Just joined --I'm hungry!

Options
I just started my diet change yesterday--I need to lose 30 pounds to be healthy. If I lose 20 pound before both of my parents, they owe me $100.

I practiced healthy eating today--oatmeal breakfast, soup for lunch, chili and broccoli for dinner. Granola bar snack. I thought about food and when I could eat next all day long. Help!

Replies

• javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    It sounds like you made great choices! Hang in there - your body will adjust to eating less in a few days. I am not saying you won't have cravings - you will. I do anyway. Distract yourself, make a cup of tea, call a friend, clean something, read some before and after posts for inspiration . . . You can do it!
  • rock810
    rock810 Posts: 17
    Options
    honestly, eat! Have an apple, celery, something that will give you a satisfying crunch. If that doesn't help drink some water and occupy yourself with something else. The first few days SUCK badly, but bare with it you can do it!
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Give it a week. The first week you STARVE, then your body adjusts and it's better....and you realize that before you were always stuffed..

Don't eat under 1200 cals tho!
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    The goal is not to deprive urself, make healthier choices is all. For instance, if your cooking pasta, count the calories that go into making it, watch your sodium intake, have a pizza, but only one slice (and not everyday), drink more water, eat more veggies, eat whole wheat pasta or grain rather than white flour pasta and such. Eat chicken breast which has less fat and also without the skin, eat more fruits, reduce sugar intake, minimize or completely erase soda if possible, eat a balance diet, dont keep out the sandwich or burger, just watch the kind you order or make, and remember to log it in so you can keep track. If you deprive urself, u may end up eating around your cravings which may add up to alot more calories. Have that one peice of chocolate once in a while, or a weight watchers ice cream:smile: make healthier food substitutes. Ok so i am talking too much,, but just trying to give you ideas :smile:

The point is to eat, just about anything in a healthy way. If you deprive yourself, you wont be able to sustain your new lifestyle. Remember its a lifestyle and not a diet

Have fun with it
  • dankolle
    Options
    Your body will adjust, but don't try to cut too many calories or your weight loss won't stick. What I do when I have a craving is:

First, check my daily totals. If I have calories left use them...you cant do it all in one day!

Second, think if I am eating because of habbit or because I am really hungry.

Third, check for water, your body sometimes confuses hunger with thirst.

Fourth, determine what I want to eat, check the calories, and see if I want to spend that much more time on the treadmill because I ate it!
  • IsraaQ
    IsraaQ Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When you have hunger pangs like that just chug in water and/or have a salad it's healthy few calories and fills u up nicely
  • phreddie
    phreddie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Low calorie yogurt has helped me in the evenings when hungary. Use the goal setting tools a pick a reasonable goal, then stick with it.
  • qwenb420
    Options
    I'm sooooo hungry too but I burned 500 calories on the elliptical..... so that means more food, YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lean pockets here I come :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I agree with wyz...and the first week does suck...but after awhile when you get two snacks and three meals in, you'll be stuffed. Don't forget to realize when you snack the most so you can be prepared and combat it. for me it's at night once the child is in bed...i'm sitting here by myself wanting to munch out and watch tv. that's when i exercise. you'll be fine, it's a struggle, but that's why you're here.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    a perfect snack is to slice up some sweet red peppers.. they're juicy, crunchy & don't really count !!! and drink with water. I'm trying to tell myself "my body doesn't need fuel, i just feel like munching'... and 'if it was easy to lose weight, everyone would do it!"
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I started last week (right before New Year's) and I literally was STARVING for the first 5 days. My body adjusted. Listed to what everyone else said - eat tons of fruit and raw veggies. Very little calories and they fill you up. And I drink water like a camel, too! :)
  • douglw
    douglw Posts: 25
    Options
    When I first started, I had some pretty rough cravings, but they went away for the most part after the first week or two. In a time of extreme hunger, I have a few super secret go to foods that get me through a day. Each is relatively high in volume without being too high in calories.

1. Egg whites - I usually eat them hard boiled, but any way will do. 5 egg whites is only 85 calories.
    2. Salads - Lettuce, onions, peppers, carrots, etc. No dressing. I like to eat Romaine lettuce since iceburg has little nutritional value.
    3. water - a big glass will make you feel better until it passes.

I'm a firm believer that everyone also needs to have a respite from a diet on a regular interval with no guilt. About once a week I allow myself to have a meal that is whatever I want. I also allow myself a few beers. The rest of the time I'm on the diet all the way and working hard. This might be something to consider as you're starting out. Remember that you are trying to find a lifestyle that you can stick with for the long term. If you're like me, you know how to gain weight, and you know how to lose weight. The trick is to find a lifestyle that you can maintain. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Hopefully you (and I) find such a lifestyle in the course of our journey.

Good luck.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile, but you WILL adjust to the smaller portions and the healthy way of eating. Stock up on lots of "allowable" foods and snacks that you enjoy. Popped corn, laughing cow light cheese wedges, the entire line of Skinny Cow ice cream products (low fat and try to get the no sugar added), baby carrots.... that sort of thing. Believe it or not, after about 3 or 4 weeks, you may have difficulty eating all of your calories (and still staying under fats, sodium and sugar grams). It takes awhile. Just give it time!

You can do this! Set your mini goals and concentrate on achieving them -- one at a time. You will get there!
  • brandygburke
    brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm hugry too!!! I'm hoping the grumbling in my tummy is my tummy eating away the fat :) haha!
  • brittybee23
    brittybee23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    my first day, too, and I'm hungry! : ) going to clean the kitchen, drink some water and go to bed!!
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow light cheese wedges saved my a**. Or rather, the opposite.
  • IreneAdler
    Options
    Thanks for the support--I tried a honeycrisp apple with about 3 tbsp of peanut butter and met my calorie goal--I was 388 calories short when I posted.

Thanks, your comments mean a lot to me.