About how much are "good" running shoes?

Options

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Full price is usually $80-$120 in the United States. I shop at the Nike Employee Store, so I never pay anywhere near that much. Not even half that. Some stores have discounted prices on older or out-of-season shoes. I've seen low prices at Marshall's and Nordstrom rack on high end shoes, and even good sales a DSW bringing the price much lower.

You should do you research and know which shoes will work for you before you buy, though. A sale won't do you much good if the shoes causes pain, and it will cost you even more if it causes injury.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Don't forget- if they watch you/video you running, there is a possibility they may suggest insoles, as well. (I use SuperFeet- like $40 or so? bc I pronate). Definitely worth it if you need them.

And good socks... ~$15 per pair? Something wicking, not cotton to prevent blisters. You'll wish you had them. Never had a blister!

And my shoes were $120 for Brooks (the price was not any cheaper online).
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I've had expensive running shoes that weren't so great and less expensive shoes that weren't so great. It really depends on your needs.

Overall, expect to pay at least 80-100. Warning: Don't assume that more expensive is always better. ;-)
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I'd be happy to pay a store that suggested I needed X type of running shoe $30 more for their shoes than I can find online. Unless there is a return policy, I'm sticking with buying online.
    Do you feel obligated when you go into a car dealership because the salesperson took the time to help you understand all of the features of the vehicle? Rude my *kitten*.

And then when everyone does that, there will be no more brick and mortar store to help you find said shoe. I agree with others - buy the first pair there, and then go wherever you want for subsequent pairs. Also, there tends to be a return policy - in fact, our local stores offer MUCH more leeway with how much the shoe was worn. I know I'm probably not going to be changing any minds here, but for the lurkers out there who are questioning the practice IMO it is a bad idea unless you really honestly cannot afford to do anything else - even then, it's pushing it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Get the reommendation from the store based on your fit. When they show you the $130 shoes tell them you want to think about it and then shop for the same shoe on Amazon.

Great, encourage people to waste store employee's time.

There's more to the price than just the product, you're receiving a service too (I'll bet you shop at Walmart too.....)
  • catweimer
    catweimer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice - only thing I would add is be upfront with your budget when they are working with you, it's a totally reasonable budget for a just-starting-out runner! That way they won't show you things that are way out of your range, and they have the benefit of developing a longer-term relationship with you if you love the shoes, love the service, and love running :).
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Get the reommendation from the store based on your fit. When they show you the $130 shoes tell them you want to think about it and then shop for the same shoe on Amazon.

This would be really bad shop etiquette to do at a local running store. Just plain bad form. :(

My local running store will take shoes back. Heck, I ran outside in a pair for two weeks and they still took them back. Nothing like home grown running stores.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Definitely didn't read all the replies but a good way to save some money is to 1. look for a previous year's model of the one you need. 2. get the brand/model you need and get them at a DSW or online at Amazon.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    WHAT!? A "GOOD" running store will want you to have what's right for you at a price that works for you.

Totally disagree.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Definitely didn't read all the replies but a good way to save some money is to 1. look for a previous year's model of the one you need. 2. get the brand/model you need and get them at a DSW or online at Amazon.

When did either of those outlets start doing stride analysis or professional fittings?
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options

When did either of those outlets start doing stride analysis or professional fittings?

When did stride analysis become necessary to go from your couch to a 5K?

I'm sorry to the O.P. I'm not trying to come across as an *kitten* and it's your money. There are pros of going to a store that will analyze your gait. Understanding whether or not you pronate or suppinate, heel striker or run on the balls of your feet is also important to buy the appropriate shoe to support your body. Look at the shoes in your closet right now. YOU can figure out what type of shoe you need by inputting what you see into mutliple online analytic tools and out will spit a recommendation for shoe (with brand and model). There is no guarantee that you will like the shoe. If the store does not offer a guarantee of full replacement I am not inclined to give my money for their "analysis" of what a computer just told them.
    Several people responded with an opinion that implied that the people that work in these stores are either Physical Therapists, Qualified Trainers or an equivalent. In most cases, they aren't. They may be runners but that means they are providing an opinion which does not mean anymore qualified opinion than those that you've received here.
    As for those that implied that I'm not a runner, shop at Wal Mart, am rude, or impolite, that's fine, your opinion and your enttitled to it. However, during 24 years in the Army I averaged running over 50 miles a week in multiple kinds of shoes to include boots. All that said to note that I have suffered heel injuries (from bad form and bad shoes), shin splints (bad shoes and over use), bad knees, bad hips as well as some really awesome runners toe. I went to a running store, had a gait analysis perfomed and now I mow my lawn in those shoes because they sucked and the store had no return policy.
    My offering was to attempt to save the O.P. some $$$.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

I'm sorry to the O.P. I'm not trying to come across as an *kitten* and it's your money. There are pros of going to a store that will analyze your gait. Understanding whether or not you pronate or suppinate, heel striker or run on the balls of your feet is also important to buy the appropriate shoe to support your body. Look at the shoes in your closet right now. YOU can figure out what type of shoe you need by inputting what you see into mutliple online analytic tools and out will spit a recommendation for shoe (with brand and model). There is no guarantee that you will like the shoe. If the store does not offer a guarantee of full replacement I am not inclined to give my money for their "analysis" of what a computer just told them.
    Several people responded with an opinion that implied that the people that work in these stores are either Physical Therapists, Qualified Trainers or an equivalent. In most cases, they aren't. They may be runners but that means they are providing an opinion which does not mean anymore qualified opinion than those that you've received here.
    As for those that implied that I'm not a runner, shop at Wal Mart, am rude, or impolite, that's fine, your opinion and your enttitled to it. However, during 24 years in the Army I averaged running over 50 miles a week in multiple kinds of shoes to include boots. All that said to note that I have suffered heel injuries (from bad form and bad shoes), shin splints (bad shoes and over use), bad knees, bad hips as well as some really awesome runners toe. I went to a running store, had a gait analysis perfomed and now I mow my lawn in those shoes because they sucked and the store had no return policy.

You averaged over ten miles per duty day for 24 years? Regiment doesn't even run that much so I'll through the BS flag here.
  • Cpollard6608
    Cpollard6608 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think if you are logging significant miles 20+ a week, then it is worthwhile to get fitted for a proper running shoe, and you will probably spend more than $100. However, general light running and cardio will allow you to buy a lower level shoe but be sure you get the right kind. For example, when I started C25K I weighed 300+ and of course, everyone says that overweight people must have stability shoes for support etc. However, I actually suppinate (roll outwards) and stability shoes often push over-pronators outward.

Also, as previously mentioned, buy the previous year's model if they are your correct fit. This can save you a TON, but do no assume that they will fit like the new model. Try them on! Good luck!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses.

If you sign up for "Groupon" you may be able to find a coupon for a local running company. I am in the Philadelphia area and we frequently see them pop up here. Usually it gets you $20-75 off of a pair of shoes. The shoes are usually between $100-$150.

Edited to say;
    Whether you cover 5 miles a week or 500(is that possible?) good quality, properly fitted running shoes can only benefit you.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options

You averaged over ten miles per duty day for 24 years? Regiment doesn't even run that much so I'll through the BS flag here.

You can throw the flag wherever you want. Using the "Regiment" word neither impresses nor intimidates as if formation runs are the only runs anyone does.

It's called leading by example which I'm sure even in the "Regiment" they can understand.

If you're looking for a resume, I have over a dozen marathons, probably double that halves, 1 50 miler and failed 18 miles from completing a 100 miler. Haven't seen too many of the "Regiment" guys out there but have run with quite a few USASOC guys.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I got mine for $60 at Winners, they fit well, have some kind of gel/memory foam like sole in them and most importantly don't give me shin splints.. I have read numerous times to go and get fitted at a running store but I simply cannot afford shoes that cost that much. One day :-)
  • brianpperkins
    Options

You can throw the flag wherever you want. Using the "Regiment" word neither impresses nor intimidates as if formation runs are the only runs anyone does.

It's called leading by example which I'm sure even in the "Regiment" they can understand.

If you're looking for a resume, I have over a dozen marathons, probably double that halves, 1 50 miler and failed 18 miles from completing a 100 miler. Haven't seen too many of the "Regiment" guys out there but have run with quite a few USASOC guys.

Usually those throwing a résumé onto a forum is full of it ... perhaps you're the exception to the rule. Then again .. you also told a person that knows little about shoes to go fit themselves .. setting a poor example that hopefully the OP is smart enough not to follow.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Basically between $60 and $250. Most are in the $90-$125 range.

The Asics Kinsei is a $200 shoe, online or in store.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses.

If you sign up for "Groupon" you may be able to find a coupon for a local running company. I am in the Philadelphia area and we frequently see them pop up here. Usually it gets you $20-75 off of a pair of shoes. The shoes are usually between $100-$150.

Edited to say;
    Whether you cover 5 miles a week or 500(is that possible?) good quality, properly fitted running shoes can only benefit you.

^^ Didn't even THINK about a groupon! Good idea for the OP.
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I paid just a little over $100 for mine. Pair of New Balance 860v4. I love them. They're super comfortable - they correct my overpronation, and they are a dream to run in. Don't let people talk you into the $200 dollar tech shoe, good shoes can be had for far less. Brooks, Saucony, Asics, New Balance -- all fantastic running shoes, and not the cost of some of the other shoes.