Staying fit and maintaining progress during exams/ finals

Options
I'm only a few weeks away from my exams. This is when things have gone wrong for me in the past. I'd get so tangled in studying, that it was the only thing that mattered, and my health didn't come second, it came last. The stress is huge: and chossing the right food, or exercising just didn't seem that important at all. Afterwards, however, I'd always have gained weight and feel disappointed. I want things to be different this time: I am planning to log everything this time, throughout the coming weeks and exercise as much as possible. I'm going to plan ahead, buy healthy foods, do some meal prep etc. I need to find a balance, because I cannot lose the progress I've made. Any other students out there with the same goal? :smile:

Replies

• LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem..:D Exams are only five weeks away but I'm so focused on exercise, meal prep, trying new recipes and educating myself on these matters, I can't make myself to study!! Sociology and business don't fit in my desired lifestyle right now and I don't know what to do to force myself to start working!! :(:D
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Me!!!

I am currently working on my MSc thesis in physics. The stress is killing me. I (re-)gained weight because I'm a lazy *kitten* and got really sick for a while. Also because my SO likes sweets. Just lame excuses, really. Now I'm trying to lose it all again. Mainly, I want my clothes to fit right again. I don't even own a scale, just a food scale.

My tricks are trying to see exercise as a break from writing, and something that will work everytime I do it (electronics unfortunately don't). The C210k programme is nice for me because all I have to do is what I'm told. Those three sessions a week are my break from everything else. Exercise whould be on top of your priorities, it helps you focus while studying.

When studying: Tea and water is your friend! I drink buckets of both when working. To spice up your water, put in some lemon slices, cucumber slices or fresh blueberries in the pitcher! Yummy! If you get the munchies when studying (I do), chewing gum helps. Or carrotsticks (or other sticks of veggies).
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Nice to see a post like this haven't come across many students on here. I'm in the same position, i'm maintaining for a few months now with the goal to work on body recomp more effectively once I get through finals, right now i'm just focusing on fueling my body as best I can and getting at least 3-4 workouts a week.

My thesis was due last month and can honestly say I slipped off the wagon a bit there with my minimum of 3 days a week exercise, actually helped me though because my body was just so exhausted I needed a break from that routine - what I'm saying is do your best to fit in exercise, even if it is just brief walks, a morning run, a short workout at home - whatever way is manageable for you and try to to look at your workouts as a break and not another tedious task on top of study - somedays it may feel like that but having a focused, positive mindset will encourage you a lot. :) I'm going to kettlebells classes at the moment outside of college, I find this helps me stay within my exercise routine - or else I could easily study for most the day, get home at night tired and skip my workout. Planning/preparation is key - simple things like leaving your clothes/runners out to grab and do it in the morn.

Guess just like exercise, planning/prep food is key too - sounds like you're doing that anyway, finals time I always feel like snacking more while im studying/working on essays so I stock in on things like low fat greek yoghurt - which i can add bananas/berries/nuts/cinnamon to and make a sort of treat, also quest bars - they're a nice sweet treat! And dark chocolate - hey it is mean't to help reduce stress ;) For my meals I usually prepare sun for college week mon-thurs, usually keep it simple with chicken/turkey add different veggies, brown rice - organic vegetable stocks and mixes of herbs can really add flavours to these foods so you don't get bored!
    That being said I do make room for my enjoyments too - if I want ice-cream or white chocolate instead of greek yog I will have it, but what works for me is not buying these treats into my apartment - everything in moderation, i'm at this stage now where my health is so much better since I joined this website and learned more about nutrition - putting good foods into your body will really help during exam time, its how I look at it but don't be afraid to have a balance, thats what keeps me going and keeps me focused. I follow if it fits your macros - with an approach to 80% whole nutritious foods and 20% treats - it's not always this will but most of the time I get there.

Went on a rant there haha, apologies typical student....should be studying! Best of luck to everyone with finals, these few weeks studying/work will take precedence but having your health/fitness goals in check even if its in the background for a while will really help you through. That being said if you fall off the wagon, don't meet your exercise plans or whatever don't beat yourself up, we're all human - finals are stressful enough as it is so try not to add to it ! :)
  • SunsetSafari
    Options
    I have the opposite problem..:D Exams are only five weeks away but I'm so focused on exercise, meal prep, trying new recipes and educating myself on these matters, I can't make myself to study!! Sociology and business don't fit in my desired lifestyle right now and I don't know what to do to force myself to start working!! :(:D

I understand what you're going through. I first got fit two years ago in my second year at uni. It was all so new and when the exams came, staying healthy really was a priority. I was so obsessed with keeping track of my workouts, meals, etc... In the end the exams went well and no harm was done, but looking back I think I could have done things more balanced: I went from one extreme to the other.

My advice would be to remember that what you're doing is for the rest of your life. The fact that you're so devoted is great, because a lot of us suffer from the opposit, but your exams matter too! :-)
  • SunsetSafari
    Options
    Nice to see a post like this haven't come across many students on here. I'm in the same position, i'm maintaining for a few months now with the goal to work on body recomp more effectively once I get through finals, right now i'm just focusing on fueling my body as best I can and getting at least 3-4 workouts a week.

My thesis was due last month and can honestly say I slipped off the wagon a bit there with my minimum of 3 days a week exercise, actually helped me though because my body was just so exhausted I needed a break from that routine - what I'm saying is do your best to fit in exercise, even if it is just brief walks, a morning run, a short workout at home - whatever way is manageable for you and try to to look at your workouts as a break and not another tedious task on top of study - somedays it may feel like that but having a focused, positive mindset will encourage you a lot. :) I'm going to kettlebells classes at the moment outside of college, I find this helps me stay within my exercise routine - or else I could easily study for most the day, get home at night tired and skip my workout. Planning/preparation is key - simple things like leaving your clothes/runners out to grab and do it in the morn.

Guess just like exercise, planning/prep food is key too - sounds like you're doing that anyway, finals time I always feel like snacking more while im studying/working on essays so I stock in on things like low fat greek yoghurt - which i can add bananas/berries/nuts/cinnamon to and make a sort of treat, also quest bars - they're a nice sweet treat! And dark chocolate - hey it is mean't to help reduce stress ;) For my meals I usually prepare sun for college week mon-thurs, usually keep it simple with chicken/turkey add different veggies, brown rice - organic vegetable stocks and mixes of herbs can really add flavours to these foods so you don't get bored!
    That being said I do make room for my enjoyments too - if I want ice-cream or white chocolate instead of greek yog I will have it, but what works for me is not buying these treats into my apartment - everything in moderation, i'm at this stage now where my health is so much better since I joined this website and learned more about nutrition - putting good foods into your body will really help during exam time, its how I look at it but don't be afraid to have a balance, thats what keeps me going and keeps me focused. I follow if it fits your macros - with an approach to 80% whole nutritious foods and 20% treats - it's not always this will but most of the time I get there.

Went on a rant there haha, apologies typical student....should be studying! Best of luck to everyone with finals, these few weeks studying/work will take precedence but having your health/fitness goals in check even if its in the background for a while will really help you through. That being said if you fall off the wagon, don't meet your exercise plans or whatever don't beat yourself up, we're all human - finals are stressful enough as it is so try not to add to it ! :)

I really like the idea of if it fits your macros. I'm a vegetarian though, and so for me it's more if it fits my kcal. It's good to hear someone with the same kind of experience and getting tips on how to get through it :-) My first exam is now a month away, and already, the motivation to workout has slipped, though the snacking is still under control. Good luck with your finals!
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm only a few weeks away from my exams. This is when things have gone wrong for me in the past. I'd get so tangled in studying, that it was the only thing that mattered, and my health didn't come second, it came last. The stress is huge: and chossing the right food, or exercising just didn't seem that important at all. Afterwards, however, I'd always have gained weight and feel disappointed. I want things to be different this time: I am planning to log everything this time, throughout the coming weeks and exercise as much as possible. I'm going to plan ahead, buy healthy foods, do some meal prep etc. I need to find a balance, because I cannot lose the progress I've made. Any other students out there with the same goal? :smile:

I have no advice, since during both my undergrad and msc I didn't do great. But the thing was- for me at least, my studying was the most important thing, and I didn't have the energy to count macros or calories, let alone make time for the gym. At the end of the day, it will be over in a few weeks, then you can refocus, so even if you gain a couple of pounds it's really not the end of the world.
  • briggitte59
    briggitte59 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    good question !!!
  • kLPantera
    kLPantera Posts: 5
    Options
    It helps if you set aside a specific time everyday w/planned exercises, duration, reps, and weight.
  • SunsetSafari
    Options

I have no advice, since during both my undergrad and msc I didn't do great. But the thing was- for me at least, my studying was the most important thing, and I didn't have the energy to count macros or calories, let alone make time for the gym. At the end of the day, it will be over in a few weeks, then you can refocus, so even if you gain a couple of pounds it's really not the end of the world.

I hear you: it's just that the thought of regaining the weight is quite heartbreaking. I'm tired of th yoyo dieting. I won't mind if I gain a couple of pounds or so... but sometimes I've gained many. Usually though, now is when I'd start to slip up and this time so far I'l doing okay. I'll try and keep it up.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I was a student, if I was studying at school, I would make sure to BRING my snacks with me, which helped me avoided buying pastries to go with my coffee :)

When I study at home, every hour I get up and run a mile or do a set of strength moves. It helps me mentally refocus, and it also makes sure I still get some exercise in.
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Being a college student myself, I can relate to this post. It's super hard to learn how to balance focusing on studying AND fitness but it is possible.

Making a "schedule" really helps. If you have a big exam coming up, think about what sort of studying helps you best. If you like to study a little bit every day for a week, set aside some time to workout then some time to do your studying. If you like focusing on a full day of studying, get plenty of exercise all the other days of the week and take off one day for studying and don't feel bad about not working out. Make SURE you stick to your schedule.

If you like to snack while you study, do it. But try to snack moderately healthy. Get old fashioned oats, peanut butter and semi sweet chocolate chips and combine - super yummy combo. Nuts are filling and fast. Frozen grapes or gum are great for keeping your mouth busy so you can focus on your work. Celery with peanut butter. And you know what? A slice of pizza or a mocha won't ruin your whole healthy lifestyle. Saying "skinny" before any drink at Starbucks gets you sugar free flavoring, non fat milk and no whip - saves you tons of calories and tastes BETTER. And you can always work off the guilt once you're done studying.

Keep hydrated with water and make sure you get enough protein. "Food for thought" is a very helpful quote when worrying about what to eat when you study. You need to eat to fuel your brain so don't feel guilty. Moderation is your best friend. If water isn't your best friend, try taking a huge gulp of water after every practice question/vocab word.

When going TO school, make sure you take a bottle of water with you AND snacks so you aren't tempted to waste your oney on empty calories in the machines.

If you need more tips, I'd be happy to share. Friend me if you'd like. :)
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good snack tips, thanks! Although I snack during my revision not because I'm hungry but to help me focus... So those chocolate chips go in without oats..:D I also like nibbling on raisins or puffed rice, anything that contains many small particles on as few calories as possible because I go through A LOT of it! :D
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Me too :)
    Exams in 5 weeks. I aim to just keep logging and go for small walks/ runs as breaks when studying. And make sure I have lots of healthy snacks ready as that is where I know I can fall down.
    Keep going everyone & good luck
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I schedule my workouts in and use them as stress relief. Even if I have to cut the workouts short it's still good to tire myself out/destress in the gym so I'm fully rested and ready for the big day. Think of them as symbiotic. Healthy body, healthy mind and all that.
  • taeson3055
    taeson3055 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention the number of college students on here :-) I was kind of thinking the same thing, and decided to check to see if there were any. I was happy to have found some. Academics and fitness is challenging. I figure maybe the obstacles are easier to overcome in a group.