What to eat after a cardio session!

Options
Hi,

I usually almost 1100kcal per cardio session. What should I eat after this? Lot of carbs?

I usually eat a lot of protein and a few carbs for dinner. But I catch up on breakfast and lunch where I eat a lot of carbs (bread, pasta...). I usually train in the evening.

Thanks,
Jamal

Replies

• holmjm4
    holmjm4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good mix of carbs and protein within 30 minutes after your workout. When i was training for my first marathon a nutritionist told me a glass of chocolate low fat milk was probably the easiest and best post workout refueling. I usually do chocolate almond milk and I feel great afterwards.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Protein, some carbs and veggies. Also, when I do that much exercising, I eat dessert ;-)
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Protein, some carbs and veggies. Also, when I do that much exercising, I eat dessert ;-)

Ok thanks. I usually have a can of tuna or two eggs plus dressing plus a large portion of veg. For the desert, I usually have a treat: a chocolate, peanut butter or beer. And also a hot chocolate. Is it enough?
  • ms_lindsay
    ms_lindsay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I run with my kids pushing a stroller so i get a huge burn too, I usually have a protein shake and a salad with grilled chicken or an epic sammich on sprouted grain bread with chicken, veggies, hummus, avocado, etc. BUT a cold beer after a hard run is definitely a fav, although I run in the AM so that doesn't happen often ;)
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I run with my kids pushing a stroller so i get a huge burn too, I usually have a protein shake and a salad with grilled chicken or an epic sammich on sprouted grain bread with chicken, veggies, hummus, avocado, etc. BUT a cold beer after a hard run is definitely a fav, although I run in the AM so that doesn't happen often ;)

What kind of shaker do you have after your cardio session? A high protein and low carbs shake? A high carb shake?
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Eat a snack of carbs and protein. Usually no more carbs than 2x the protein. Balancing the carbs and protein will help maintain your blood sugar so you don't crash.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I usually almost 1100kcal per cardio session. What should I eat after this? Lot of carbs?

After my long runs, in the order of 2000 cals, I generally hoover up falf a dozen pieces of fruit, a bottle of SIS Rego (carb/ protein recovery drink) and a couple of granola bars.

Other than that I just eat as normal.
  • ms_lindsay
    ms_lindsay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Usually I will do something like:
    1 cup unsweetened almond/coconut milk (or half milk half water), half a frozen banana, 1 scoop chocolate whey protein isolate, 1 TB natural peanut butter and lots of ice or
    1 cup unsweetened almond/coconut milk(or half milk half water) half a frozen banana, 1 cup frozen berries, handful spinach, 1/4 avocado, 1 scoop vanilla protein power, ice

It ends up being more carbs than protein. I don't focus too much on how many grams of each I get per meal, I just focus on a good balance and making sure I meet my macros (carbs,protein,fat) by the end of the day.

What kind of shaker do you have after your cardio session? A high protein and low carbs shake? A high carb shake?
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i do cardio all the time .. i dont go for anything in particular i just eat :0