Could really use some support and advice right now :(

I had a few changes in my life which led to some emotional binging for a week, then finals which led to another week, and the past few days I have been too. I never had this problem before. I was just wondering if all these binges will set back my progress over the past few months or if I'll be able to notice it come back fairly quickly once I return to normal habits?

Anyone else experience this I'd really like to hear from those who have and have come out of it and made progress.

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Whether or not you'll bounce back depends on you. I find that it's fairly easy for me to lose again after a binge as most of the "weight" I put on is from water retention from increased sodium consumption (by a lot!). Just try to get back on track with logging and staying under your calories! I know it's not always easy, but it's worth it.

It's also important to point out that a few days or even a week off track will not ruin your progress. You can always bounce back
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Whether or not you'll bounce back depends on you. I find that it's fairly easy for me to lose again after a binge as most of the "weight" I put on is from water retention from increased sodium consumption (by a lot!). Just try to get back on track with logging and staying under your calories! I know it's not always easy, but it's worth it.

It's also important to point out that a few days or even a week off track will not ruin your progress. You can always bounce back

Really working on following my calories and trying to add more water. I am just not an exerciser. Will walking do?
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Get back on track now! I went away on vacation in April to an all inclusive resort for 5 nights...I ate and drank whatever I wanted to..When I got home I had gained 4 lbs...went right back on my diet and lost the 4lbs within a week and felt great. Alot of it was water retention. You can do this...the sooner you get back on track the better you will feel :-)
  • yoderpl
    yoderpl Posts: 7 Member
    How fast you 'bounce back' really depends on how long you were following a more healthy lifestyle. The body knows what it is doing and will respond. If you have been eating well and exercising for an extended period of time, then yes, your weight and fitness level will come back relatively quickly. If, on the other hand, someone has been crash dieting, lost weight over a few weeks, and then falls off the wagon for two weeks--well, the weight doesn't come off any easier than it did the first time. However, don't focus on what is in the past. The only things such negative thoughts are good for is derailing any future progress you can make--whether that is fast or slow. There is nothing you can do about the past, but the future is in your control. Focus on what you can control, ignore the rest, and make the most of it. You will find that before you know it, you are right back where you were and beyond. Life gets in everyone's way from time to time don't let it get you down.
    Hopefully--finals went well.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Really working on following my calories and trying to add more water. I am just not an exerciser. Will walking do?

Walking IS exercising, and will do nicely :wink:
  • Drink some water, accept that you made a mistake and try not to let it happen again. Recognize the feeling that made you want to binge and learn from them. Weight loss isn't linear and try not to think that you've been set back. Just another turn on the journey. Now it's time to keep moving forward because you are worth it and being healthy and looking great is more important than whatever is getting you down.
  • Whether or not you'll bounce back depends on you. I find that it's fairly easy for me to lose again after a binge as most of the "weight" I put on is from water retention from increased sodium consumption (by a lot!). Just try to get back on track with logging and staying under your calories! I know it's not always easy, but it's worth it.

Walking won't hurt, try to find a hill to walk up, causes much more calorie burn! On my treadmill at gym I do max uphill and it multiplies calories by like 5x
  • How fast you 'bounce back' really depends on how long you were following a more healthy lifestyle. The body knows what it is doing and will respond. If you have been eating well and exercising for an extended period of time, then yes, your weight and fitness level will come back relatively quickly. If, on the other hand, someone has been crash dieting, lost weight over a few weeks, and then falls off the wagon for two weeks--well, the weight doesn't come off any easier than it did the first time. However, don't focus on what is in the past. The only things such negative thoughts are good for is derailing any future progress you can make--whether that is fast or slow. There is nothing you can do about the past, but the future is in your control. Focus on what you can control, ignore the rest, and make the most of it. You will find that before you know it, you are right back where you were and beyond. Life gets in everyone's way from time to time don't let it get you down.
    Hopefully--finals went well.

I've been at this healthy lifestyle for about 3 months or so.

& Thanks! They did haha thankfully enough.
  • Drink some water, accept that you made a mistake and try not to let it happen again. Recognize the feeling that made you want to binge and learn from them. Weight loss isn't linear and try not to think that you've been set back. Just another turn on the journey. Now it's time to keep moving forward because you are worth it and being healthy and looking great is more important than whatever is getting you down.

Thank you so much you're so right.
  • ambercubby
    ambercubby Posts: 5

Yes, walking will help. I am not an exerciser either I was more of a couch potato. When I decided to try and lose weight I went and bought a treadmill and started getting up 1/2 hour earlier Monday-Friday and doing 1/2 hour or 1 mile whichever comes first and walking on the treadmill and it has helped tremendously. I have been doing this for four weeks or so and I have actually gotten to the point where I feel guilty if I don't do the treadmill and I can tell the difference in me with energy and the fact that I have lost 4.8 lbs already.
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Just don't think about it... Literally... I binged for 2 weeks straight over 3000 calories a day because of finals....I know I'm going to do this again once my summer school finals come up.. ALL WELL
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Just wanted to chime in, I am not an exersizer either! I can come up with a million excuses to not run on a treadmill. However,I like to walk my dog,do yoga (a beginners DVD from wai Lana), ride my bike,and swim. Sometimes I dance in my living room with my kids.

But I log it all as excersize! Even if I only burn 80 calories a day from my low impact regime, something is better than nothing, and if I like it I'll do it more often. ;)
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Agree with just about everything. A few days of bad decisions only undoes your efforts if you allow the bad decisions to continue. So you goofed up. You get up tomorrow morning and you do the best you can not to repeat those bad decisions. You just try to do each day a little bit better than the last.

I 'regroup' myself by setting little goals for myself. Such as, no Reese's Cups til Thursday, and even then only a pack. I tell myself, 'thou shalt walk for 30 minutes". And I do it. Take one thing that you did wrong, and work on it for a day. Then the next day take something else. Little by little you'll move on.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    First of all, FORGIVE YOURSELF. Cut yourself some slack. Remember, you are in control in the end and you can get back on track easily!
  • ambercubby
    ambercubby Posts: 5
    I had a few changes in my life which led to some emotional binging for a week, then finals which led to another week, and the past few days I have been too. I never had this problem before. I was just wondering if all these binges will set back my progress over the past few months or if I'll be able to notice it come back fairly quickly once I return to normal habits?

Anyone else experience this I'd really like to hear from those who have and have come out of it and made progress.

Weekends are always bad for me because we go out to eat a lot but my whole thing is I still watch what I eat. Not so much the calories but the portion. I use to eat even when I was full just because there was food there now when I am full I stop eating. As much as I hate throwing away food, at this time my weight loss is more important. I figure as long as I sustain over the weekend I am happy. There have been weekends where I have gained weight (according to the scale) and I get really disappointed but that just makes me more aware of my calories and I start all over on Monday and so far I have lost every "pound" that I have gained on the weekends. Turns out it's usually water retention. Don't dwell on it, you had a period of time that was difficult for you so you just make yourself more aware of what triggered it and be prepared the next time it happens.

Tracy
  • ACrowsDay
    ACrowsDay Posts: 66 Member
    This was a good topic for me too, today! I blew it...all this past week I've been doing so good. Went for a ride today to Watkins Glen (New York) and up around the lake. We ate lunch and supper out and I really over did it. When I was done I felt horrible! All the above advice was great...tomorrow is a new day. I will exercise, drink lots of water and watch those calories! Thanks! Jen
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    One thing I've learned over the course of about 4 years of yoyo-dieting is that life ALWAYS happens. One day could be the best of your life and the next could be your worst, but you can never give up. If you have a bad day or week, so what? "If you're going through hell, keep going." It's never too late to try again.

If you need advice or support, please feel free to add me. You CAN do this! :)
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member

Exercise is not necessary to lose weight, it just helps create a larger deficit (larger deficit=more food) and it helps in overall health. I walk quite a bit but I don't log it as the calorie burns on MFP are grossly overestimated and I don't burn a lot from walking--based on my weight and fitness level.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Never too late to start again! Getting off track is something that has the potential to tear you down, but getting back up is what will make you great!!! Keep on keeping on. We all get off track and yes, life does get in the way and we lose ourselves in the mix of things, but you can always start right back again!

Feel free to friend me, I'm a college student too, so I know exactly what you mean when it comes to stress weeks with exams!