Constant case of the munchies

Options
So I have this major problem of not being hungry but always wanting to munch on something. I've tried chewing sugarless gum to trick myself into thinking i was eating something but that didn't really work out. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do that helps? Or maybe its just mind over matter?

Replies

• tg123tg
    Options
    I just have no control over food!!! I can be full and still eat and eat and eat.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Do your best to keep your mind occupied. Being bored definitely leads to these kinds of problems.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking hot water with a slice of lemon throughout the day and I have not been snacking at all....
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house! This happens to me if I'm at home on a weekend and am not doing much. And it's just mindless eating as "something to do". I recommend when the urge hits you, put your shoes on and go for a walk/jog/cycle/something. Call a friend and arrange a meet up for coffee/tea/diet soda, anything to get away from that pantry.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I heard or read a suggestion for this once (I think it comes from Dr. Phil)... Just find something to do that requires use of both your hands... like knitting, playing video games, etc... Your hands will be too busy to snack. I haven't had much luck following this advice, but it sounds reasonable. Good luck!
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    Generally it's a texture or flavour thing for me - I usually want something crunchy or salty . Raw veggies (carrot, celery, capsicum, etc) are great for crunch, and don't add many calories. Air-popped popcorn (or even some microwave varietues if you can find a decent one without too much added to it) is great for a salt craving, and you get a decent quantity for minimal calories so it should last and you won't be looking for more food all the time.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have things on hand to munch that are good for you- I keep pea pods, sliced peppers, broc, greenbeans- pretty much any veggie I can eat raw, in portions in my fridge- indulge your inner snacker- just don't give it chocolate and chips everytime. If you are hungry at snack time, and not just eating to be moving your mouth, have something protein based- greek yogurt, 1 tbsp of peanut butter, or almonds and dried apricots are my faves.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    Or, as others have said, try to keep yourself occupied and you probably won't even think of snacking :)
  • buibear88
    buibear88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    This is a huge issue of mine so i really appreciate all the advice. I think MFP will be my go to activity when I'm feeling bored and craving food :smile:
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you have yellow teeth, buy some of those whitening strips that you have to wear for half an hour. Put 'em in after dinner when you're feeling the munchies creep up, and by the time they're ready to come out, the feeling may have passed.
    Or, brush your teeth if you KNOW you're not actually hungry. Then eating immediately afterward seems counterproductive.

Go for a walk whenever you start to feel like munching (as long as you don't walk to a fast food joint, lol).
    Or do the trick with an elastic band on your wrist that you snap whenever you think of snacking when you're not hungry. Should reinforce mindless munching as a BAD habit.

Hope this helps for you!
  • colestephens
    colestephens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It could be that your body is actually "hungry". Even if you're getting your requisite calories during the day, you could still be under-nourished...and that could cause you to be hungry. You could have 4 candy-bars per day and be fine as far as calories go, but your body would process that and say, "Hey...I need something else...because what I really need isn't in this." Take a close look at what you're eating as well as how much of it you're eating.
  • buibear88
    buibear88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you have yellow teeth, buy some of those whitening strips that you have to wear for half an hour. Put 'em in after dinner when you're feeling the munchies creep up, and by the time they're ready to come out, the feeling may have passed.
    Or, brush your teeth if you KNOW you're not actually hungry. Then eating immediately afterward seems counterproductive.

Go for a walk whenever you start to feel like munching (as long as you don't walk to a fast food joint, lol).
    Or do the trick with an elastic band on your wrist that you snap whenever you think of snacking when you're not hungry. Should reinforce mindless munching as a BAD habit.

Hope this helps for you!

I've never thought of the brushing teeth idea! Thanks, i will def try that out!