Stuck in a Plateau

Options
In 2011/12 I lost over 70lbs doing weight watchers. For the last 9 months I have been stuck at a plateau with another 30lbs to lose to meet my goal. Weight Watchers was no longer working for me so I quit that and joined here. I am still struggling to lose weight. The battle is more so with food than with exercise. I am bombarded with snacks and goodies at work and my family doesn't want me to stop buying their "unhealthy" snacks which I like to eat too even though I know they are bad for me. I need to buckle down and be more accountable. As for exercise, I walk and run and since the weather is better I've started gardening again. I have a friend that is insanely into beach body workouts and is a coach there who is going to add me to her group for a 10 day challenge starting after Mother's Day. My oldest son is also getting married in August 2015 and I want to look good for that. I do feel like I need more motivation and support here though, and would love to have more friends who can keep me in line!

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Hey girl...
    As far as the goodies and snacks and the unhealthy stuff that your family likes... Your answer to all of that is simple:
    HELL NO.
    That's it... just a big resounding "NO" and move on. :smile:
    Don't over think this.
    You have lost a bunch of weight so you already know what to do.
    Eat clean, train dirty, never stop.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your son getting married next year! :smile:

Feel free to add me. It's okay to have the "bad snacks" in moderation, don't beat yourself up but do hold yourself accountable. :flowerforyou:
  • stkalcevich1
    Options
    whats wrong with buying them the crap food and you not eating it? I dont eat my girlfriends junk food or pop ever.
  • MariaMN1567
    MariaMN1567 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It is hard to have snacks around and not eat them. I am not good at saying NO. I still track it all though and try to keep my calories within my limit. I would just rather have healthy snacks in the house instead of chips and cookies. Not just for me, for my family too. At work I have absolutely no control over what is in the breakroom for snacks. I'm a nurse and not only do my coworkers bring in goodies like candy and cheetos and yummy deserts, our patients and their families bring us goodies to share. It's hard to say no to patients.
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Me too. I lost 40 pounds over a two year period. The first 30 came off pretty fast - the last 10 took about a year. Now I may lose two one morning then I check again a few days later and it has returned. That's why my records show I have only lost 6 pounds and I have been on this site for over a year. My issue is not the food - I think I have that down - I allow myself indulgences from time to time but I usually cut something out to allow for a treat. My issue is exercising. I walk every day because I don't have the knees to run. I do a little over 2 miles at lunch generally during the week then on the weekends I try to get in longer walks. When I first started the journey I could not walk (I would trip and injure myself) so I would wake up at 4:30 in the morning and do an exercise routine off cable like kickboxing or something - then at night after everyone had gone to bed I would exercise again - alternating between strength training, cardio, and stretching.keep thinking tomorrow I will wake up early and get it in gear. You can add me as well - I will cheer you on.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Best way to overcome those temptations cause the rest of the household doesn't want to support you is to pre plan your daily foods.
  • Ldavidson112
    Options
    I am stuck in a plateau as well. Trying to get refocused. I would like to know more about the 10 day challenge?
    As for the snacks, I have teenage boys in my house and try to stay away from their unhealthy snacks--it is hard. I am trying to buy them healthy food we can all eat. I found these Quinoa chips by Simply 7 that are delish and give you the fix of crunching. 140 calories 9 grams of protein--serving size 20 chips. A little high in sodium, but not that bad. Can't wait to hear about the 10 challenge, might be just what I need to refocus.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes, food prep and planning is key. It really helps to keep you on track and gives you the ability to say "No" to work place temptations and even at home temptations. If you plan/prep your foods and space them out appropriately you won't have to give in to temptation because you'll already have your own healthy stuff ready and available.

Plateau's suck... I've been working to lose my last few vanity pounds forever and finally came to the conclusion that my body is where it needs to be to remain healthy. But I had hit plateau's at other times when I still needed to lose weight. You have to change up your foods, amount of calories, types of foods, times of day you eat and exercise... In other words confuse your body LOL. Your body gets used to the same routine and will just settle in after a while. Keep it guessing and make it work!

I just switched over to TDEE to lose a half a pound per week and it's a wonderful and stress free plan. You might want to think about doing that if you are not already.