lose weight with 3 meals a day

Options
I lost a bunch of weight 3 years ago on a very low carb diet. I maintained by eating 3 small meals a day. I slowly started snacking and just eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.
My plan now is to eat 3 small meals a day and see how that works for me. Does anyone else do this? All I read about is 6 meals a day and that's why I gained weight.

Replies

• KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day with 1 or 2 healthy snacks in between. I've read about 6 smaller meals etc etc but it just wouldn't work with my routine. I understand that its meant to be about maintaining blood sugar levels etc but I think that so long as you don't skip meals you should be fine as you are still spreading your calorie intake over the day. Good luck however you do it :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you eat 6 meals a day they're supposed to be half the size...

It doesn't matter how often you eat, it's just your total calories that matter.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I eat between 5-7 times a day and have lost 22lbs so far. I don't think it raises your metabolism (which although was originally the thought has been disproven). But I do find that if I eat low cal 200-300 calories 5-7 times throughout the day, I never feel the need to overeat because it's always time to eat. It's helped tremendously.

ETA: Truthfully, I think if you found something that works for you and you are happy with it..... THAT is what matters :)
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i eat 3 meals a day and snacks

i fit them into my calories and im losing just fne
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    I've only ever really lost a lot of weight eating just 3 meals a day. If I do have a snack, it's just one and it's 25-30 raw almonds.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I usually have two meals a day - I get hungry late am and late pm, so that's when I eat. I also have snacks, which I love and can have more that way. Everyone's got a routine that suits them and I don't want to change anything really, just less alcohol, less fat, and fewer calories overall. People have been telling me I should eat breakfast for years but I don't want and can't see any point making myself.
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals a day and have fruit for a snack, once a day.
    I also have chocolate most days- even if just one piece :)
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    3 meals a day and two snacks inbetween, thus far it seems to be working in helping my weight loss :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i tend to do a bit of intermittent fasting during the day, so i just eat when i'm hungry. sometimes that can mean consuming all my calories in a 6 hour span and other times it's me eating a meal and not being hungry for another one for like 8 hours.

i dont think i could do the mini meals because most of my meals are in the 400-500 calorie range.

but on average i get in 3 meals and a snack
  • estherwhetstone
    estherwhetstone Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies! I'm inspired now and will do it!
  • OperationGetFIT
    Options
    I'm also eating 3 meals a day with 1-2 snacks in between...usually a fruit or a low calorie snack pack. It has worked for me so far. I have lost 10 lbs in one month. Also exercising 6 days a week.
  • amanda150x
    Options
    I'm looking more to loose from my belly. So I do 10 tiny meals/day with lots of fluids. The meals are about 70-100 calories. I picked up most of the habits from http://weightbeam.com/exercise/5-truths-about-loosing-stomach-fat/
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter how often you eat, it's just your total calories that matter.

This ^^

Also, might add it doesn't matter when you eat as well. Just worry about hitting your daily calorie goals and you'll lose weight.
  • Hottea115
    Hottea115 Posts: 3
    Options
    Check out www.nosdiet.com

Also, I've been reading that eating 3 meals per day w/ 5-6 hours between meals allows leptin to regulate itself and is better for health... look that up on google or youtube. Some good info there.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont think it matters, it just the calories. i cant do 6 meals because psychologically i like large calorie meals. i cant be eating 500-700 calorie meals 6 times a day :laugh: i mean i could, but i wouldnt lose weight like that

i kinda just eat when i'm hungry which ends up being 2-4 times a day
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i eat only 2 or 3 times, maybe one snack if i'm peckish
  • oolala53
    oolala53 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been using 3 meals a day on weekdays with about 90% compliance for more than 4 years. I lost 40 lbs. slowly and have maintained in my normal BMI range for two years.

Three meals a day is the norm in France and Italy. (Norm means most of the time.) They have the lowest average BMI's in Europe.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Lose weight with 1, 2, 3, 4,... 20, 21 etc meals a day as long as the aggregate creates a calorie deficit.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure your food, log accurately, eat at a deficit. Profit.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 meals a day, with 1-2 snacks. Eat however many meals works best for you! :)