squats

Options
I was at the gym yesterday and noticed a woman doing squats with quite a bit of weights on the bar....well a lot to me since I'm only up to putting 10 on each side. Anyways, she was only going down a little ways each rep so this got me wondering about my own form. Is it better to put on more weight and go down only part way or less weight and go all the way? Wondering if I need to change up what I'm doing.

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    No, it's not better.

For all intents and purposes, going to parallel is your best bet. Yes, you can go deeper than parallel but really, unless you plan to do power lifting competitions, you don't have to concern yourself with it.

Partial reps CAN have a place in training, however that is a training method that more intermediate/advanced lifters may use.

What is more important is that you continue to increase the weight on the bar, the reps completed, etc. That is how you will see results.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Parrallel squats will engage the hamstrings, glutes and quads.

Partial squats mostly work the quads which can result in muscle imbalances.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Partial squats are used also for those with injuries, like myself. I have major damage in my right leg and my left one has overcompensated for so long it's got bad too. But you need to be building the glutes in other exercises until you can get the balance and strength (or so I have been told. I go to almost parallel though. I do feel it in my glutes and I am seeing changes in my glutes.
  • SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 7 of a 30 Day Squat Challenge. I looked up how to do a proper squat and found this youtube clip. Very helpful! :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYCiuiB4PA
    And wouldn't you know it, I was doing my squats incorrectly! Lucky for me, I have 21 more days to perfect them!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I see more knee bends squats at the gym than squats. This hasn't affected me in the least. I squat.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I see more knee bends squats at the gym than squats. This hasn't affected me in the least. I squat.

That is what I would say this was, but she had an extra 80 lbs on the bar so I guess it looked impressive to me who only just started adding 10 to each side :ohwell:
  • lindsaymarcin
    Options
    I'm on Day 7 of a 30 Day Squat Challenge. I looked up how to do a proper squat and found this youtube clip. Very helpful! :)
    And wouldn't you know it, I was doing my squats incorrectly! Lucky for me, I have 21 more days to perfect them!

Awesome! Thanks for the info! :)
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Before you go "heavy" just make sure your form is correct so you don't injure yourself.

Try incorporating some different variations of squats as well - like split squats, Bulgarian split squats, etc.

I always check out bodybuilding.com for some other variations and correct form :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

power cursties.

We were joking with a set of guys doing power curtsies next to me- seriously- 275- and maybe 10 " ROM. Shameful.

The guy then had the audacity (when the manager called him out) and said- my wrists are bothering me.

LOL WUT.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    *kitten* TA' GRASS

But really, keep going down further and the weights will come with strength. Like someone else said, don't lose your form is what's really key!
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Bumping to watch the video once I get home!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Saw an article yesterday that said, "Squats is like sex. It doesn't count if you don't go deep." lol... While it's a little of a stretch I get what the person was saying. You keep going to parallel. As you get stronger you will still be able to go parallel with more weight. Doing full squats no matter what people will say also puts less stress on the knee. When you do partials your knees are always under stress stopping in the middle to go back up. More likely to injure yourself.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    People who don't do them right are just cheating themselves. I go ATG with everything up to body weight. When I put more than body weight on the bar, I go just below parallel. When I can go ATG, I will up the weights more. That's the way I've been doing it lately, and I've had a respectable progression.

I get compliments on my squat form from people in the gym who know what they're doing, and I'm very happy about that. For me doing it right is far more important than bragging about how much I can squat.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    power cursties.

This made me LOL.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Always do your best to hit parallel and keep progressively increasing the weight on your bar. Forget about the weights and or range of motion of anyone else as the only thing which should be important to you is getting it correct for yourself. When you are lifting in the gym , few people will pay much attention to you when there is little weight on the bar, even if your form is spot on. But given time with big increases of weight combined with proper form and depth, they will take notice. Maybe one day this quarter squatter will try to emulate what you are doing.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    *kitten* TA' GRASS

But really, keep going down further and the weights will come with strength. Like someone else said, don't lose your form is what's really key!

This is ideal baring knee problems. When I had knee surgery for a meniscus issue, they also removed some arthritis from the knee as well. In my follow-up the surgeon said no squatting or lunges below parallel for me any longer. To be honest I still go a bit past parallel, but no more ATG.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ATG all the way...I deloaded to correct this because it aggravates my groin muscle if I don't go deep.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    tagging to watch the video later.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym yesterday and noticed a woman doing squats with quite a bit of weights on the bar....well a lot to me since I'm only up to putting 10 on each side. Anyways, she was only going down a little ways each rep so this got me wondering about my own form. Is it better to put on more weight and go down only part way or less weight and go all the way? Wondering if I need to change up what I'm doing.

This is one of those times when its best to focus on your own thing in the gym, and on training to meet "your" goals.
    With no knowledge of why she was training the way she was/what her goals are, you witnessed her squatting a certain way, and now you are comparing your own workout to hers. There is no need for this.

Your description of going only part way or all the way doesn't really give us enough information to help you determine if your form is "correct" or needs to be changed.
  • lindsaymarcin
    Options

This is one of those times when its best to focus on your own thing in the gym, and on training to meet "your" goals.
    With no knowledge of why she was training the way she was/what her goals are, you witnessed her squatting a certain way, and now you are comparing your own workout to hers. There is no need for this.

Your description of going only part way or all the way doesn't really give us enough information to help you determine if your form is "correct" or needs to be changed.

Actually lots of people seem to have been able to answer my question based on what I said. Your right that I don't know her reasoning or what her goals are. I was not exactly comparing my workout to hers just asking if it was better to use more weight and only go down partial or use what I can handle going parallel. Still new to lifting so when I see something different I'm curious:smile: