Front squats - am I doing something wrong?

Options
sjaplo
sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
I'm doing the NROL progam and I just started fat burning II. It calls for front squats as opposed to the back squats I've been doing up until now. I've worked my way up to 100lbs including the bar, but when I try to "roll" the bar to my fingertips against my chest, I feel like my wrists are going to break.

I tried moving my arms closer together on the bar to no avail.

Anyone else have this issue? Should I drop the weight right down until I can figure out what the correct form should be?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    *try to keep your elbows higher
    *work on your wrist flexibility (search youtube for the methods)
    *switch to crossed-arm grip
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    *try to keep your elbows higher
    *work on your wrist flexibility (search youtube for the methods)
    *switch to crossed-arm grip

This and this. Not the last one (only cause I hate the cross armed grip personally but if it works go for it).

It took me a bit to get it too. I tried to hold on to the bar too much so getting to just my finger tips with elbows high made a huge difference.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    maybe i'm misunderstanding, but if you are saying you worked up to 100 lbs on the back squat and then tried 100 lbs on the front squat, you may want to rethink that. I back squat just shy of 200 and front squat 90.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    maybe i'm misunderstanding, but if you are saying you worked up to 100 lbs on the back squat and then tried 100 lbs on the front squat, you may want to rethink that. I back squat just shy of 200 and front squat 90.

also a good point
  • amejia79
    amejia79 Posts: 8
    Options
    I use to have the same issues with my wrist until I started to:

- Keep elbows up
    - Just use my 1st two fingers on the bar
    - Keep hands right outside of shoulder
    - Remember your wrists are there just to keep the bar from rolling forward, not for supporting the weight
  • sjaplo
    Options
    Wow - thanks all - some real food for thought. Not sure why I thought the squat weight should be the same, but I'll dial it back until I get it right.
  • sjaplo
    Options
    Just a note to say thanks again for the advice - I dropped the weight to 80lbs and kept my elbows up and was able to complete my three sets of 10 yesterday.

cheers!
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing front squats to improve my posture. Try warming up your wrists and forearms by putting one arm out horizontal to the floor and putting your palm against a wall with fingers pointing down towards the ground. Once that is fairly comfortable start turning your head away from the wall. Does a good stretch before you start your squat.

I hope this makes sense, I'm half asleep typing this out lol
  • sjaplo
    Options
    It does, but I have a warm up routine that includes T-push ups and inch worms - so my wrists should be limber :wink:

Interestingly - this months Men's Health has a page on front squats with the same advice I followed above.

cheers