DAT URGE

Options
I am feeling the urge to binge and break everything I worked so hard to get. I guess I'm writing this to show how I feel but I really feel like engulfing a whole box of cookies so I'm confused. I don't want to do it and I know how it's going to effect me but I still have that urge. I always get this far and then fall off because I either get comfortable, lazy orI just can't control myself. Maybe this is just a rant to control myself or maybe to show how I feel how I feel, but whatever it is, I need help and I need it now

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    You just have to not do it. You simply have to make the conscious decision that your goals are more important than food. I've been lean for over 2 years but I still from time to time think about my old days of eating at buffets and downing entire bags of chips and containers of dip in one sitting. I am still fully capable of doing those things, I simply choose not too. I've come to far and my goals are too important. Also remember that the feeling of enjoyment from eating is so short lived. It's over before you know it then the feelings post binge are awful. It feels much better, for much longer, to achieve your goals!
  • serrazee
    serrazee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the urge to binge and break everything I worked so hard to get. I guess I'm writing this to show how I feel but I really feel like engulfing a whole box of cookies so I'm confused. I don't want to do it and I know how it's going to effect me but I still have that urge. I always get this far and then fall off because I either get comfortable, lazy orI just can't control myself. Maybe this is just a rant to control myself or maybe to show how I feel how I feel, but whatever it is, I need help and I need it now

I know how you feel, and the desire to binge can be overwhelming! I know because I have a problem with binge-eating as well. But, you are not alone! At least check out this MFP group, they tend to be very helpful and motivational: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group

My personal advice is that if you have the cookies in your house, and you have an overwhelming desire to binge on them, without hesitating, throw them in the garbage and then pour dishsoap on them to make them inedible! When I do this, I feel grateful that I didn't give into the temptation, and a bit annoyed that I wasted my money like that. But if you know it is a trigger food, don't purchase it in the future, at least for a while.

A lot of people say to take a walk when you feel the desire to binge, but sometimes that's not always an option.

I am trying to learn how to control my binge urges while keeping my favorite foods in the house. No one should completely eradicate their favorite foods from their diet, but keeping the trigger foods out for a while can help you while you try to find other ways to alleviate the desire to binge, or figure out what causes the binges in the first place.

Hope this helps! :)
    (edited for spelling and grammar haha)
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Are you still allowing yourself treats in moderation? I went and bought a few packages of halloween-size chocolate bars that are around 60-80 calories each and 1 or 2 of those kick my chocolate craving like crazy.

I also really like Pretzel Thins or Special K Cracker chips, divided up into single servings and covered in salsa and red pepper dip. Feels like I'm eating total junk but still really easy to fit into my daily calorie allowance :).
  • Iconx11
    Iconx11 Posts: 33
    Options
    You just have to not do it. You simply have to make the conscious decision that your goals are more important than food. I've been lean for over 2 years but I still from time to time think about my old days of eating at buffets and downing entire bags of chips and containers of dip in one sitting. I am still fully capable of doing those things, I simply choose not too. I've come to far and my goals are too important. Also remember that the feeling of enjoyment from eating is so short lived. It's over before you know it then the feelings post binge are awful. It feels much better, for much longer, to achieve your goals!

Wow thanks dude
    What was your motivation that kept your going through the difficult times?
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I feel ya bro. I agree with serrazee. Make the cookies inedible. I don't buy food that I know has the potential to be a binge choice. When the desire to binge comes around, I have nothing to binge on and the feeling passes. I have no choice, but to not binge.
  • Crystal22081987
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel. Ive failed at this weight loss game many times and the last couple of days I have been doing really good....that is until I get that uncontrollable craving and eat a huge muffin with like 700 calories. Look at your goal and your future, it is much better without these foods as a binge...And it is true, the guilt sucks. We all need to stick together in this goal!
  • Iconx11
    Options

I know how you feel, and the desire to binge can be overwhelming! I know because I have a problem with binge-eating as well. But, you are not alone! At least check out this MFP group, they tend to be very helpful and motivational: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group

My personal advice is that if you have the cookies in your house, and you have an overwhelming desire to binge on them, without hesitating, throw them in the garbage and then pour dishsoap on them to make them inedible! When I do this, I feel grateful that I didn't give into the temptation, and a bit annoyed that I wasted my money like that. But if you know it is a trigger food, don't purchase it in the future, at least for a while.

A lot of people say to take a walk when you feel the desire to binge, but sometimes that's not always an option.

I am trying to learn how to control my binge urges while keeping my favorite foods in the house. No one should completely eradicate their favorite foods from their diet, but keeping the trigger foods out for a while can help you while you try to find other ways to alleviate the desire to binge, or figure out what causes the binges in the first place.

Hope this helps! :)
    (edited for spelling and grammar haha)

Thanks for the advice I see what you mean but I want to be able to control my mind and body instead of manipulating the environment to become suitable for my goals
  • Iconx11
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel. Ive failed at this weight loss game many times and the last couple of days I have been doing really good....that is until I get that uncontrollable craving and eat a huge muffin with like 700 calories. Look at your goal and your future, it is much better without these foods as a binge...And it is true, the guilt sucks. We all need to stick together in this goal!

Yeah I hate those muffins, they're like 3 inches tall and are more destructive than McDonalds. And yeah we need to stick together. I control my urge, my urge doesn't control me! This is really helping!
  • Chris_58
    Chris_58 Posts: 32
    Options
    You should just eat them :P
    No but don't eat them, I'm just a bad influence XD

You know you'll feel worse after eating them, yet you still want them, I know how it is man.
    Thankfully I'm on maintenance at the moment so I have a lot more free play with my calories, it's great ;)