Is a bad workout really better than none at all?

Options
I see this online a lot , but whenever I ahve a workout that I just dont feel I gave it my all in I just feel bad for the rest of the day.

DO you believe that a bad workout day is better than none ?

Replies

• 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    no we all have off days when we dont reach our full workout capability, however it still counts, its still burning energy, it still raises the heart and works those muscle groups .
  • sunnyfleur2014
    Options
    I mean, technically it probably is better than nothing physically... but if you don't feel good after, mentally it didn't do anything. :( I had one of these cruddy workouts yesterday. I just was NOT feeling it.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I do think it's better than nothing. Not every workout is going to be amazing and perfect. It's like eating - there are good days and bad. But at least you got out there and got the job done. Tomorrow is another day.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Some is always better than non. I would keep in mind that you may not have burned as many calories as with a "great" work out.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    As long as you're not hurt, yes.

Better for your body, not necessarily your mood.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe a bad workout is better than none at all. Because even if you just burn 50 calories than had you done nothing at all, tt least that little bit will bring you closer to your goal.

Plus, a lot of times it is just a matter of getting "out there" and doing something before you start feeling motivated again...it can keep the routine/good habits.

With that said, if your workout requires a lot of intensity/skill and you are likely to get hurt if you are not at 100%, then maybe you should skip it. I mean, maybe skip that particular activity, but at least do "something".

As far as feeling bad for the rest of the day: Life is too short for regretting something that you can't change. No regrets. Just try harder next time.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    better than not doing anything almost like a deload day
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This was me yesterday. I was NOT feeling it. I was very tired. But I forced myself. And honestly? I realized that I hadn't put much effort into it, and probably didn't get as much out of the workout as I would normally get. In retrospect, I feel that I would have been better off not working out and giving my body the break and rest that it was blatantly telling me that I needed. But that's just me and my own experience.

If you MUST work out, maybe do a half of the work out. Or do a different workout that's a bit less taxing on your body.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yes I definitely do. I'm currently trying to work on my running as it's a really bad area for me. I always leave my time on the treadmill till the end of my cardio sesh as I know I'm not in a position to "give it my all" YET! But I also know if I keep chipping away at it & give it time I will improve. Totally worth it in my mind.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think its better than not working out at all, but at the same time it sucks because when it happens to me I just have a lousy day for the rest of the day. I had one of those workouts today... I didn't give it my all at the gym, I was so hungry and irritable and felt so crappy about my workout that I ended up being a little more lenient with what I ate for dinner.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that encouraging people to work out even when they don't want to can encourage unhealthy behavior (See: Not all bulimics purge with vomit, some use exercise). I'm assuming, because you said that if you don't feel a work out it makes you feel bad, that you mean working out even if you don't want to.

I should point out, that I think it might help people who are sedentary. As if you sit on your butt 24/7, exercise IS going to sound like a chore. And they need the motivation to get off their butt. However, I think too often people who do exercise make it sound like it IS a chore. And encouraging people to do it when they don't want to do it makes it feel like the only reason they're doing it is so they can eat X,Y,Z or burn off X,Y,Z. And that is how eating disorders form.

If you mean just a 'bad' workout as in not burning much or bad form or just doing nothing but yoga for just ten minutes, then yeah, I'd say that's better than nothing at all.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Any moving is better than sitting on the couch!
  • flabbybunker
    flabbybunker Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have agree with the folks who said some movement is better than none. I had a much better workout today han yesterday. I guess some days are gonna be great and other not so great gotta stick to the path consistantly though :)
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even if you didn't do as much as you would have hoped for, you still have to give yourself a pat on the back for working out at all rather than not doing anything!! The hardest thing to do is get on your workout shoes and actually start the workout when you first start working out (thats what I'm going through now! lol)

But just think of it as you will do better next time!!!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, a bad workout is still at least a workout and better than nothing. If a bad workout means I got hurt, though (like when I twisted my ankle being a klutz in step aerobics), then I'd have to vote for no workout being better!

Don't let it put you into a bad mood if you have one of those just-not-feeling-it workouts. It happens. Give yourself credit for working out anyway, and be proud.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Even when I'm not feeling a run, I'm still glad I did it when it's over.
    Because that means I get some extra calories, so I can soothe the pain with some ice cream later ;)
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have my days where my runs don't go well. I try to assess why they were bad and learn from it. It happens. You have learn from it and then move forward with the thought that the next workout will be better. You will regret not working out more than a bad workout.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I say no, for one main reason, recovery... recovery is just as if not more important than the work. A lot of times if you have a bad workout it could be due to insufficient recovery, if that is the case, no workout would have been better.
  • Vincisomethng
    Vincisomethng Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do you mean bad as in stopping a lot of times or bad as in not doing some of the forms correctly? Because doing some kind of workout is better than non at all, but doing the latter could result in injury.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    a bad workout is better than no workout atleast you did it :D