When can i start after baby?

Options
i am due in three weeks. (i won't make it that long if i have anything to say about it). i want to get back into working out as soon as possible since i have had a high risk pregnancy and all work outs have been put on hold. When is it too soon to start working out after the baby is born. i want to run a marathon in November for my 30th birthday and i don't know when i need to start training for that.

Replies

• Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    wait until you get cleared from your doc to start back doing exercise-- you can google marathon training and there are all sorts of training schedules out there.. my hubby trained 16 weeks for his-- before that he was running about 4 miles a day for 5 days a week.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I would think after your 6 or 8 week check up.
  • Shannoncore
    Options
    what about just going out and walking a couple of miles around the track?
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your dr. your ligaments and joints are loose after pregnancy--- you have to give you body time to heal, if not, you'll hurt yourself.
  • saxymarine00
    saxymarine00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would definitely not do anything until you are cleared by your OB. That is normally around 6 weeks. Listen to your body. You may be able to go for a little walk before then depending on how you heal.
  • simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you are. Not the high risk part, but the wanting to work out. I was on bed rest post pregnancy for 2 weeks thanks to a severely sprained ankle that I got while walking around trying to persuade my little man to make an appearance. I waited another 2 weeks then started taking short short walks, like 15-30 minutes max. That was mainly to get some fresh air and some free time. I started working out regularly again at 4 weeks. BUT every body is different. I started P90X not long after I got my OK from my OB. been fine ever since! :)
  • Shannoncore
    Options
    i want to try the P90X but i want to concentrate on my first marathon more. maybe the P90X will be my birthday present to my self. i have to get all this extra insulation off first.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Hey Shannon!!

You can't start back hardcore until you get the ok from your doctor, for vaginal delivery it'll be around 6 weeks, for csection around 8 weeks! but I had a c-section and felt great after a couple of weeks and was cleaning house and running around like nobodys business!!! so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to take short walks while healing. Can't be no worse than all the cleaning I did! I wish it was warmer outside because I would def be walking!