What should a couch potato start out with?

Options
I want to do the elliptical machine but how long should I try to go for when I'm first starting out?

Replies

• Meganne1982
    Options
    When I first started ellipticaling, and I was in pretty lame shape then- I started with 20 min on a pretty low intensity. But very quickly I was alble to add to the length and difficulty of my work out :)
  • EaglesFan521
    EaglesFan521 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When i first started out i did about 20 minutes on the elliptical and did 30 minutes on the bike, but thats mostly because i don't like the elliptical. I just recently started the couch to 5k program, which i really enjoy! I think its probobly best to get on the elliptical and see how you feel and go from there!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree, start small, I started on the elliptical and could barely get 300 cal burned in 30 minutes - now I can get 500....start with low level of resistance and half way through your routine, increase a level....do that a few times, then up your starting level..I now start on level 10 and end on 15......minute for minute, it is the best calorie burner in the gym - in my opinion :)
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I sit all day at work and when I get home I sit some more. I am trying to motivate myself to exercise, or at least MOVE.
    I used to use the elliptical years ago and hurt myself the first I got on. lol I pulled a muscle in my chest somehow. I would suggest, the first time, do it for 15 minutes. If after the 15 is up, you still feel good and comfortable, do another 15. The elliptical works a lot of muscles you don't realize you have so take it slow! :)
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I recently started the Couch to 5K, as well. I hate the elliptical and avoid it at all costs. It just KILLS me. I can stay on the treadmill for over an hour, but 2 minutes into the elliptical and I'm saying the ugly words. :/
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    I did 15 minutes now I do an hour relitivley easy.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When I first starting exercising after being a total couch potato my whole life, I went to the gym to do the elliptical and walk on the treadmill. I'd walk on an incline so it adds a bit of intensity. And you can dial down the resistance on the elliptical until you get used to higher settings. I started doing 20 or 30 minutes on each. I ended up working my way up to Level 11 on the elliptical for 50 minutes.

Also, if you have a Wii, I did EA Sports Active 4 days a week on top of the gym. It was a great intro to working out since you follow along with the game. The new EA Sports Active 2 is on sale for $47 (originally $99) on Amazon!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I recently started the Couch to 5K, as well. I hate the elliptical and avoid it at all costs. It just KILLS me. I can stay on the treadmill for over an hour, but 2 minutes into the elliptical and I'm saying the ugly words. :/

I'm by no means saying that you shouldn't do it. I'm just a big crybaby when it comes to that particular machine. It's a great workout.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Couch bacon bits and couch sour cream?