1 Year Until My Wedding...advice on getting motivated?

Options
Hi all,

I am a female, age 22, 5'4 and 240 lbs. I was 160 in high school and looked great. I would love to try and work back to that, but I am just not sure where to get started. My wedding is 05/09/2015 and I want to look great in those pictures. I guess I feel overwhelmed with where to even start. I am also not sure if losing 80 lbs in a year is even possible. I would love to hear what some of you have experienced, as well as how much you ladies have been able to lose in a year. And any advice or tips on where to start would be so helpful!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Well done on leaving adequate time to get started. In one year you should be able to make a lot of changes.

Read this post to get started:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Just start.

If your own wedding isn't motivation enough, I don't think anyone else can motivate you.
  • studentgirly
    studentgirly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Surely your wedding, looking good at it and in the hundreds of photos should be motivation enough.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think 80 lbs in a year is totally possible. Even if it were only forty though, wouldn't you do it?

Take the slow and steady approach not only because it is good for your health and will yield prettier results but also because I am convinced that the bridezilla phenomenon has something to do with hangry.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You want to look amazing!
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    As others have said your wedding is motivation enough!!
  • flawwd
    flawwd Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sure, maybe a wedding is motivation enough for some people. But pictures and fitting into a dress are all about looks. Don't get me wrong, I like to look good and thinner too, but what about losing weight for health!!! For your life. To have the energy to run after your grandkids.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just start.

If your own wedding isn't motivation enough, I don't think anyone else can motivate you.

this!

Set MFP to lose 1.5lb per week (change to 1lb when you've lost 40lbs) and weigh, measure and log EVERYTHING... find some sort of exercise that you enjoy to do regularly and do some strength/resistance training.
  • Trina3813
    Trina3813 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to think short term and make achievable goals. This is what I did and it worked for me. The wedding is too far away to motivate you. Maybe think about wedding dress shopping. It is a lovely feeling being able to try on dresses that fit
  • xochristianna
    xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As someone who went through the whole "shedding for the wedding" phase, I can totally relate. However, I would caution you about making your wedding your ultimate motivation. The problem is that your wedding is just one day in time. If that's all your motivated for, there might not be anything stopping you from going back to old habits afterwards.

What works for me as motivation is not just the wedding/bride aspect, but that you've chosen to spend your whole life with someone - presumably someone who means a lot to you. There are a lot of health "issues" that come with being overweight, and if you don't change your lifestyle, those issues could get in the way of living the longest and the best life you will want to live with your new husband and potential family (if kids are for you).

It's always been motivation for me that I have to be healthy to live a long, happy life with my husband, and making changes now will make it easier for you to do that in the future.
  • fordmusic
    fordmusic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Add some people that will help keep you on track. Feel free to add me! 80lbs in a year is toatally possible.

My wedding is 10/3/ 2015b and i want to lose 60.

You can do it! :happy:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Hopefully your wedding is motivation enough! As for losing 80 lbs in a year, I happened to land in that ballpark... I'm 5'5" and went from 206.8 to 132.4 in a year.
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    if the wedding itself isnt motivation enough.. how about the honeymoon?:love:

or better yet, boudoir photoshoot to show off your new body to your soon-to-be-hubby? :blushing:
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have about a year until my wedding, and not looking terrible in my wedding pictures is for sure motivating. If you don't believe me, just Google, "bad wedding pictures," and see for yourself.
  • jessicaevelyn18
    Options
    Definitely use your wedding as motivation to lose weight, BUT don't let your wedding and honeymoon coming and going be an excuse to pack the pounds back on. I lost 70 pounds for my wedding and put it all back on since. I've since lost half of that, but will always be kicking myself for allowing my weight to get unhealthy again. Make a lifestyle change, don't diet. Something sustainable is always better in the long run than quick results!

Good luck. And no matter how much you lose, you'll be a beautiful bride :)
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Go put on your bikini right now and take pictures of yourself in it. Do this every month when you start working out. It's really working for me :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Sexypants link is repeated for emphasis.
    Try this. Follow this advice... Down-Arrow.png Eat sensibly, with a reasonable deficit.

Adopt-a-Noob is an awesome program. Read the first post in the thread. If you think it's a good idea for you, Read through the entire thread. All 9 pages. Select some mentors that you think might be a good fit for you, and message them. Don't post in the thread, that's not how it works. You might find some of the mentors who have posted on the last couple pages are more likely available. But, it's a good idea to read through the entire thread, anyways.
    [/quote]
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would focus on your food intake and understanding calorie/quantities/weighing food. Get started immediately because as the date gets closer you will have wedding showers, parties, dinners etc. that will completely throw you off if you don't have a good handle on counting calories. Don't over complicate your eating. Try to eat things that satisfy you but reduce the quantities to fit into your daily calorie counts. There's no magic combination of food, you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in a calorie deficit. As for exercise, do what you enjoy but don't rely on exercise to lose weight, it's all about the calories. Exercise will help shape you're body, but don't get fooled that if you do a work out you get to eat more. Slow and steady wins the race, don't do anything too radical or you'll burn out.

This is how I started. I lost 52lbs in a year, but I started at 183 and I took several vacations during the year. Still worked out to one pound a week in the end. With dedication and accurately recording everything that goes in your mouth I'm sure you will do better than me!
  • Alannah780
    Alannah780 Posts: 32
    Options
    Feel free to add me too!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Start NOW!

I say that because we all have success and failures along the way. Allow yourself room to have slip ups and to have times of plateau without worrying about needing to lose quickly which would only last short term.

Take this from me. I didn't get on top of my weight before my wedding day. I was 195lbs when I got married (5'10) and I was so unhappy with how I looked.

Of all days in your life, you DON'T want to feel anything less than beautiful on your wedding day.

It still hurts me how terrible I felt about myself on a day where I was supposed to feel amazing.

I'm now divorced, so I might have a second chance at some point.........and I'll sure as **** make sure i'm where I want to be, and comfortable with myself.

Get it girl :)