Low vs High Carb, Mindful Eating and Hawthorne Effect

Options
EvgeniZyntx
EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
A recent post over at Precision Nutrition covers the voyage of a low carber back to high carbs. I found it worth sharing because of it's non-dogmatic nature and who the author is...

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/low-carb-convert

In summary, a Dr Spencer, the director of examine.com (if you don't know that site, you should), a practicing physician and nutrition expert tried a personal experiment of transition from low carbs to high carbs during a period of competition training. He observed, *for himself* :

- improved gym performance
- weight loss (due to calorie restriction not carb choice)
- improved metabolic markers
- reduced bf%

As his experiment is a n=1 thingambob (and his bf% change is not significant due to method error) it is basically useless as an experiment. So why record and why bring it to your attention?

It is of interest as a challenge to personal thought modes and mindful eating. He challenged his beliefs (low carb) tried something a bit different and found out through careful data tracking and measurement that it worked for him. Careful tracking, or observational change, what he calls "mindful eating" is probably the single most important influence.

He notes and this would be my guess too that he was simply paying more attention. He writes: "Well, I believe that I subconsciously lowered my calories on those first few days. Quite simply, I was more aware of what I was eating."

The act of measuring and tracking or observing impacts results. This is called the Hawthorne Effect from research carried out in the 1920's. (It is also the basis of one of the better Star Trek episodes but that is another subject.) When we track we improve performance.

So thsoe results above? Are they due to high carbing? Maybe not. Perhaps the performance results but the author notes:
"This [tracking] would also explain the changes in my metabolic markers, because a hypocaloric (or lower calorie) diet will typically improve those as well."

His conclusion?

Whether you are high or low carbing - or something in between, tracking and measuring make a difference. Before "switching it up", if you’re trying to make any kind of physical change, no matter what diet you choose, he strongly recommends you measure and track your food for a little while. Don’t make yourself crazy with it. But do make yourself more aware.

Makes sense to me.

Oh and on the diet carb restriction thing? He notes, "The fact is, restriction almost never works well over the long term. And most of us feel, look, and perform our best with a balanced diet that includes some lean protein, healthy fats, and quality carbs."

Makes sense to me.

What to do? He writes "Don’t just speculate on what you think you might need. Actually try it. Get some evidence. Track and measure your intake; observe your workout performance and overall energy levels — heck, even get some bloodwork done if you’re willing to put your money where your quinoa-eating mouth is. Gather data on yourself. Think of it as writing your Owner’s Manual."

Makes sense to me. But do it correctly, change small variables at a time, track BEFORE changes. Measure BEFORE changes. Give yourself a baseline.

tl;dr - track it to make sense of it.

Replies

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Good food for thought. I do find tracking has many benefits.
  • Dugleik157
    Dugleik157 Posts: 10
    Options
    I was looking for posts on this here!

I read the post and didn't object to any of it. It basically said keep an open mind and look for evidence not feels, then do what works for you and don't be a smarmy prick about it because you are not the messiah and have not found the one and only true diet, just the diet that works for you. And I like that message.

Edit: because the word I used for male genitalia wasn't polite enough? I don't know.
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    somehow low carb used to work for me but now I cannot stick to it. My addiction is fruit .
  • Dugleik157
    Dugleik157 Posts: 10
    Options
    somehow low carb used to work for me but now I cannot stick to it. My addiction is fruit .

And as the article states it probably worked because you started to be mindful of what you ate when you changed diet. Fruit is all kinds of awesome, so good for you for not breaking of with it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

And as the article states it probably worked because you started to be mindful of what you ate when you changed diet. Fruit is all kinds of awesome, so good for you for not breaking of with it.

That's really the key message.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Being an extremely picky eater, my weight loss had to come from simple calorie counting. I am a "carbitarian" and never get the recommended meat/veg/fruit/water. When I quit doing my diary and paying attention to what I eat (caloric intake-wise), I gain. No matter how long I maintain my weight (last round was maintained over a year), if I quit doing the diary I will start to gain back.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    A recent post over at Precision Nutrition covers the voyage of a low carber back to high carbs. I found it worth sharing because of it's non-dogmatic nature and who the author is...

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/low-carb-convert

In summary, a Dr Spencer, the director of examine.com (if you don't know that site, you should), a practicing physician and nutrition expert tried a personal experiment of transition from low carbs to high carbs during a period of competition training. He observed, *for himself* :

- improved gym performance
    - weight loss (due to calorie restriction not carb choice)
    - improved metabolic markers
    - reduced bf%

As his experiment is a n=1 thingambob (and his bf% change is not significant due to method error) it is basically useless as an experiment. So why record and why bring it to your attention?

It is of interest as a challenge to personal thought modes and mindful eating. He challenged his beliefs (low carb) tried something a bit different and found out through careful data tracking and measurement that it worked for him. Careful tracking, or observational change, what he calls "mindful eating" is probably the single most important influence.

He notes and this would be my guess too that he was simply paying more attention. He writes: "Well, I believe that I subconsciously lowered my calories on those first few days. Quite simply, I was more aware of what I was eating."

The act of measuring and tracking or observing impacts results. This is called the Hawthorne Effect from research carried out in the 1920's. (It is also the basis of one of the better Star Trek episodes but that is another subject.) When we track we improve performance.

So thsoe results above? Are they due to high carbing? Maybe not. Perhaps the performance results but the author notes:
    "This [tracking] would also explain the changes in my metabolic markers, because a hypocaloric (or lower calorie) diet will typically improve those as well."

His conclusion?

Whether you are high or low carbing - or something in between, tracking and measuring make a difference. Before "switching it up", if you’re trying to make any kind of physical change, no matter what diet you choose, he strongly recommends you measure and track your food for a little while. Don’t make yourself crazy with it. But do make yourself more aware.

Makes sense to me.

Oh and on the diet carb restriction thing? He notes, "The fact is, restriction almost never works well over the long term. And most of us feel, look, and perform our best with a balanced diet that includes some lean protein, healthy fats, and quality carbs."

Makes sense to me.

What to do? He writes "Don’t just speculate on what you think you might need. Actually try it. Get some evidence. Track and measure your intake; observe your workout performance and overall energy levels — heck, even get some bloodwork done if you’re willing to put your money where your quinoa-eating mouth is. Gather data on yourself. Think of it as writing your Owner’s Manual."

Makes sense to me. But do it correctly, change small variables at a time, track BEFORE changes. Measure BEFORE changes. Give yourself a baseline.

tl;dr - track it to make sense of it.

I'm on board for any pro-carb post! Pass the pasta please!!!!
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Totally agree...had to completely write my Owner's Manual. Everyone is different. That's all there is to it! I have a friend who maintains 160 pounds eating about 3000-4000 calories a day. Guess what? I can't! I got over it and figured out what's best for me...lower on the carbs, a little more protein, but definitely some of everything, just had to figure out how much of each.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I feel my best and most energetic when in a mild state of ketosis, which I can achieve through either a low carb diet or intermittent fasting and a mostly vegetable diet.

I suspect a lot of people who are losing weight and exercising vigorously are also in that mild state of ketosis, regardless of how many carbs they are eating.

But some people might feel like crap in any state of ketosis, and I certainly can't argue that counting calories and in general looking at what you're currently eating a good idea before changing anything.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Thanks, great article.

Sounds almost exactly the same as the experience of Professor Tim Noakes (author of Lore of Running), except his story is the exact reverse. He went from high carb to low carb

For the vast majority of his career as a professor of exercise and sports science in South Africa (also he has personally run over 70 marathons and ultra marathons) he has been a leading advocate of high carb diets.

However about 2010, based on new research he took a 180 degree turn around and has changed his opinion and stance on high carb diets to low carb diets (a life's work).

He also had the experiencing of losing additional weight when switching from high carb to low carb.

I personally think there are a lot of people out there on the wrong diet for them.