vitamins

Options
does anybody believe in vitamins generally? I am thinking of getting some as I dont eat red meat. Also would like them for help with hair skin nails and general heALTHY metabolism. any ideas?:ohwell:

Replies

• skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    I just read an article about the ADA backing off their recommendation that everyone take a daily multi-vitamin. They said that multi's don't help women fight and/or prevent disease and some vitamins may actually have things in them that are linked to certain cancers. They are now recommending that women take: a)calcium w/vitamin D; b)Omega-3's (fish oil) if you consume less than 3 servings of fish a week; and c)fiber supplements. I take all those PLUS I use GNC's Womens Hair, Skin, and nails Vitamin pack, which is essentially lots of Vitamin A, E, Collagen, and Biotin...I like the way my skin, hair, and nails look and feel...my skin feels stronger...tighter. My nails grow more quickly. And my rough spots (elbows, heels) are MUCH MUCH smoother.

Good luck!!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Um...I dont "believe" in the ones in pills. I believe in the ones in vegetables! Since i started eating healthy and vegetables (daily and a lot) I havent been sick - and i was really often sick before. It helped me a lot! I think that is as positive for me as the weight loss...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I get the women's multivitamin from Vitamin World. It's a complete multivitamin that also has some herbal supplements specifically designed for women. They're really great!
  • RowdyRoulette
    RowdyRoulette Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to get a food/plant based and water soluble vitamin. Our bodies can only absorb so much nutrients at a time. Therefore a One A Day is not fully affective.

I would go with a vitamin that is water soluble/plant based and take it twice a day.
  • Rondaks
    Rondaks Posts: 22
    Options
    I take a ton of vitamins... because my doctor says I should. I think I do believe in them. Especially if your doc has done a complete blood panel showing your vitamin levels. If they seem to be inline without vitamins, I think a multiple vitamin won't hurt, but you might not really need them. Have your doc check your levels. Then decide. My levels are way too low in Vitamin B12, D Calcium, and iron... so I do take them. When I remember.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Biotin for hair skin and nails. It worked for me 1 gram a day. Multivitamin can't hurt but you may need to take with food, some people get stomach aches on an empty belly.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins that I get at my local natural foods store. I take a multi, b complex with C, flaxseed oil, and cayenne every day. This was all at the recommendation of the nutritionist I saw this past spring. I don't take calcium or vitamin D because of my high diary product intake and adequate sun exposure daily.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I take Raw One for women by Vitamin Code. It's a vegan formula with extra b-12. Not that you would need this as you still eat meat. I also take several other supplements. Vitamins are important and if you are not eating a fully balanced diet you will become deficiant in several areas. While my diet is balanced I choose to err on the side of caution and take my vitamin daily just to be on the safe side.
  • julwri
    julwri Posts: 3
    Options
    I take vitamins from a company called True Essentials. They are pharmacy grade - all natural with no additives. They break down in your system the same day you take them.......... not days later like name brands like One-a-days. They are also daily packaged so you can throw one in your bag for taking later in the day if needed.

Something to remember tho, Take any vitamins with food or you will end up with acid reflux. I found out the hard way! lol

If you are interested I can direct you to a site where you can get them.