bells and whistles you may end up well over $100. It really depends on what you need in terms of support.

Most stores give discounts to local running clubs so have some information handy before you go in and don't be afraid to ask. They expect it.
    I'm planning to go to a local running store to be properly fitted for running shoes. They don't sell online, so their website doesn't list prices. I'm curious how much can I expect a "good" pair of shoes to be?

I understand they'll have a variety of options and prices. I am hoping to come in under $100, but I have no idea how realistic that is.

If it helps, I have next to no running experience. I want to start C25K but my cheap sneakers aren't cutting it. I walked a 5K a few weeks ago and I want to be able to run one before summer is over.

• GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Pay more for your first pair from the shop and then next pair get them from online retailer cheaper:)
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    yeah, about $100. but once you find your "kind" of shoe, maybe they'll have some that will work for you in a couple different prices. the good news is that once you get YOUR shoe, you can order online for a lower price. I get a ton of shoes from Runningwarehouse.com
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a running store to get my running shoes, but I know the ones around cost more than other shoe stores. The fitting could be a good idea to get a feel for what to look for, even if you decide not to buy the shoes there.

I just bought new running shoes, and I went to a few different stores when I had plenty of time to try them on, jog in place, jog up and down the aisle, and get a decent feel for how they will feel when I am actually running. For example, one pair felt awesome when I walked in them, but when I jogged up the aisle, I realized a seam near my toes was rubbing. A few miles in, that slight rubbing was going to be torture, so I put those back.

I got mine for under $100 and love them. (New Balance for $65, on sale from $80), just as one reference point.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks Ghost and as I recall they were around $130. I think you'd be hard pressed to come across anything of quality under $100. Proper shoes are worth every penny though IMO. Having proper shoes for your step is important...a lot of people don't know that they pronate for example...or in my case, supinate...or are neutral...all require different support and that support makes all the difference when you're putting miles on your feet.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I wear Hoka's and they start at $180.00.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

About the lowest normal price would be $80.
    DONT DONT DONT fall into the trap that the best shoes are the most expensive. I have heard alot of people say that over the years doing the C25k program.

Go to that store and see whats fits you the best. Try as many on as you can,s ee what feel the best. Many stores will let you jog on a treadmill or even outside for a brief time to really feel them out.

After you purchase and use them, if you really like them go online and search. Running shoes change often. Many times an updated version will change enough that you wont like anymore.

I really like the Nike Lunarfly shoes. Last I found were the 4's, and now went online and found some 2 and 3's for less than retail from places just trying to get rid of them.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    100.00 can be done, good call going in to be properly fitted. It's going to cost a bit more at a store like that but worth it for sure. Good shoes will run from $80-$170 they will show you ones in your size/width in different price ranges. If your confident that you will be doing a lot of running then don't worry too much about the cost. If you might stick with it for two weeks and stop running, go with the cheaper ones, they don't last very long anyways if you run a lot so you can upgrade in 6 months or so.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd say around $120 for the first fitted pair. And after that, you can snatch 'em up real for cheap during annual model closeouts for probably $70-80.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be hard pressed to come across anything of quality under $100

Disagree.

If it is a model that is being replaced by a newer version then they will be significantly cheaper. The shoes that I bought are the Brooks Adrenaline 13 and they were $70. When I bought them last year they were $120.
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks Dyad and they were around $110. I started with Saucony's which were about $120 and they didn't work then went to New Balance which were about $115 and finally found my Brooks. I totally agree about not thinking that the most expensive shoe is the best for you. Brooks brought out a new shoe that I was honestly worried I would like because it was $160 (!!!) but the $110 ones fit perfectly for me. Definitely try on a lot and see what's best for your feet
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My first pair was $110 in the running store. I have been able to find the same shoes for a lot cheaper online... once as low as $60 but typically $75 or so. I felt I owed it to the running store to purchase the first set in the store, since they spent the time helping me.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yep. I just spent $140. Worth every penny too.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    yeah, about $100. but once you find your "kind" of shoe, maybe they'll have some that will work for you in a couple different prices. the good news is that once you get YOUR shoe, you can order online for a lower price. I get a ton of shoes from Runningwarehouse.com

^^^ this ^^^ I got fitted at my local running speciality store. Paid around $100 for my first pair. Now I order from runningwarehouse. Much cheaper. Got mine and the hubs last pairs for under $60/pair with free shipping and free shopping bag.
  • empowering4you
    Options
    Online is always a great place to shop for deals. Ebday and amazon, I'm sure you can find a great price and a lot less then sticker price.