zucchini pasta

Options
I love substituting zucchini in pasta dishes to stretch them out (for less calories!), but I don't want to invest in a zucchini pasta maker if it is going to fall apart. The 'as-seen-on-tv' products are not always reliable. What are people's thoughts?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I hate zucchini, but I have made lasagna with strips of eggplant instead of noodles and it came out quite good.

ETA: Oh, and I didn't buy some special pasta maker...I just used a regular kitchen slicer/mandolin.
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ^Agree with previous poster... use a slicer/mandolin or food processor to shred it or just cut it up... I've put pasta sauce over it when I just sliced it in "coins".

I'm lazy though haha.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'd use a potato peeler to make ribbons since I already have one for imitation looking pasta. But preferably, I'd just chop up the vegetables with a knife. I like vegetables -- for me there's no reason to disguise them as pasta.
  • bjscren
    bjscren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love using zucchini instead of pasta! I bought a Zyliss Julienne Peeler for $8.99 on Amazon. It works great for cutting a few zucchini or carrots into spaghetti-like strips and doesn't take up storage space.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I love using zucchini instead of pasta! I bought a Zyliss Julienne Peeler for $8.99 on Amazon. It works great for cutting a few zucchini or carrots into spaghetti-like strips and doesn't take up storage space.
    Oh, neat. That I'd actually buy. :bigsmile:

311GrkpiMTL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018ICHH2

ETA: Except I have no use for it... It's a good thing I don't watch infomercials. I'd run out of space and money buying this stuff.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'd use a potato peeler to make ribbons since I already have one for imitation looking pasta. But preferably, I'd just chop up the vegetables with a knife. I like vegetables -- for me there's no reason to disguise them as pasta.

I agree with you - I love just eating raw veggies like cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, etc. and cooked broccoli, broccoli rabe, onions, green beans, peas, corn, etc.

However, I LOVE pasta. So much. I haven't tried the "veggies disguised as pasta" approach yet, but I'm considering it - not to boost my veggie intake, but to decrease my pasta cravings.

So, to everyone in this thread, does zucchini pasta satisfy pasta cravings? I kind of doubt it (too good to be true).
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Basics-Spiral-Vegetable-Slicer/dp/B00H4F9LXG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1399433549&sr=8-5&keywords=veggie+spiral+cutter

We didn't get the fancy as see on TV one either ... the exact one we got isn't there anymore.. but it was basically this one.. and it works great...
    I find thou that after cooking them.. squeeze them through cheesecloth or a towel.. get as much of the water out of them as possible.. or you end up with alot of liquid on your plate ..
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just made some with a vegetable peeler and mixed it with fettuccine noodles. It turned out great and since I'm lazy and cheap, I think I'll stick with way for now. Thanks everyone!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Just made some with a vegetable peeler and mixed it with fettuccine noodles. It turned out great and since I'm lazy and cheap, I think I'll stick with way for now. Thanks everyone!
    That's great. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. :smile: