protein

Options
I need help with protein. I am suppose to be between 60 and 70 grams, but majority of the time i never make it. I need some suggestions on what i could add to my diet other than the protein shake. thanks in advance

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    How much meat are you eating? I'm supposed to be around 70g but pretty much go over every day without even trying. Feel free to look at my diary for suggestions. If meat isn't your thing, quinoa has protein and can be used in place of rice, oatmeal or whatever. Nuts also have some, I routinely snack on raw almonds. Good luck :)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy "clean" meats such as turkey, skinless chicken, fish, eggs or even beans. Nuts have protein but are also high in fat. Avoid alot of red meat limit it to once a week. Which red meat does contain high amounts of protein but should only be eaten in moderation due to the fact that it has alot of saturated fat in it. I hope that I am of help.
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am wondering Brent, what is quinoa and where might one find it? Congrats on your success so far and best wishes as you continue on your journey:)
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't always have to come from meat. Cottage cheese, lowfat milk, soymilk, peanut butter, hummus, and lentils are all good sources of protein when you're not in a meaty mood. I would care less about the percent daily values and focus more on getting some protein in every meal.

-also-
    Here's a convenient snack idea: take some slices of deli meat (the equivalent of 3-4 ounces) and wrap each one in a lettuce leaf. You can put cheese in there, too, if it suits you.
  • Yleija
    Yleija Posts: 16
    Options
    great suggestions guys will try them all. thanks so much :happy:
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am wondering Brent, what is quinoa and where might one find it? Congrats on your success so far and best wishes as you continue on your journey:)

I know I already answered via PM but just in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future...

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is one of the so-called ancient grains and is similar in texture/appearance to cous-cous. You can generally find it in the organic or health food sections of most grocery stores. Since it contains all of the amino acids it is considered a "complete" protein.

Thanks for the kind words and best of luck to you as well :)
  • irishangelmum
    Options
    I'm with Brent... I too am a HUGE fan of quinoa and there are so many GREAT recipes out there for delicious ways to incorporate it into dishes. It is a good source of protein, along with other things, especially if you prefer not to eat meat or can't tolerate certain meats like me. Most grocery stores carry it now and, if not, a local health market should have it.