Ate over my cals today and feeling bad

Options
megnay
megnay Posts: 65 Member
I started my healthy eating plan along with the 30 Day Shred. I was feeling so good up until today, when I overate by 266 calories. I've realized I'm a total stress eater. I'm getting into my new work schedule and feeling so tired and without energy waking up so early to get to work. For some reason I felt emotionally weak today, and ended up overeating. Although it wasn't "bad' food, I still feel crappy about it. Although I'm still motivated, I'm not feeling as good lately about my routine like I used to. I know I'm only on day 9 of 30DS, but I can't shake the "I want results and I want them NOW" attitude.

Want to get out of this funk :(

Replies

• 20kiloman
    20kiloman Posts: 2
    Options
    Well, be a little patient on yourself and have some faith it will all be over just as you wake up tomorrow. You are not alone, I had it 2 days back and I was depressed bout it and today I'm still dropping my BMI. So, it's really just that spur of the moment of feeling bad. But really it's just 266. Go for a walk, a swim , walk up the stairs today, go for low fat counters to make up for it. If not, prolly it'll just be a 31 day goal.

You live to be happy, not for the 266. Get out of it with a feel good song, movie or whatever that makes you feel good again!

Cheer up!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It's one day at 266 over ... the calories are no big deal, your (over)reaction is.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Host a pool party!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Dont feel bad. 266 calories over for one day isn't really a huge deal. I'm sure you are still in a deficit! In the long run, today is just a very minor bump in the road and you will get through it. I know its frustrating but it really won't make a dent in your long term weight loss.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not about perfection. You need to learn to be a little more gentle with yourself or you're not going to succeed at this. Consider why you're overeating...is your deficit too large (aiming for 2 lbs instead of a more appropriate goal)? Are you not eating a portion of your exercise calories back? Stress? TOM? Identify the problem, fix it, have patience, move on with life.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Acceptance is key to weight loss. Acceptance that results do not come over time. Acceptance that you must be patient. Acceptance that if you want to reach your goal you have to soldier on even when you don't feel like it. Acceptance that you will not do it perfectly and you will go over your calorie goal countless times before you reach your goal.

Many of us are emotional eaters. There is that moment for all of us when you feel down and you want to comfort yourself with food. In that moment you have to decide what you want more - temporary comfort from food and the consequences that go with it or sticking to your plan and learning that you can go through whatever life brings your way without using food as a crutch.

266 calories is not bad at all. You really didn't go over by much. There's nothing you can do about it now anyway. Let it go and try to do better next time. It will be much harder for you to succeed if you have a big emotional reaction to food and going over your calories.

I'm glad you came here to vent about it. When this happens to a person just starting out, and it usually does, that's when they're tempted to quit. Don't quit. Just work on the acceptance thing and climb right back on that horse.

BTW, what's your calorie goal?
  • holmjm4
    holmjm4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with others! Don't beat yourself up, that will do way more damage to you as a "stress eater" than the 266 calories ever will. If you're lacking energy do a 30 minute workout, get more sleep at night, and increase your protein. You should be eating approximately 1 g of protein for every lbs you are in order to shed the fat and have the energy to do so. Good luck, stick with it!
  • dangerousdumpling
    Options
    I agree with others! Don't beat yourself up, that will do way more damage to you as a "stress eater" than the 266 calories ever will. If you're lacking energy do a 30 minute workout, get more sleep at night, and increase your protein. You should be eating approximately 1 g of protein for every lbs you are in order to shed the fat and have the energy to do so. Good luck, stick with it!

Should be 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass not body weight.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    266?
    That's it?

Won't effect your weight loss goals one bit.
  • megnay
    megnay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Acceptance is key to weight loss. Acceptance that results do not come over time. Acceptance that you must be patient. Acceptance that if you want to reach your goal you have to soldier on even when you don't feel like it. Acceptance that you will not do it perfectly and you will go over your calorie goal countless times before you reach your goal.

Many of us are emotional eaters. There is that moment for all of us when you feel down and you want to comfort yourself with food. In that moment you have to decide what you want more - temporary comfort from food and the consequences that go with it or sticking to your plan and learning that you can go through whatever life brings your way without using food as a crutch.

266 calories is not bad at all. You really didn't go over by much. There's nothing you can do about it now anyway. Let it go and try to do better next time. It will be much harder for you to succeed if you have a big emotional reaction to food and going over your calories.

I'm glad you came here to vent about it. When this happens to a person just starting out, and it usually does, that's when they're tempted to quit. Don't quit. Just work on the acceptance thing and climb right back on that horse.

Thanks so much for this. Really appreciate it.

MFP is telling me to eat 1630/day. I also did the calculation myself and got the same amount. At first the number seemed high, as I always went by the 1200 rule (which I found out is WAY too low). Now it's very doable, just hope I'm eating the right stuff. I really don't know how to get more protein than I am already getting... I never drink protein shakes on work days, I just can't fit it in properly. Maybe that's something I should factor in daily?
  • dangerousdumpling
    Options

Thanks so much for this. Really appreciate it.

MFP is telling me to eat 1630/day. I also did the calculation myself and got the same amount. At first the number seemed high, as I always went by the 1200 rule (which I found out is WAY too low). Now it's very doable, just hope I'm eating the right stuff. I really don't know how to get more protein than I am already getting... I never drink protein shakes on work days, I just can't fit it in properly. Maybe that's something I should factor in daily?

Since you're just starting out don't worry too much about getting lots of protein. Just work on sticking as close as you can get to 1630. Once you've gotten used to that you can try to increase your protein if you feel you need to. It is helpful, but not a must for everyone. It can be too much of a challenge to change too many things at once.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Meh, my boss bought pizza for the office and I could not resist. About 700 cals over. I'll definitely be going to the gym after work, but not 700 cals worth!
  • turtlefan137
    Options
    I'm at the same calorie count. It takes a little while to get comfortable at that place. People are telling you not to worry and that it won't set you back, but I feel the same way. Obsessing about it, however, does nothing but make you hate yourself. One option is to eat 80 calories less for three days in a row if you're really stressed about it.

How are you eating that protein is a challenge?
  • Fattackler2013
    Fattackler2013 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. You did go over by much and even if you do some days then it is not going to nullify everything that you have done. It's not like you're going to put any weight back on immediately. Keep it up and just be a little patient because you'll see results soon and you'll realise that it was worth the wait; furthermore you only want to lose weight at a healthy pace otherwise you'll run the risk of putting it back on. (I've been there)
  • hope199sunshine
    Options
    I am always under my calorie count but I always cross my carbs limit. At one side I feel happy for being under control for the calories but on the other side I am completely down for having more carbs. Plus mood swings make it worse. I feel guitly and can't help but stay irritated over every thing going wrong around me. People have started noticing my crankiness. This is really depressing.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Ate two pints of Ben & Jerry's for the first time since I started MFP; my cat is being put to sleep tomorrow. Just sayin'.
    :cry: